Pret A Manger

Pret A Manger Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014

Clive Schlee

Pros
  • You can meet and work with some great people from all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• Great wage with a great incentive to work hard- the mystery shopper (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Physically hard work and long hours (in 4 reviews)

• Too much pressure from the mystery shopper whence it depend the "bonus" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work minus the politics

Former Employee - Assistant Manager FOH in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager FOH in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, earlier schedule than most food places, quarterly parties and bonuses for managers

Cons

Promotions bases on politics, inconsistency In polices , long hours

I've Learned A Lot!......

Former Employee - Shift Runner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Runner in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Here's my list of pros during my long tenure at Pret A Manger: Co-workers, Customers, Free Food, Compensation, Mystery shopper bonus, and 2 galas Yearly!........The C.E.O and his partners has always been Pleasant to me.

Cons

In Spite of the wonderful Pros of this company, Your subjected to emotional blackmail and serious labor issues with Most shops being run by Unprofessional and Bias Managerial staff backed by a corrupted HR Dept.

The Core Values you instill in your Employees are Virtuous , And is the the secret to your success!.....On the Contrary, I strongly suggest a Labor Union!, so employees that are treated unfair have a platform for their voice to be heard without resentment or the sinuous backlash from your Inadequate Managerial staff & Flout HR Dept.!!!! who support them.

Horrible,OverWorked For The Pay,Bad Management And Bad Treatment Felt Like A Slave.

Former Employee - Kitchen Prep in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Kitchen Prep in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You Get Hired Fast because they fire fast and people quit fast

Cons

I Can Give It No Stars Is Possible
    -Too Much Work For The Pay
    -Schedule Varies Every Week
    -Felt Like A Slave
    -They Want You To Make 12 Itiems In Less Then A Hour
    -Management Is Horrible
    -Misscomunication
    -Low Pay For The Job
    -Too Many Unreasonable Rules And Restrictions
    -They Expect You Not To Have A Life While Working There
    -People Quit Every Day
    -No Fairness
    DO NOT WORK THERE YOU WILL REGRET IT!! DONT LET THEM LIE TO YOU WITH THE PAY OF $10 A HOUR NOT WORTH IT
    I FELT MISTREATED, FELT LIKE A SLAVE, THEY LOWERED MY SELF ESTEEM BY TELLING ME I DONT WORK HARD ENOUGH EVEN THOUGH I WAS THE FIRST ON TO FINISH.
    THIS JOB SHOULD BE REPORTED TO THE DEPT OF LABOR

Fix Your Attitude care about your employees dont over do the staff be reasonable be fair try everybody equally and so on such a bad experience.

it was only fun because of the coworkers, some customers and the parties

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people tend to be very fun and entertaining
    award you for hard work
    3 big parties a year

Cons

the management dont really care about employees and all the things they
    have to do to make them happy
    they are always on your back about things that is usually their fault
    benefits suck..take about half your paycheck
    follow way too many standards

get retrained

An Ok Pla to work

Former Employee - Team Member Star in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent, friendly co workers

Cons

long shifts, a lots of heavy lifting and horrible managment

fast working atmosphere

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there's benefits as mystery shopper bonus training provided

Cons

not everybody is treated equally

Pret was a stressful and busy job that seeks perfection and expects you to actually be perfect

Former Employee - Kitchen Closer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Kitchen Closer in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is really decent compared to similar jobs. Opportunity for bonus every week and other bonuses for doing a great job. Free meals. 50% off from items not made in the kitchen.

Cons

Horrible management, sometimes I felt like I should become manager so that things could run correctly. Hours not all accounted for. Took them a whole month to actual put my raise on my check after they had said they would. Tips that we were getting kept getting stolen and management said they couldn't do nothing about it. No sick days or hospital days , if your missing for whatever reason your bonus is taken away for that week. Coworkers made the environment feel like high school with the rumors and drama. Management barely help even if there's a long line and we're understaffed, they stand in the front joking around. They would also send people home early and then panic when the rush comes which makes me feel like all they care about is GP. Another problem is if you come to the managers with a problem they would do whatever to make it seem like it will get taken care of but they never pull through and actually do something. Posers.

Make sure your hiring people with good management skills and some that can treat their employees with respect and make sure the workers are happy with their job.

Conflicted,,

Current Employee - Administrative Opener in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Opener in New York, NY

I have been working at Pret A Manger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food for items made in store.. half off items that are bought to sell. Weekly bonuses + tips. Statewide company party twice a year.

Cons

Heavy workload, borderline demeaning, discrimination.

Maybe a bit more respect towards your employees ?

best job i ever hat. pays really well with chance of earning $200- to $300 extra for passing a mystery shopper

Former Employee - Barista In Training in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista In Training in New York, NY

I worked at Pret A Manger

Pros

can earn additional $200-$300 weekly for passing mystery shopper, has open house interviewevry staurday at union square branch, easy job if your are a cashier all you have to do is look at what the customers have selected(cause its like self serve) then ring them up. no moving required. weekly or in my case bi- weekly tips may not be much but it always bought my metro cards. weekly pay.

Cons

its just my misfortune that my team leader was a racist prick. but every one else is really kool from the head to the kitchen staff.

u guys really seemed to care about us. that's good but when i started i was new to america and i did not know what to do my racist team leader was discrimating against me.. so i quit and i regretted it.

Terrible company culture, will overwork and underpay, management very incompetent

Current Employee - Administrative Closer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Closer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pret A Manger

Pros

Compared to other retail food chains, Pret A Manger offers a very competitive hourly wage $9 - $9.25 to start plus tips every week. It is a great learning experience to work fast, hard, and efficient in a sales driven and on demand environment. The skills you allow yourself to learn will definitely carry on after your time served in Pret.

Cons

-Management is very incompetent. It is clear they have little to know training and have absolutely no training or experience in employee relations or even customer relations for that matter. Every manager I have worked with - I have worked with 6 - will immediately try to belittle you. Not sure exactly why this is such a common practice among managers but it is an intrinsic behavior within the company itself.

-Team leaders work hard but shop leaders tend to be more of facilitators than leaders. It's a roll of the dice if you get a good shop leader. Most try to delegate responsibilities rather than carry out any of their own.

-There are no sick days or flex time. Even if you're extremely ill and have to miss a day's work and give last minute's notice, your bonus will be taken away (mystery shopper bonus given for meeting company standards). Say if you're late because of train delays, which happens, you still lose your bonus. You tend to lose your bonus for almost anything and start to wonder if this "bonus" is just a carrot held at the end of a stick.

-Career advancement depends on who your manager is. Some managers may pigeonhole you depending on what the shop needs or what you're good at. There isn't much information exchange on what opportunities are out there because the career database is only open to managers. So if you think you have control of your future in Pret, think again. You don't have much and your subject to a manager's judgement on where your career path is headed. Very, very sad reality of Pret.

-Company culture. Being that almost all managers I have worked with seemed like tyrants and had not the slightest bit of patience or understanding, it lead me to believe the company culture is strictly sales based and not people driven. Even though Pret A Manger emphasizes that they are a "people first" type of company, the reality of it is is that they are solely concerned with sales and view their employees as faceless and a dime a dozen.

You're not God. Take a continuing ed course in management, employee relations, and labor rights. This should be a requirement before even obtaining the position.

Pret A Manger Photos