Prescience International

Melinda Richter

Manager - Note: Prescience is now part of Janssen Labs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Prescience International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clients were great to work with.

Cons

Terrible place to work. Like the other reviews, it looks great from the outside but the senior management is immature, incompetent and entitled. The most disorganized group I've ever worked with. They are too busy trying to look good & networking than actually completing work. Little is accomplished during work hours so they send emails/text at all hours of the night, weekends, and holidays - and expect immediate response. The amount of back stabbing and gossip from senior employees causes everyone to walk on eggshells.

The CEO (now Director) M.R. is a complete diva, prone to childish outburst and demands. The Project "Leader" has ZERO leadership or management ability. She spends too much time gossiping about clients and employees and being the Director's personal sycophant.

The most unprofessional and incompetent group I've ever had the unfortunate luck to work with. When I finally left I was almost skipping out the door.

To the new Janssen management: get rid of the entire Prescience group
    To the Prescience managers: get over yourselves and grow up.

A horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Prescience International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the customers and contractors that had business with and as a team with Prescience was a delight that made the experience worth while.

Cons

In my opinion this is a horrible place to work. The management keeps secrets, fills the workplace with emotional outbursts, and micro-manages its employees. I was told to anticipate what the owner had agreed to do while attending meetings we were not invited to and that I was to be evaluated on these tasks. I was also told that we had to be excessively preoccupied with the needs of the owner in order to make sure that she was insulated from the issues of day to day business. The business model changed from one week to the next and they were still trying to figure out the basics of running a business after a years of operating.

Go on a long vacation.

Most Unprofessional Company I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Prescience International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to meet people from every aspect of the biopharmaceutical industry.

Cons

1. Cronyism: What passes for upper management is highly overpaid and underperforming. Their salaries relative to other employees is double or even triple the pay, yet there is no visible basis to the position or salary other than seniority. "Upper Management" is basically a code-word for BFF's.
    2. Lack of Transparency: Employees have little to no information to what is happening even in day-to-day operations. There is a lack of clarity to direction, planning, and operations. Everything is a secret; whispers are common, despite someone being only 10 feet away. It's hard to not feel paranoid.
    3. Unprofessionalism: Managers are that in name only; they have little to no training or record of success to merit their positions; they routinely speak ill of other employees, they work their own hours off-site or at home or God knows where. I've seen business come crashing to a screeching, flaming halt while these people are still paid to do nothing. Clients are treated like purses to be snatched; there is no respect for their business other than money. Operational support, supposed to be our specialty, is a joke. There is no budget for simple items like coffee and pens, let alone money for equipment or repairs. A "state-of-the-art facility" is more like a beautiful facade hosting a crackhouse inside. I firmly believe our clients have been sold a bill of goods that is completely worthless. Accounting cannot do payroll, expense reports are not signed, bills are not paid, equipment is not repaired, yet much is expected from lower-tier employees.
    4. Lack of Benefits: Benefits are terrible; high-priced insurance that will not cover family, no 401k match, no dental/vision, nothing else to speak of. Oh wait, a gym membership . . .

Put together a real operational and upper management team, and let them do their job. The lie that is Prescience can only be told so many times before the industry catches on.

Worst Work Environment

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Prescience International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity to meet people, Fun parties, Lots of press opportunities

The company could be a good stepping-stone for career growth. There are many people that flow through the company’s business units so employees meet lots of prospects for future employment.

Cons

The company works you to death. They constantly email you and give no team involvement. On the outside it seems like they govern their projects well but once you are inside you realize there’s backstabbing, trash talking, high stress, poor organization, no company structure, and overall bad attitudes from everyone working there.

hire more people to support your staff and get rid of the bad attitudes

Prescience International Photos