Presque Isle Downs and Casino

Reset
1.9
Mike Tamburelli

1. Surveillance

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. 40 hours. Overtime usually there if wanted. Good overall work experience with surveillance equipment and programs.

Cons

No chance for promotions, usually stuck where you are at. Have to be well liked and in the "clique" to advance anywhere. Upper management, through out all departments.

2. Floor Supervisor

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Erie, PA

I have been working at Presque Isle Downs and Casino (More than a year)

Pros

Small easy to get to know guests

Cons

Not the most professional business environment

Advice to Management

Consistency in management style

3. Lower Your Expectations

Former Employee - Slot Technician in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Slot Technician in Erie, PA

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay as a slot technician. The ability to use pre-pay for employee meals. Set scheduling.

Cons

No compassion for the average worker. Management and communication among the supervisors is mediocre at best. Everyone doesn't follow the same policy.

Advice to Management

Train new employees more thoroughly.

5. not what it once was

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Erie, PA

I have been working at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time

Pros

there aren't many thing left that are positive but free salad bar and sandwiches for lunch

Cons

unfair promoting practices, pay not competitive to industry standards, unfair time off policies, unfair internal job posting practices, rules and policies change to suite management positive outcome, most rules and regulations are ignored if you're part of the "good ol' boys club", unfair distribution of duties, job descriptions are written with loop holes so you will be expected to do more than you expect

Advice to Management

remember what it was like before you were management and make decisions, accept responsibility for your short comings and mistakes and stop blaming everyone else

High Turnover Rate Makes Sense

Former Employee - Finance Department- Drop/Count Team in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Finance Department- Drop/Count Team in Erie, PA

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job as long as you don't have incredibly delinquent debts or a horrible criminal record, advancement opportunities, generally set scheduling, employee dining room offers 24/7 free salad bar, popcorn, and other fun stuff and free buffet on holidays.

Cons

Emphasis on customer service but we're pretty much expected to ignore people if we were in the process of the drop because of "security." Unfair standards that the drop team is held to compared to other financial departments that handle more money and have more access than we did. The wage isn't livable, they refuse to schedule any part time employees over 26 hours a week and even refuse to give their full time employees more than 36, and their shifts extent halfway through your day. It made it pretty impossible to land a second job while maintaining a work/ life balance of any kind. They provide barely any training and stress maximum efficiency, so all that happens is new employees are left to their own devices while everyone else picks up their slack. Management is only management because no one else will take this job for longer than a week. This job is extremely boring and physical so it's not for someone lazy, out of shape (or if you're like me just not interested in running around a casino floor pushing 200 pound metal carts).

Advice to Management

I left because it was not cost effective to work there, but also because one of the leaders made sexist comments all the time and talked about his right wing conservative uninformed religious opinions and is quoted as saying things like "If you don't believe in Jesus you're living life wrong." When I reported him asking me questions about my personal/ dating/ sex life as sexual harassment to a male supervisor he didn't regard it and just told the guy to not talk to me anymore. When I took it to the human resources they acted like my concerns weren't valid. The whole process was just a joke and really embarassing and made me question what these "union" representatives even do. Every unpopular decision that removed benefits from employees was a union decision when I worked there. This place's work atmosphere and values are a joke. Get it together.

7. Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Hours, always busy, great changes taking place, employee events, recognition of jobs well done

Cons

pay, taking time off impossible, favoritism, management does not know what is really going on or does not care to know, you try speaking with them and they blow you off or tell you to shut up and go do your job. Threats from boss. Screaming, yelling, cursing (and this is from staff members to staff)

Advice to Management

don't show favoritism towards people, follow through with complaints etc... don't just brush them off. and know there are always 3 sides to every story - his - hers- and the truth lies somewhere in between Don't allow one employee ruin things for people, or turn a blind eye. and refuse to believe what people are trying to tell you. Don't make your employees fail when in fact it was not their fault.

8. It was a horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Erie, PA

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get in your hours, but mainly only in the summer.

Cons

You always get your hours in the summer

Advice to Management

You need new management.

9. Dual Rate Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I have been working at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect Attendance Days, Employee Recognition Programs, Employee Fest and new CEO Mike T. is making good changes that have been needed for a while now.

Cons

You are around smoke constantly, hard to schedule vacation days, and low salary compared to other casinos in the area.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if they would raise the maximum raise amount. Even if you are the best at your job, the most you can make for a raise is 2%.

10. Very good place to work.

Former Employee - Surveillance Operator in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Surveillance Operator in Erie, PA

I worked at Presque Isle Downs and Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent traing, fun job, good managment.

Cons

Pay could be higher, can be stressful depending what shift you work.

Advice to Management

Some employees are incompetent, more effort should be placed on hiring good employees.

They will find a way to fire you

Pros

Fun place to work and never boring

Cons

Managment is completly self absorbed. They do not communicate effectivily nor do they have their employees best interest in mind. They find anything to fire you even when you follow all rules. The CEO was arrogant and made decisions based on his own selfish needs.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a chance...they may surprise you

RSS Feed </> Embed