PresenceLearning Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
4.5
Clay Whitehead & Jack Lynch

1. The smartest, nicest, most collaborative and productive team I have ever worked with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning

Pros

Super smart peeps with good senses of humor
    Highly collaborative environment
    We are making a difference everyday in kids' lives
    Having fun creating a new kind of business
    Convenient downtown SF location

Cons

Long commute from the Southbay :-(

Advice to Management

Keeping growing!

2. Best work environment I've experienced so far!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome people that are very down to earth, hardworking and intelligent
    -Great perks including happy hours, catered lunch, monthly employee appreciation parties
    -Convenient office location in the heart of FiDi
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Lots of growth opportunities

Cons

-We're growing out of our space but good news is that we're moving soon
    -Everyone has a lot on their plate so sometimes things can be hectic, you have to have great time management skills
    -Direction is not always there so you also have to take the initiative to figure things out on your own

*The last two comments are actually not cons to me personally but some people may not like them. You definitely have to be a self-starter at this company who is flexible and willing to take on tasks outside of our job function.

Advice to Management

Keep up whatever you are doing to make this company a great place to work at! As we grow, try to stay true to our company culture and in tune with what current employees want.

3. Working from home and making a difference!

Current Contractor - SLP in Savannah, GA
    Current Contractor - SLP in Savannah, GA

I have been working at PresenceLearning as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Like the title of my review says, the opportunity to work from the comfort of home and do the job I love is an amazing combination. This is my second year working with Presence Learning and it has been so exciting to watch the company grow! What makes Presence Learning stand out is its ability to provide support for all contracted employees. Help is always an e-mail away and response time is incredible. There is a sense of purpose from the home office that trickles down and makes you want to be a part of it. Lots of encouragement and positive feedback from supervisors! I also believe that my impact as a therapist has improved tremendously as I am able to work with students one on one. After working in the public schools for over 10 years, the shortage of SLPs created stress and havoc in the work environment. I had lost my motivation and faith in the ability to make a difference in the lives of the children I so deeply cared about. Presence Learning has provided me the opportunity to work with the population I love, in an educational setting, and strengthen my impact and skills as an SLP. I am grateful!

Cons

As a contracted employee, health benefits are not an option and quarterly tax filing is necessary.

Advice to Management

I would love to have the opportunity to be an employee, rather than a contracted position. I would love the company to take out taxes and not have to file quarterly. I would love to see the company branch out into other settings for seasonal summer work.

5. I thought it was too good to be true... but it is true!

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Now in my third year with the company. I love it! Finally, a job that gives me the freedom to do what we are all trained to do... actual speech therapy! My groups are 1-3 kids and it shows in their progress. They love coming to speech and I love planning their sessions. I was afraid that I would lose the personal connection, but not at all. I feel just as attached to these kiddos as I did during my 15 years in my local public schools. The stress is gone! Yes, there is still paperwork, but it's paperwork with a purpose and not busy work. No more recess, bus, and cafeteria duties eating away at my schedule. Working from home has a million benefits, just ask my dogs! My supervisors treat me with respect and are also SLPs. And one more thing to brag about is our technology.... when I attended the ASHA conference and the telepractice workshops everybody was talking about the cutting edge things they are working on in development.... for each proposed idea I quietly raised my hand and said.... um... my PresenceLearning platform already does that!

Cons

You are an independent contractor. This means seeking elsewhere for your health benefits and you have to think ahead about setting aside your own tax withholdings. The compensation is a fair rate and you may have good intentions of getting forty hours a week of full time pay, but it's just not really possible even if you are putting in 40 hours a week of work. The reality is that in our work lives, we spend a lot of unrealized time eating lunch, checking email, planning sessions more in depth than necessary, and even 5 minute breaks add up more than I first anticipated. Being hourly is just a different world than being salaried. The biggest con is accepting the fact that I am now living with about one half of the income that I had before my move to telepractice. All that said, I am so much happier and healthier now, which is worth all the money in the world!

Advice to Management

The start of the school year is tough financially. As you wait for your caseload to be determined and assigned each year, it can be a painful waiting process. Getting this going faster would make a lot of people happier.

6. Cutting edge technology while improving the lives of kids!

I have been working at PresenceLearning

Pros

Very smart people that are respectful and collaborative. Founders are forward thinking and kind.

Cons

Nothing to report here. A great experience.

7. Best place to work

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm going on my fourth year with PresenceLearning. Folks are respectful and open to new ideas. Management is friendly, encouraging and willing to do what it takes to keep exceptional employees. Because of this, the entire company is overflowing with exceptional folks. I work hard. I support a company that believes in helping others thrive. I am appreciated. I work alongside folks who are motivated. PresenceLearning knows how to treat their employees. Thank you!

Cons

I find myself working too much because I enjoy it. I have to keep myself in check and find that work-life balance. The company is a start-up. Wearing many hats is key.

Advice to Management

Jack and Clay are friendly and down to earth. Their attitudes and beliefs trickle down through management and everyone is respectful and fair. We are growing fast! I hope we continue to have quality management and teamwork.

8. I have been contracting with PL for a year now.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at PresenceLearning as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home, make your own schedule, great supervisors and managers who treat you like a professional

Cons

Having a set schedule, low rate of pay

Advice to Management

Bump up the hourly rate.

9. Disorganized, poor communication

Current Employee - Independent Contractor
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor

I have been working at PresenceLearning

Pros

You can work at home

Cons

Very poor communication, lazy, sloppy communication with independent contractors. Poor attention to details.

10. Hard, Rewarding Work At A Company That Has Real Revenue

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Helping kids with disabilities, many of whom come from already disadvantaged backgrounds. I pinch myself every that I get to work at a tech firm that does good in the world and is actually growing fast
    -We were the 6th fastest growing company in San Francisco in the 2014 Inc 500 list, and 9th fastest growing in Silicon Valley
    -Working with fantastic people who care about their work
    -Low tolerance for BS
    -Management is effective in weeding out the poor performers and promoting and rewarding those who really add value

Cons

-This is not a party party start-up. We have beers and fun outings, but it's not like it's set up to keep brogrammers happy. I think that's a pro for a lot of people that work here, but I wouldn't mind a little more of a party atmosphere.
    -No one knows who we are, despite our fast growth. The founders are really focused on the core business metrics, at the expense of PR. That's fine, but I'd love a little more recognition for the scale and growth we're achieving. It's frustrating when everyone knows the company a friend works at that makes some meaningless app but no one knows our company, which is much bigger and more successful

Advice to Management

-You've heard them all at reviews and meetings. I'd like to see us doing more products even quicker than we are.

11. Working at the company

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. In a year and a half I've had multiple growth/promotion opportunities. Work life balance is great and stressed by upper management. You feel great at the end of the day because every day you know you're helping special needs kids. Company culture is strong, it's like a big family. I had very big expectations coming into this company and they've been met or exceeded in every way. Company is growing like crazy year over year meaning lots of opportunities and new roles opening up all the time.

Cons

Interview process is long, but it's improved since I started as the company has expanded.