Press Ganey

Updated August 14, 2014

3.1

Press Ganey CEO Patrick T. Ryan
Patrick T. Ryan

Pros
  • Get the opportunity to work from home and the company offers terrific benefits (vacation/insurance) (in 5 reviews)

• There are still some good people with a moral compass and try to do the right thing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Every position does require a lot of work but you do get recognized for your hard work (in 5 reviews)

• New management has come in and destroyed what was a great company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Once an enjoyable workplace has become not so enjoyable after all

Pros

co-workers and middle management are very supportive

Cons

New senior leadership has brought an east-coast attitude to business to midwest family life - the two are like oil and water. Some of us are now expected to be on call 24/7 and in the office until west coast business hours end....which is past dinner time for our families - for those of us with college degrees it shouldn't be a surprise that we are dissatisfied with being expected to work retail hours like this. No more bonuses and funds for celebrations have been given away to unfamiliar charities. Not cool.

You may not think that the satisfaction of employees is important and that you can just hire more people to replace those who have left, but all of our data we've collected for our clients says a high turnover and dissatisfied employees equal dissatisfied clients and decreased revenue...perhaps we need to practice what we preach?

The change in culture has been this organization's demise.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

The company provided a great service to their clients and truly practiced what they preached. I was a proud employee. Their products are amazing (I can only speak to their core patient/employee survey component.

Cons

I have seen a few comments stating that others that have left negative reviews are individuals that aren't good with change. I completely disagree. It has become a "good ol' boy" club and if you do not kiss up to the right person in the right manner, you are treated poorly and driven out. Change IS good. There were many MANY people that would have done whatever was necessary to promote and develop the company. They have lost a lot of dedicated people and with that, a lot of what made Press Ganey the wonderful company that Dr.'s Press, Ganey, and Hall created.

Honestly, I doubt any "advice" would help. If you asked this 4 years ago, I am certain it would have been sincerely accepted. Now, not so much.

The emperor has no clothes

Pros

The mission of the company- to help improve healthcare - used to mean something, now its been distorted.

Cons

The company began its freefall in the first quarter of this year when the latest management took the reins. Executive staff were terminated and the spaces left filled with past work cronies and relatives, many with little to no healthcare experience to qualify them. In less than six months, the company's client base has shrunk, products have failed and many, many qualified people have left. It's really odd that the board has let them continue when we haven't seen any positive results to date.

They talk a lot about respect but they don't seem to practice what they preach. Their attitude is condescending, patronizing and even degrading at times. Everyone seems to be overworked and micromanaged to the point that morale has reached subterranean levels. Not to mention, it looks like they are switching everything to be out of Chicago or Boston since they have new office spaces they are looking to fill. Raises the question if South Bend will just turn into some sort of service bureau with the company headquartered somewhere else... they don't seem to want to fill any new positions from within.

Change is good. But changing things just to change is ignorant. Take some time to learn about a company, its dynamics, strengths and weaknesses before assuming you know better. You are throwing away the expertise and dedication that helped Press Ganey survive for over 25 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change is for the best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

Press Ganey is a great company to work for and has done very well. However, it's clear that there have been many areas that were neglected or under invested in. This is clearly changing with the new management team and people are excited about the ability to continue to build on Press Ganey's success.

Cons

Change isn't for everyone and makes some people nervous. Hopefully some big wins will convince those that are nervous that change is for the better.

Implement performance management. Remove non-performers quickly but make sure you just as quickly reward those top performers.

The culture of old is gone thanks to process wonks who haven't a clue.

Current Employee - Doesn't Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Doesn't Matter Because Cronyism Keeps Great Employees Down in South Bend, IN

Pros

Executive leadership is doing a fantastic job and should be commended for their efforts to improve this once stellar company. NOT!!! They will do everything they can to make sure all shareholders are taken care of. NOT!!! Executive leadership cares about employee satisfaction and treating employees with respect. NOT!!! The culture is not suffering, it's great. NOT!!! If the NOT's sound familiar, it comes from the TOP down on any given day...including the seemingly BAD days that people have. We expect more from our leadership ALWAYS, EVERYDAY.

Cons

Let's start with the obvious conflict of a survey company that sells an employee partnership survey yet no longer places an emphasis on surveying it's own employees. Imagine if the competition found out that Press Ganey sells a product that it doesn't even believe in enough to use internally like it used to. Decisions have consequences. Senor leadership has decided to behold processes and ebitda as the driving factors for company success. Pissing off shareholders along the way. Decisions have consequences.

It used to be said that the greatest key to success at Press Ganey was the people and their desire to help improve healthcare because everyone that worked there would be affected by healthcare at some point in time. It was often said that everybody had equal responsibility for that and everyone was in charge of customer service. It used to be a place where the mantra of "Work hard, play harder" was and meant something real. The company has managed to stay successful for over 25 years by focusing on customer service. The profits came in because of that focus. There was a reason the compass was the company logo. Some said it was a reminder that Press Ganey should never lose it's way towards it's goal of making healthcare better. That goal was achieved through customer service. EBITDA was an after-thought. That's not to say it wasn't important, but it wasn't the focus. Once the focus went away from the customer service aspect of helping clients improve in favor of process and EBITDA, it all went downhill. Decisions have consequences.

The hard working people at Press Ganey may not do everything right, but they do a lot right. And when new leadership comes in and decides to change things for the sake of doing something instead of taking the time to learn what's been successful and what hasn't, well those decisions have consequences too.

The consequences now are only 25% of the reviewers approve of the job you're doing. I'd say that's generous. I'd say that's lemmings of the new leadership trying to boost the numbers. Please please please. The people of Press Ganey aren't new to the numbers boosting game. You can't fool us. Leadership doesn't get a free pass just because they are leadership. If they are holding accountable the employees for their job, then the employees and fellow shareholders should hold leadership accountable as well.

1. NEVER NEVER EVER get rid of the Employee Partnership survey. It will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and how to improve it. 2. Before putting stupid processes in place just to put a process in place, learn the current process, examine it for successes and shortcomings and then make the incremental changes as needed in an effort of continuous improvement. 3. Communicate, communicate, communicate. And when you're done, communicate some more. 4. Bring back Dr. Hall. He embodied and embraced the mantra.

I suspect had leadership had the forethought to do some of these things in the beginning, people wouldn't be doing their dirty laundry in public on places like this and other websites for the world to see. That's usually what the employee partnership survey was for but since it was determined early on in new leaderships tenure that the survey was "better placed as a 2013 initiative" this is the outcome of that decision. And decisions have consequences.

Sad to see so many exceptional people be so marginalized

Pros

If we can execute we have an extraordinary mission.

Cons

Talented, dedicated people both new and old are exhausted, demoralized, afraid to speak up and suffering from the fractured communication of the new c-suite. Even strong and seasoned executives are wary of public humiliation. critical decisions are being made without complete information - but the bullying and disdain of the CEO is a strong deterrent to collaboration.

Understand that words and tone matter. Most PG employees, even the executives are not independently wealthy - the work they do at press ganey is how they support their families. The new culture seems to revolve around the ceo's mood: don't make him mad, stay out of his line of fire.

The culture is awful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

We used to have a great culture in our department; good people to work with.

Cons

There have been recent layoffs. Everyone who's left is demoralized and most employees don't believe in this company any longer.

Nothing that hasn't already been said here - but the new CEO and his buddies are not going to listen.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Clerk  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Clerk in South Bend, IN

Pros

management was helpful (as a new employee) to show how to do things, very appreciative of your work. Good pay, benefits ok.

Cons

Could of had more training, employee I was replacing really did not want to show me much about the job.

Mismanage it and they will leave...

Pros

I worked for a couple years at PG with the best and most productive team of software developers I have ever had the pleasure of working with in my 20+ year career, but they have all left PG in the last 3-6 months. Clearly a few cronies of the new CEO are very happy and are being taken care of 'like family'.

Cons

When people are asked for their input and then are ignored, they tend to leave. When they have little or no control over their work processes, they tend to leave. When they are not given the tools to do the job and are distracted from their work by constant shifts in direction and are then maligned for being poor producers, they tend to leave.

We had teams that delivered great product on time, every time for several years before this executive team came in. Now ALL but a very few have left. About 15 of 20 team members in our office have left by their own choice. 5-10% turnover with new management is normal. 75% turnover is BAD management! (Unless they wanted us to leave...? They could have just asked nicely.)

Come up with a VERY good 'story' for the board and investors! It will be extremely dificult to deliver on promises when your best people are leaving, so your best hope is probably a good snow job. Start treating your employees with respect and understand that they probably know how to do their jobs better than you do, so trust them.

Worked for Press Ganey? Contribute to the Community!