Press Ganey Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
109 reviews filtered by

1. Many passionate people with entrepreneurial spirit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

employees are passionate about their ability to impact the quality of healthcare, and this resonates throughout the company. There are some of the brightest and innivative minds leading the teams and momentum is positive. This is a fast paced environment where creativity and vision are rewarded. Communication from leaders has never been better!

Cons

Travel to South Bend isn't the easiest for the expanding group of employees in other locations, but the establishment of key offices in Chicago and Boston is helping

2. Best professional experience of my career

I have been working at Press Ganey

Pros

There isn't a better company to work for. The passion, dedication and commitment throughout the company is incredible. Since Pat's arrival last year, Press Ganey has taken tremendous strides in continuing the mission of improving the patient experience.

Cons

Press Ganey is on the right track

3. Moving in the right direction

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Talented and committed employees, growth opportunities, industry leader, excellent mission.

Cons

We've experienced three executive teams in the past two year, each with their own business model and leadership style. However, there has been stability in the past year and a strong focus on innovation and growth.

Take time to hear employees; take action on issues identified in the employee survey. Provide clear mission and vision to align the company and engage employees.

Feeling fulfilled by helping others

Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

From my earliest memories, I always wanted to work in healthcare. The thought that I would be able to help others during a critical and often difficult period in their life was thrilling to me. Over the years, my career path has meandered a bit, but never far from that early purpose -- helping others with their care. I am proud to have found a home at Press Ganey where I can continue on my personal life mission. The beauty of Press Ganey is that our clients, our company and all of my colleagues are perfectly aligned around a single purpose - helping improve any aspect of the patient experience that is within our control. It is an incredibly rewarding opportunity for me and I know many of my colleagues feel the same fulfillment.

Cons

The cons of Press Ganey is less to do with the comapny and more to do with the industry environment. Healthcare may not be broken, but it isn't perfect and there are many organizations that need significant help improving. And the work is never done. There is always room for improvement - which is good, but sometimes can be frustrating. Overall, pros far outweigh the cons.

Create an all staff volunteer day where every person in the company contributes their time and energy to helping a local healthcare facility. It would remind everyone in the company why we exist - to help our clients improve the patient experience.

6. Great benefits, great company

Current Employee - Phone Representative in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Phone Representative in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - competitive salaries, good employee benefits
    Strong culture that values the company's past, present and future
    Clear mission, vision and values
    Good opportunities for upward mobility

Cons

Culture is very collegial but fast-paced, especially in our department
    My team's technology and equipment could use upgrading more regularly

Visit in person with all departments and all levels within the organization more often

7. Press Ganey is passionate about helping its client improve the patient experience.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership at Press Ganey is clearly passionate about ensuring that patients are heard and that the company is headed in a direction that will help health systems improve the patient experience. Press Ganey is the leader in its field and is dedicated to providing the best possible solutions to its clients.

Cons

As the company grows, change is inevitable but the focus on the patient voice and maintaining close relationships with clients remains strong.

8. Leading the company to improve healthcare

Current Employee - Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is impressive to work with a company that wants to be a part of the future of healthcare reform. The history of the company is fantastic, and have great opportunities to expand improvement opportunities. Teamwork continues to improve and the groups are beginning to become one.

Cons

Expanding to new markets is complicated, and requires team effort. It is important to understand the difficulty in developing new services and gaining adoption by clients.

The company has a strong foundation built upon years of work and pride. Don't discount the value of employees that have a great deal of knowledge of the past.

9. A leader striving ever higher.

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking company where innovation and integration are highly praised.
    Team environment where individuals are never too busy to teach and often place team goals ahead of individual goals, but even in this setting, individual contributions are well noted and praise given.

Cons

While teamwork is strong, in my time, there have been no team-building events to further this strength of the company.

Leadership is great. New vision and direction to maintain our industry leadership status.

Former IT employee

Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for. Had a great culture of innovation, collaboration and team spirit. It trusted the workers and valued them. The teams themselves were wonderful to work with.

Cons

After recent change in management, there has been constant change or lack of direction would be more accurate. This has resulted in high level of attrition. While I hung on as much as I could, it was pointless to stay put without there being a team anymore. Most managerial decisions have been puzzling at best.

None that would be taken.

Sudden campaign of positive reviews belies a toxic environment

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Lurking below today’s problems is a company with a noble mission, an inspiring history, and some remarkably talented and enthusiastic employees.

Cons

There is an understandable assumption that when people leave a company under negative circumstances, their sour grapes attitude is the reason for their negative publicity. They can’t accept their own responsibility, so they blame their bosses or senior leaders or the organization itself. They can’t accept change, even when it means growth, and they can’t accept constructive feedback, even when it’s warranted. But the oceans of talent who have left Press Ganey in the last few years, as the company has grown more rigid, less science-based (in spite of the valiant efforts of a bright and ethical research & analytics department), and less customer focused (with lots of words being thrown at the idea of customer service, but policies that prove those words dishonest) tell a different story.
         Many of us left voluntarily, after years or even decades, with tremendous sadness. We loved the company and our mission, and we tolerated insane hours and unproductive policies because we believed so strongly in the fine work we did, improving the state of healthcare and changing people’s lives. We supported, even embraced, numerous changes, even when they negatively impacted our work-life balance over the years. But when at last the mission is obscured, expectations move from insane to impossible, clients become treated essentially as “marks,” nepotism runs rampant, and incompetence is wildly rewarded and promoted (to be fair, there are occasional fair and justified promotions, but they are the exception), often to the level of senior VPs, you must see that something is very wrong.
         The mission is becoming obscured by prioritizing sales over service. After the brightest and most creative minds are hired, they are expected to exhibit a skill set different from that for which they were hired and are bound by intransigent and unwise policies. The scientific research now takes a backseat to compromised ethics. It's rampant throughout the organization: consulting reports to sales (which undermines their very reason for being), account managers are worked beyond their ability to function effectively, much less optimally, marketing is shown only the glossy reflective surfaces so they are unprepared for valid pushback, and the research team’s scientific approach is devalued at every turn. The result? Press Ganey’s clients stay because of its large database, and, frankly, inertia. (They've said it themselves.)
         Worse still is the culture of fear. Those of us employed at Press Ganey for, let’s say, at least five years (many of us far longer) have seen the climate get worse and worse, with more panicked speculations about where the next axe will fall, what the next incomprehensible policy change will be, which talented individual will disappear next. True, the toxicity of the environment was increasing for several years before Pat Ryan’s emergence on the scene, but it continues to grow exponentially. In my job, I encountered dozens of colleagues each week, and almost no one could keep their fears in this noxious environment a secret. A few of us did keep our constant feeling of dread to ourselves, even surprising others when we left; we were by far the exception.
         A keen eye will take a look at the dates of the postings here and will notice a sudden flurry of positive reviews in late February. Is it a surprise that a data-driven company has noticed that the numbers weren’t looking good? No. But to manipulate the data in such an unscrupulous way…well, it should be shocking, but in the current climate, it is not. Whether the intention is to lure in well-meaning talent, or to present a pretty picture to the next corporate buyer, the campaign to present a positive picture of what is truly an unhealthy company is unmistakable. A business that cares about its image works to repair it, not to obfuscate it.
         Corporate does not have to mean unethical. Hard work does not have be unrewarded. High standards and accountability do not have to mean terror. Many, many of us “refugees” have kept in touch with each other and with those who remain behind, and we have learned this: Those of us who landed on our feet elsewhere are reminded that a driven, thriving environment can be exhilarating, personally enriching, can bring out our very best work, can propel us to exceed all expectations. And those who have fled or been fired from Press Ganey describe the feeling of the great weights of managerial bullying and personal despondency being lifted.

To those of you who are reasonable and ethical and still believe in the mission of this once-great industry leader (and I know there are still a handful of you there), PLEASE fight for Press Ganey. We know it can’t (and shouldn’t) be the bold little start-up it once was, but I genuinely hope, free of schadenfreude, that Press Ganey could once again be the shining star of a company that celebrates innovation, honors its mission, and does its very best for its clients.