Press Ganey Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Good plan, poor execution and disconnected leadership

Current Employee - Improvement Manager
    Current Employee - Improvement Manager

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Press Ganey truly cares about making healthcare better. They are the best at what they do and have been doing it for 25+ years. The employees are (or were) passionate about what they do when not fearing for their jobs. People subscribe to the work hard play hard mentality and have fun with the people around them. I absolutely love visiting clients and help them give better care.

Cons

3 New CEOs and Executive teams in 4 years, each progressively worse. Each new team comes in with a "ground breaking" plan and then replaces the employees with those who they worked with in the past (truth be told, like any other corporation). We now have more Vice Presidents than one can count and not enough people to do the job. A constant revolving door where employees work in fear of losing their job with No bonuses. No one questions a decision because they are afraid they will be replaced, but we somehow are supposed to think innovatively. Our core business is satisfaction surveys but we haven't had an employee survey in 2 years, I assume because leadership either knows how unhappy people are or that ignorant they think we are satisfied (and exactly why I am posting on here). Since I started its a completely different place.

Advice to Management

People will accept change if it makes sense, just be more gradual. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel and listen to the little guy every once in awhile. Go back to listening to customers and quit replacing good people with "your guys" as you've labeled them. Our people and customers will gladly tell you what you want to know, just listen to their needs.

Once an enjoyable workplace has become not so enjoyable after all

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers and middle management are very supportive

Cons

New senior leadership has brought an east-coast attitude to business to midwest family life - the two are like oil and water. Some of us are now expected to be on call 24/7 and in the office until west coast business hours end....which is past dinner time for our families - for those of us with college degrees it shouldn't be a surprise that we are dissatisfied with being expected to work retail hours like this. No more bonuses and funds for celebrations have been given away to unfamiliar charities. Not cool.

Advice to Management

You may not think that the satisfaction of employees is important and that you can just hire more people to replace those who have left, but all of our data we've collected for our clients says a high turnover and dissatisfied employees equal dissatisfied clients and decreased revenue...perhaps we need to practice what we preach?

Sad to see so many exceptional people be so marginalized

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

If we can execute we have an extraordinary mission.

Cons

Talented, dedicated people both new and old are exhausted, demoralized, afraid to speak up and suffering from the fractured communication of the new c-suite. Even strong and seasoned executives are wary of public humiliation. critical decisions are being made without complete information - but the bullying and disdain of the CEO is a strong deterrent to collaboration.

Advice to Management

Understand that words and tone matter. Most PG employees, even the executives are not independently wealthy - the work they do at press ganey is how they support their families. The new culture seems to revolve around the ceo's mood: don't make him mad, stay out of his line of fire.

The company hacks have distorted the real picture of Press Ganey

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Boston Office has a lot of great people.

Cons

The current senior managment comes accross as clueless. They have exciting visions with no ablitiy to execute on them.

Advice to Management

Communicate a road map. It is hard to find a directoin to a great destination without a clue about where you are today and a plan to get from the current situation to an exciting future.

The Iron Triangle

Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed me to work from home often. Was completely up to date and on the "bleeding" edge of technology.

Cons

Agile Methodology + set scope, set team, and set timeline + no ability to negotiate or assist in the initial setting of the timeline = disastrous projects. This would be OK if it were not the norm here.

Advice to Management

Read Management 3.0 and learn how to be Agile Managers. Adjust the release planning to allow for continuous delivery and regular deployments.

Not fair accross the board

Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility is great! Great co-workers th a t willing to help. Casual dress code.

Cons

A lot of the front line staff are not recognized for their hard work. Inequality within same departments, promotions are not based on anything concrete nor hard work.

Regional Director

Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great theoretical product space and future in healthcare market

Cons

Poor management skill set with Nepotistic mentality, poor culture- Company has recently hired a number of previous Broadland employees into management and executive position who either never made the cut to work with MedAssets or couldn't make the cut once the got to med assets

Advice to Management

Stick with the people who got you here not unethical leaders from other organizations that were let go because the couldn't cut the muster.

Neutral about Account Manager position

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Great culture, very collaborative, someone is always willing to help, casual work environment.

Cons

New CEO made a lot of changes, trickle down resulted in a disconnect between employees and leadership. Not many opportunities for advancement. They created a few new positions, but it was more of a lateral move.

Advice to Management

Go back to the mission, remember the work-life balance that so many employees were so enthusiastic about for years past.

Not Impressed

Former Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great group of people working as Account Managers, and the work done to improve patient satisfaction in the health care industry is rewarding. If you are going to work for Press Ganey the best area to get into is Patient Experience Advising role. The position has a lot of freedom. They give you a laptop and a book of business to manage/consult. The people who work on the Advising team are very much people oriented and all have bright personalities. The position is primarily remote work, so you can work from home. Great job!

Cons

Management lacks the ability to recognize talent and the company is leaning toward hiring upper level positions from outside the company instead of promoting within. The seek to keep highly qualified people in the lowest possible position they can talk the person into accepting, then keep them there and use their talents at the lower pay rate. When this company started, it was a great company. Roughly 6 years ago, the founders Dr.'s Press & Ganey (former professors of the University of Notre Dame) sold the company off and the purchasers sought to make the culture very corporate, they succeeded, but to the detriment of employee satisfaction. People fill out employee satisfaction surveys each year, but are afraid to list anything negative on the surveys, because they are "confidential but not anonymous" meaning they each have a bar-code attached that is registered to the employees name. The company has a name for discharging those who lower the employee satisfaction scores.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent when you have it & don't micromanage folks. Add some variety into the Account Management position. Press Ganey took variety away from Consultants when they transitioned into a split model with Account Managers, Advisors, and Sales Executives. Also, the building account managers sit in is windowless (except for managers who have offices lining the outside windows). I would suggest allowing some natural light into overcrowded work areas, so the moral may improve some. Lack of natural light makes people depressed and this is an obvious problem for employees at Press Ganey in South Bend, IN.

Press Ganey Response

Dec 1, 2014 – Director of Internal Communications

I’m sorry to hear that Press Ganey wasn’t the right fit for you. We appreciate your review and wish you success with your next opportunity. I’d like to clarify a few points included in your review ... More

Lacked Integrity, Middle Managers and Below were awesome, though.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very open culture of sharing best practices, teamwork, and fail/succeed together. No one was ever afraid to ask another team member for help and internal training was excellent. Flexibility in working from home, big budget for making things happen. Well managed at the middle and high-middle levels.

Cons

Senior leadership cut most good efforts off at the knees; did not protect relationship with clients when making business decisions; failed at integrating new companies and products as they were acquired. When the new CEO came on, a mass exodus of employees occurred because the company changed so much for the worse.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should be willing to spend the dollars it takes to integrate new teams successfully and deliver on the promises they make to customers.

Press Ganey Response

May 19, 2015 – Director of Internal Communications

Thanks for taking time to share your feedback. I agree that one of our organization's strengths is our culture of collaboration and education, and we need to ensure we embrace acquired companies and ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed