Press Ganey Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
113 reviews filtered by

Tedious,, Company internal workflow Not technically or innvotative thinking- expected more from new executive team

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and will bend over backwards to help you at this organization. Very thorough and competent Compliance team.. Best Contract team I have ever worked with- they are tireless and meticiulous. Very responsive Account Management team.

Cons

This company is out-dated, tedious and creates more internal work for themselves than any company I have ever seen. The amount of "CC" emails that every employee is on- is ridiculous- way too much unnecessary information on a continuous basis -with no strategy or thought to make changes. If you encourage change- you are frowned upon for speaking up.

Upper management is the problem here -from Sr. VP down to VP. A different approach or change is discouraged in this company. This management style and culture would work better in a repetitive environment- such as a factory or assembly line- but a challenge a market where the competition is far more innovative and streamlined than PG.

Marketing and Product Management - no changes in messaging or product ingeunity . Total lack of creativity. In more than 18 mos- 1 new feature- Quick Reports- that was a tiny improvement in the solution- Too much data, too little openness to change or streamlining- and sales leadreship churns through new business sales on a regular basis, (people are not aware they are gone for months.) As a result, ZERO sales growth and competition is eating away at the PG market share- ( PG's pride and joy.).

Many of us had high hopes for Pat Ryan and his new managment team to bring change. Pat Ryan is personable, charasmitic, intersting person. Unfortunately, he is one person who can't change the biggest challenge of all- Press Ganey internal team who have been there far too long and think continue the way we have always worked and everything will be fine. In this changing market- this lack of foresigth and vision will continue to erode PG's business. And no amount of analytics, 300 page reports, or PhD statisticians will be able to fix this slow moving, red -tape company. They are their own worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Advice: Replace the "good ole boy" mediocre management and bring in new Product Management, Marketing and Sales leadership. Even Pat Ryan's charisma and sincerity won't be able to change the "Stepford" mentality (responding to clients, product, and sales the same way we have always done.) and lackluster performance until an overhaul of internal change is done. If factory, assembly-line mentality work is for you with tons of emails to always read- this is the place !

2. Many passionate people with entrepreneurial spirit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employees are passionate about their ability to impact the quality of healthcare, and this resonates throughout the company. There are some of the brightest and innivative minds leading the teams and momentum is positive. This is a fast paced environment where creativity and vision are rewarded. Communication from leaders has never been better!

Cons

Travel to South Bend isn't the easiest for the expanding group of employees in other locations, but the establishment of key offices in Chicago and Boston is helping

The worst professional experience of my life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some excellent employees at the ground level.

Cons

There is massive turmoil and backstabbing at the middle management level, the senior managers are inexperienced and in over their heads, and the executives have their heads so far in the clouds that they can't see what is really going on.

From my individual perspective, the workload is unbearable. People keep quitting the company and they are not replaced, so their job responsibilities fall on other already overworked people. When I asked for help, I was told to "work more hours." When I demonstrated that I was already working 60+ hours per week, I was told to "work more efficiently." I'm doing the work of 2.5 people in 60 hours, so I'm already extremely efficient!

The company seems top-heavy with management; for example, there are at least 5 layers of management between the average worker and the executives in a < 1,000 person company.

Salaries are on the low-end of acceptable and the fringe benefits are Spartan. The health care coverage is abysmal, which is ironic because Press Ganey purports to be a leader in the health care industry.

Advice to Management

Interview some of your ground level employees. Realize that the middle management turmoil is

5. Moving in the right direction

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Talented and committed employees, growth opportunities, industry leader, excellent mission.

Cons

We've experienced three executive teams in the past two year, each with their own business model and leadership style. However, there has been stability in the past year and a strong focus on innovation and growth.

Advice to Management

Take time to hear employees; take action on issues identified in the employee survey. Provide clear mission and vision to align the company and engage employees.

6. A leader striving ever higher.

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking company where innovation and integration are highly praised.
    Team environment where individuals are never too busy to teach and often place team goals ahead of individual goals, but even in this setting, individual contributions are well noted and praise given.

Cons

While teamwork is strong, in my time, there have been no team-building events to further this strength of the company.

Advice to Management

Leadership is great. New vision and direction to maintain our industry leadership status.

7. Press Ganey is passionate about helping its client improve the patient experience.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Press Ganey as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership at Press Ganey is clearly passionate about ensuring that patients are heard and that the company is headed in a direction that will help health systems improve the patient experience. Press Ganey is the leader in its field and is dedicated to providing the best possible solutions to its clients.

Cons

As the company grows, change is inevitable but the focus on the patient voice and maintaining close relationships with clients remains strong.

Feeling fulfilled by helping others

Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Experience Advisor in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From my earliest memories, I always wanted to work in healthcare. The thought that I would be able to help others during a critical and often difficult period in their life was thrilling to me. Over the years, my career path has meandered a bit, but never far from that early purpose -- helping others with their care. I am proud to have found a home at Press Ganey where I can continue on my personal life mission. The beauty of Press Ganey is that our clients, our company and all of my colleagues are perfectly aligned around a single purpose - helping improve any aspect of the patient experience that is within our control. It is an incredibly rewarding opportunity for me and I know many of my colleagues feel the same fulfillment.

Cons

The cons of Press Ganey is less to do with the comapny and more to do with the industry environment. Healthcare may not be broken, but it isn't perfect and there are many organizations that need significant help improving. And the work is never done. There is always room for improvement - which is good, but sometimes can be frustrating. Overall, pros far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Create an all staff volunteer day where every person in the company contributes their time and energy to helping a local healthcare facility. It would remind everyone in the company why we exist - to help our clients improve the patient experience.

A positive, innovative company destroyed by greed

I worked at Press Ganey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great market, great clients, colleagues with a passion for improvement (most are now former PG employees).

Cons

Everyone who can is leaving or already gone, driven out by Pat Ryan and his cronies, who are intent on getting as much as they can before the owners wake up and figure out what is going on under their noses and fire these people. By that time, clients will have also figured out they are chumps for staying on.

It is rare to see a company and a culture fall so far so fast.

Advice to Management

Leave.

Sudden campaign of positive reviews belies a toxic environment

I worked at Press Ganey full-time

Pros

Lurking below today’s problems is a company with a noble mission, an inspiring history, and some remarkably talented and enthusiastic employees.

Cons

There is an understandable assumption that when people leave a company under negative circumstances, their sour grapes attitude is the reason for their negative publicity. They can’t accept their own responsibility, so they blame their bosses or senior leaders or the organization itself. They can’t accept change, even when it means growth, and they can’t accept constructive feedback, even when it’s warranted. But the oceans of talent who have left Press Ganey in the last few years, as the company has grown more rigid, less science-based (in spite of the valiant efforts of a bright and ethical research & analytics department), and less customer focused (with lots of words being thrown at the idea of customer service, but policies that prove those words dishonest) tell a different story.
         Many of us left voluntarily, after years or even decades, with tremendous sadness. We loved the company and our mission, and we tolerated insane hours and unproductive policies because we believed so strongly in the fine work we did, improving the state of healthcare and changing people’s lives. We supported, even embraced, numerous changes, even when they negatively impacted our work-life balance over the years. But when at last the mission is obscured, expectations move from insane to impossible, clients become treated essentially as “marks,” nepotism runs rampant, and incompetence is wildly rewarded and promoted (to be fair, there are occasional fair and justified promotions, but they are the exception), often to the level of senior VPs, you must see that something is very wrong.
         The mission is becoming obscured by prioritizing sales over service. After the brightest and most creative minds are hired, they are expected to exhibit a skill set different from that for which they were hired and are bound by intransigent and unwise policies. The scientific research now takes a backseat to compromised ethics. It's rampant throughout the organization: consulting reports to sales (which undermines their very reason for being), account managers are worked beyond their ability to function effectively, much less optimally, marketing is shown only the glossy reflective surfaces so they are unprepared for valid pushback, and the research team’s scientific approach is devalued at every turn. The result? Press Ganey’s clients stay because of its large database, and, frankly, inertia. (They've said it themselves.)
         Worse still is the culture of fear. Those of us employed at Press Ganey for, let’s say, at least five years (many of us far longer) have seen the climate get worse and worse, with more panicked speculations about where the next axe will fall, what the next incomprehensible policy change will be, which talented individual will disappear next. True, the toxicity of the environment was increasing for several years before Pat Ryan’s emergence on the scene, but it continues to grow exponentially. In my job, I encountered dozens of colleagues each week, and almost no one could keep their fears in this noxious environment a secret. A few of us did keep our constant feeling of dread to ourselves, even surprising others when we left; we were by far the exception.
         A keen eye will take a look at the dates of the postings here and will notice a sudden flurry of positive reviews in late February. Is it a surprise that a data-driven company has noticed that the numbers weren’t looking good? No. But to manipulate the data in such an unscrupulous way…well, it should be shocking, but in the current climate, it is not. Whether the intention is to lure in well-meaning talent, or to present a pretty picture to the next corporate buyer, the campaign to present a positive picture of what is truly an unhealthy company is unmistakable. A business that cares about its image works to repair it, not to obfuscate it.
         Corporate does not have to mean unethical. Hard work does not have be unrewarded. High standards and accountability do not have to mean terror. Many, many of us “refugees” have kept in touch with each other and with those who remain behind, and we have learned this: Those of us who landed on our feet elsewhere are reminded that a driven, thriving environment can be exhilarating, personally enriching, can bring out our very best work, can propel us to exceed all expectations. And those who have fled or been fired from Press Ganey describe the feeling of the great weights of managerial bullying and personal despondency being lifted.

Advice to Management

To those of you who are reasonable and ethical and still believe in the mission of this once-great industry leader (and I know there are still a handful of you there), PLEASE fight for Press Ganey. We know it can’t (and shouldn’t) be the bold little start-up it once was, but I genuinely hope, free of schadenfreude, that Press Ganey could once again be the shining star of a company that celebrates innovation, honors its mission, and does its very best for its clients.

11. Leading the company to improve healthcare

Current Employee - Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Press Ganey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is impressive to work with a company that wants to be a part of the future of healthcare reform. The history of the company is fantastic, and have great opportunities to expand improvement opportunities. Teamwork continues to improve and the groups are beginning to become one.

Cons

Expanding to new markets is complicated, and requires team effort. It is important to understand the difficulty in developing new services and gaining adoption by clients.

Advice to Management

The company has a strong foundation built upon years of work and pride. Don't discount the value of employees that have a great deal of knowledge of the past.