Prestige Brands

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Prestige Brands President, CEO, and Director Matthew M. (Matt) Mannelly
Matthew M. (Matt) Mannelly

Productive and fun workplace with a great company culture!

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great to work for! It is important to leadership that you feel like you are also a leader and part of something that is GREAT.

The company's culture is amazing and provides employee's with a supportive environment that is fun and challenging.
    Management wants to help their teams succeed and provides ample resources to expand our knowledge.

The company is certainly growing. I have been with Prestige for 4+ years and have lived through 4 major acquisitions. I am always impressed by the commitment to growth and follow through. Our management team focuses on celebrating the present but have a forward-thinking approach to taking us to the next level. Goals are realistic! Leadership has done a great job of building a fun, competitive, hard-working culture where everyone has a voice and is empoweder to be a true leader. Perfect work/life balance with great attention to team building and professional growth.

Wondeful people who care, excellent business model and a place that recognizes and awards hard work and success.

Lucky to be part of a company that is thriving and focused on becoming a leader in the industry.

Cons

nothing to add in this section

What you have been doing is clearly working! We feel it...we live it....we appreciate it.

CPG company with Growth - professionally and size of business

Current Employee - Brand Marketing in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Prestige Brands is accountable. People don't come here to punch a time clock, that also means greater than 40hr weeks sometimes. It's great to have everyone invested in the success of the business, from sales to operations.

Though the career progression follows traditional 'levels' as compared to other CPG companies, the required 'time at level' is different. Top performers are recognized and compensated. It's a great motivator to go above and beyond.

Prestige is growing leaps and bounds. 5 years ago it was less than half the size it is today. We acquire abandoned brands and breathe life into them. It's an exciting place to work, and not something you can say about many CPG companies.

Cons

Not so much a 'con', but just to set expectations: base salary compensation is probably not BETTER than big CPG companies. It's not worse, but it's not better. Bonus, however, generally is much better with the caveat that of course it will ultimately depend on company performance.

It is also very much an in-office environment: that's how we move quickly is being able to grab each other in the hallway and make decisions. I used to get Friday work-at-home days, so that was an adjustment. But I appreciate the culture for what it contributes to our speed and nimbleness.

My Best Career Decision to Date!

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Prestige Brands is a company where you can truly impact change. Not only does an employee have the opportunitiy to drive business results, but he/she can help shape the culture at the company. Prior to Prestige, I spent my career working at large companies. I always worked with great people, but always felt I spent most of my time managing a process instead of a business. At Prestige Brands all employees focus on driving the business, not politics. Additionally, at my previous companies there was bureaucracy and "back-stabbing." At Prestige everyone enjoys working together and that is the main reason why we have been so successful.

The experience at Prestige has not only taught me how to effectively manage a business, but more importantly, has taught me how to be a better leader.

Cons

The only opportunity I see, is that our resources have not caught up with our growth. As a result, many employees have taken on additional responsibility. However, the organization is committed and continues to add both short and long term resources to help support our rapid growth.

Keep focuing on driving home Leadership and Trust and the strong results will continue.

Entrepreneurial but can be brutal

Current Employee - Brand Management in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Management in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a small company with a fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture. There isn't much bureaucracy or process. The lack of process can admittedly be a positive or negative, depending upon your view. If you're entrepreneurial by nature then you generally enjoy finding your way from point a to b on your own based on your own experience. The culture at Prestige enables that. At prestige you have direct access to senior management. The CEO regularly wanders the office and chats with employees and it's not unusual to present to the CEO and upper management once or twice a week. The also company moved approximately 2 years ago to some nice, modern, open office space (though the building itself is slightly older.) The company has made several acquisitions within a 3 year time frame and continues to look for additional opportunities to expand.

Cons

The atmosphere can feel cut-throat / every-man-for-themselves. I am more used to environments where major differences are aligned outside meetings with senior management. Here that is not the norm. I've seen dirty laundry aired in what I considered inappropriate environments. It's not unusual for people to get thrown under the bus at Prestige and, as a result, employees have developed a CYA culture which can result in disputes that get aired in the public eye. With few exceptions, management does nothing to discourage this environment. With such a small management team, you have direct exposure to the bad eggs as well as the good.

The company is in acquisition / growth mode. However, dispite the CEO's insistence to the contrary, the company does not invest significantly in the brands it has (in terms of marketing spend and other resources including people). The environment is focused on extracting the most that it can from limited resources which includes its employees.

Focus on problems and solutions not people and positions. Choose strategic growth brands and invest as if they truly were strategic growth brands.

No opportunity to use all your skills, let alone any chance for growth.

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and vacation time

Cons

Management lack of interaction with employees.
    People constantly leaving the place, revolving door.

Communicate

Favoritism and Cronyism rules the roost here.

I have been working at Prestige Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is entrepreneurial, less bureaucratic - can be good and bad depends how you look at it. Company conducts periodic events for its employees. Leadership, Trust and Change are its primary slogan. This more of a lip service and the upper management does not walk the talk.

Cons

Favoritism and Cronyism is deeply entrenched here, starting from C-level execs to mid ones. Good employees or most of the old timers are rewarded with more work, and are simply expected to do a great job, while sub-par or most of the new hires are praised for simply doing their jobs.
    When good workers see people who do not contribute much as they do or they see schmoozers/extroverts who do little but socialize a lot land positions they don't deserve, it's much like a slap in the face. Especially when those workers are busting their rear, not taking vacation, rallying the team and exceeding expectations, the last thing they want to see is some Joe Doe or Sue "eye candy" just waltz in and take a senior position, one they are clearly not qualified to do. You have to expect good employees will leave if you decide to hire your best friends who has no idea what the heck they are doing, and then you have the audacity to put them in a leadership position over experienced workers. Hiring and Promotion for favoritism is a major way to alienate good workers.

Walk the Talk. Favoritism is a no way to a lead a good team. Pay should commensurate with wisdom and experience.

Wants change, but won't change

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Prestige Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent hours, lots of insight into everything that's going on. You work closely with people.

Cons

Unfortunately, that's all there is. This can be a pretty cutthroat environment; as in if you put something together for someone else and you're not there to defend your work, you get "tossed under the bus" so to speak. There's a lack of ownership, especially when presenting to senior leadership. There's also a layer of fear in the culture, that at any moment, you could be fired. I have seen people let go because they couldn't handle the work load, even after asking for help.

I know it's a culture of leaders and change, but in order for change and leadership to occur, the management team needs to back off. Empower employees to do what they know best. I get it that there are certain priorities that need to be met, but taking away their ability to get the job done, takes away from the sense of being a leader or ownership.
    Individual groups need to stop being protected and allow open and honest dialogue instead of constantly running to senior leadership to complain.

Prestige Brands is an integrated company that invests in building employee potential

Former Intern - Brand Management Intern in Irvington, NJ
    Former Intern - Brand Management Intern in Irvington, NJ

I worked at Prestige Brands as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company provides opportunities to learn, excel, and grow. Tight-knit corporate environment. Integrated business climate enables employee exposure to various departments and functions.

Cons

No negatives come to mind.

Continue brand acquisitions and innovation management strategies.

Anonimous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY

I have been working at Prestige Brands

Pros

Small and challenging place. Great challenging opportunities

Cons

Few opportunities for professional growth and advancement

Need to delegate more and think on how to motive employees

Demanding environment, limited resources, high expectations, little management understanding or compassion.

I have been working at Prestige Brands

Pros

If you are passionate about OTC products, the business philosophy could be compelling. The company is fairly enterprenuial. Core principles include: Trust, Leadership and Change.

Cons

There is very little infrastructure. The culture is extremely fractious. New people have created a much more demanding culture. There is very little help and expectations are high. Poor work life balance with very little appreciation from management. The environment is such that people are very quick to point out mistakes, but very unhelpful when it comes to identifying solutions. Highly critical environment.

You need to show that you actually show a vested interest in the development of your employees. Be supportive rather than critical of your employees. Morale is low and you do very little to support your employees.