PresenceLearning

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
4.6

Clay Whitehead & Jack Lynch

3 years with PresenceLearning and going strong!

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't feel like I'm working at a job. It feels like we are all on a journey towards something meaningful and big. Management and my peers are focused and driven. It's great to work alongside stellar people. Ideas are encouraged and folks take the time to explore different avenues towards better practices. It's an environment of constant change and huge growth. I'm excited to see where PresenceLearning will be next year!

Cons

Some folks will consider wearing many hats as a con. You really need to have a start up mentality to work in this company. Things are moving fast. We are getting big very quickly. You need to keep up with the fast pace.

Stay friendly and open to ideas. Don't change!

When work is meaningful

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bottom line here is service to children with special education needs. The company culture is supportive and focused on doing the right thing, while creating opportunities for growth and achievement. Management is responsive and approachable, and the entire team is passionate and attached to the outcome of the partnerships we forge. Work/life balance is also encouraged. There isn't a better place to work in the Bay Area.

Cons

It is hard to put down at times, even though balance is encouraged.

Why I love being a PresenceLearning SLP

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home is amazingly convenient and comfortable. As an independent contractor I feel like a partner rather than an employee. The owners and leaders of the company frequently request our input and feedback, and offer appreciated recognition of good performance. The attitude of cooperation and collaboration among my fellow therapists and the PL office staff is something that I haven't experienced to this extent elsewhere.

Cons

Being successful in this position requires a high level of autonomy and organization. You need to be able to work independently and communicate proactively with many people, from parents to teachers to fellow therapists to administrators.

Surround yourself with top noch professionals while reaching children across the nation!

Current Employee - Lead SLP in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead SLP in New York, NY

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am an SLP with over 25 years experience and have been working as an independent contractor with PresenceLearning for over three years. While there is a tremendous amount of independence, there is also access to hundreds of colleagues to ask questions regarding therapeutic techniques or clinical opinions. There are boundless opportunities from being a member of the "Assessment Team" or mentoring and managing other colleagues as a Lead, not to mention a very flexible schedule. The tech support is unbelievable , I feel like a valued member of this team and my colleagues are hard-working and passionate about what is all about- helping children.

Cons

Must be organized and manage your time well! If this is not your forte, be willing to learn.

Your striving for excellence is contagious!

I make a difference every day

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time

Pros

Everything I do each day while working for the company makes a difference in the lives of students with special needs and in the lives of those expert clinicians that provide intervention. But even better is to be on a team that is constantly pushing to deliver a better product to change the special education landscape. This is a great company, with a solid mission and an opportunity to MAKE change.

Cons

No two weeks are the same.

This is the most professionally satisfying place to work that I have experienced. Kids make incredible progress!

Current Employee - SLP in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - SLP in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is great to be able to have flexible weekly hours to work. As time zones across the country differ, you can work in a state with a time zone before your own or after, or both!
    Also, the array and amount of available materials you have at the tip of your fingers is amazing. And always growing. Every day I find new materials as soon as I open my therapy room!

Cons

It takes a little practice to be organized enough keep track of your indirect hours in detail in order to bill for your time.

You have created a community of people who know, respect and like each other without ever having met in person!

Hard, Rewarding Work At A Company That Has Real Revenue

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Helping kids with disabilities, many of whom come from already disadvantaged backgrounds. I pinch myself every that I get to work at a tech firm that does good in the world and is actually growing fast
    -We were the 6th fastest growing company in San Francisco in the 2014 Inc 500 list, and 9th fastest growing in Silicon Valley
    -Working with fantastic people who care about their work
    -Low tolerance for BS
    -Management is effective in weeding out the poor performers and promoting and rewarding those who really add value

Cons

-This is not a party party start-up. We have beers and fun outings, but it's not like it's set up to keep brogrammers happy. I think that's a pro for a lot of people that work here, but I wouldn't mind a little more of a party atmosphere.
    -No one knows who we are, despite our fast growth. The founders are really focused on the core business metrics, at the expense of PR. That's fine, but I'd love a little more recognition for the scale and growth we're achieving. It's frustrating when everyone knows the company a friend works at that makes some meaningless app but no one knows our company, which is much bigger and more successful

-You've heard them all at reviews and meetings. I'd like to see us doing more products even quicker than we are.

Supportive, collaborative environment

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is full of passionate, smart people playing their A-game. No one's ego gets in the way of getting the job done. There is excellent collaboration within teams as well as across teams. The environment is very supportive and people are both hired and encouraged to play to their strengths. On top of this, the staff truly likes and enjoys one another, and very few days go by where someone in company is recognized or thanked. Perhaps the best part are the constant stories we receive from the field where we've made a difference for a child or family. All of these things keep me highly motivated even in the busiest times.

Cons

The work can be very intense. If you are the kind of person who loves to have a lot going on and who thrives under pressure, you will find the company very energizing, but if not, then it is not the right place for you.

None - keep doing what you are doing.

Rewarding and exciting career opportunity

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PresenceLearning as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Headquarters, clinical supervisors. and tech support staff are incredibly responsive and excellent communicators. Even though we interact virtually, it feels like we all know each other and the team atmosphere is strong. The priority is clearly on providing high quality services, while also running a successful business. I am continually impressed by the expectation of excellence that is demonstrated and also promoted by the company. I love that I can structure my own workload and work schedule, which makes me available for my own family. The company seems interested in having well-balanced, experienced and highly talented therapists.

Cons

It takes time to learn how to effectively and accurately bill for your time. In the beginning, I worked a lot more hours than I was able to bill for. This was partly due to my learning curve in the billing area and also because of vague messages from the company about billing for what we do, but also keeping costs down for our school districts. I've been able to improve my time management and accountability systems throughout my day and feel like my billing and pay is more reflective of my work time. As the company continues to expand and grow, it's sometimes difficult to know who is still working with PL, where they're assigned, and how to connect.

Continue to stay connected with the clinicians, know what's happening in our partner school districts and stay involved in how therapy is provided. Continue to be responsive and accessible at all levels of the company. Continue to hold Town Hall meetings to build and improve the PL Team. And continue striving to hire talented therapists who provide high quality and keep the PL name highly respected in this field.

Working at the company

I have been working at PresenceLearning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. In a year and a half I've had multiple growth/promotion opportunities. Work life balance is great and stressed by upper management. You feel great at the end of the day because every day you know you're helping special needs kids. Company culture is strong, it's like a big family. I had very big expectations coming into this company and they've been met or exceeded in every way. Company is growing like crazy year over year meaning lots of opportunities and new roles opening up all the time.

Cons

Interview process is long, but it's improved since I started as the company has expanded.