Pret A Manger

Be The First To
Add Photos

Clive Schlee

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work minus the politics

Assistant Manager FOH (Former Employee)

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, earlier schedule than most food places, quarterly parties and bonuses for managers

ConsPromotions bases on politics, inconsistency In polices , long hours

Pret was a stressful and busy job that seeks perfection and expects you to actually be perfect

Kitchen Closer (Former Employee)

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is really decent compared to similar jobs. Opportunity for bonus every week and other bonuses for doing a great job. Free meals. 50% off from items not made in the kitchen.

ConsHorrible management, sometimes I felt like I should become manager so that things could run correctly. Hours not all accounted for. Took them a whole month to actual put my raise on my check after they had said they would. Tips that we were getting kept getting stolen and management said they couldn't do nothing about it. No sick days or hospital days , if your missing for whatever reason your bonus is taken away for that week. Coworkers made the environment feel like high school with the rumors and drama. Management barely help even if there's a long line and we're understaffed, they stand in the front joking around. They would also send people home early and then panic when the rush comes which makes me feel like all they care about is GP. Another problem is if you come to the managers with a problem they would do whatever to make it seem like it will get taken care of but they never pull through and actually do something. Posers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your hiring people with good management skills and some that can treat their employees with respect and make sure the workers are happy with their job.

Conflicted,,

Administrative Opener (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pret A Manger full-time for more than a year

ProsFree food for items made in store.. half off items that are bought to sell. Weekly bonuses + tips. Statewide company party twice a year.

ConsHeavy workload, borderline demeaning, discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe a bit more respect towards your employees ?

best job i ever hat. pays really well with chance of earning $200- to $300 extra for passing a mystery shopper

Barista In Training (Former Employee)

I worked at Pret A Manger

Proscan earn additional $200-$300 weekly for passing mystery shopper, has open house interviewevry staurday at union square branch, easy job if your are a cashier all you have to do is look at what the customers have selected(cause its like self serve) then ring them up. no moving required. weekly or in my case bi- weekly tips may not be much but it always bought my metro cards. weekly pay.

Consits just my misfortune that my team leader was a racist prick. but every one else is really kool from the head to the kitchen staff.

Advice to Senior Managementu guys really seemed to care about us. that's good but when i started i was new to america and i did not know what to do my racist team leader was discrimating against me.. so i quit and i regretted it.

Terrible company culture, will overwork and underpay, management very incompetent

Administrative Closer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pret A Manger

ProsCompared to other retail food chains, Pret A Manger offers a very competitive hourly wage $9 - $9.25 to start plus tips every week. It is a great learning experience to work fast, hard, and efficient in a sales driven and on demand environment. The skills you allow yourself to learn will definitely carry on after your time served in Pret.

Cons-Management is very incompetent. It is clear they have little to know training and have absolutely no training or experience in employee relations or even customer relations for that matter. Every manager I have worked with - I have worked with 6 - will immediately try to belittle you. Not sure exactly why this is such a common practice among managers but it is an intrinsic behavior within the company itself.

-Team leaders work hard but shop leaders tend to be more of facilitators than leaders. It's a roll of the dice if you get a good shop leader. Most try to delegate responsibilities rather than carry out any of their own.

-There are no sick days or flex time. Even if you're extremely ill and have to miss a day's work and give last minute's notice, your bonus will be taken away (mystery shopper bonus given for meeting company standards). Say if you're late because of train delays, which happens, you still lose your bonus. You tend to lose your bonus for almost anything and start to wonder if this "bonus" is just a carrot held at the end of a stick.

-Career advancement depends on who your manager is. Some managers may pigeonhole you depending on what the shop needs or what you're good at. There isn't much information exchange on what opportunities are out there because the career database is only open to managers. So if you think you have control of your future in Pret, think again. You don't have much and your subject to a manager's judgement on where your career path is headed. Very, very sad reality of Pret.

-Company culture. Being that almost all managers I have worked with seemed like tyrants and had not the slightest bit of patience or understanding, it lead me to believe the company culture is strictly sales based and not people driven. Even though Pret A Manger emphasizes that they are a "people first" type of company, the reality of it is is that they are solely concerned with sales and view their employees as faceless and a dime a dozen.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not God. Take a continuing ed course in management, employee relations, and labor rights. This should be a requirement before even obtaining the position.

They talk a big game, but do not convert.

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pret A Manger

ProsGenerally, the time of day required to work is great compared to others in the hospitality field.

ConsThe operations managers clearly had their favorites. There are a lot of managers that were overlooked inappropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat works in London doesn't always work in New York.

Worked for Pret A Manger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pret A Manger reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pret A Manger CEO Clive Schlee. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Pret A Manger employees.