Price Chopper Supermarkets

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.8

Jerel T. "Jerry" Golub

Pros
  • Room for advancement, flexible hours for part timers, multiple departments to cross train in (in 9 reviews)

• Worked part-time for 5 years, definitely a great place to work while I attending college (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving into a full time position is almost impossible (in 10 reviews)

• Want superior customer service while cutting hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad: decent job to pay the bills while living at home.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warwick, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warwick, NY

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers
    Can be a fun job on a good day
    Fairly laid-back depending on the day
    Fairly easy to get time-off
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Inconsistent hours
    Sometimes there's workplace drama
    Shift supervising roles don't pay more
    There seems to be little benefit to being one of their more reliable workers

When you allow yourself to get visible stressed out on a busy day or when corporate is visiting, it rubs off on your employees and the working environment is a lot less pleasant/more stressful. Also, some of your better employees (per my own judgment, of course) tend to get unmotivated when they see some of their lazier co-workers slacking off, getting away with it, and oftentimes getting just as many hours as them.

Dead end

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets

Pros

There aren't many. Its easy to get a job there.

Cons

Its easy to get a job there, so you work with people of little skill or motivation.

So far a pleasant experience

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets

Pros

Meeting new people and learning new things

Cons

None at this monen in time

None at this moment in time

Crashing

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

not many pros here. This company is evil and treats its people like dirt. I liked my coworkers but that was about it.

Cons

So many to list.:

Dirty stores. The customers would be shocked. It's sad and disgusting.

Bad managers. Crusty old industry guys. Men's club. Women get very little upward movement.

Terrible benefits. Unaffordable health insurance and they make you work just few enough hours to qualify for any benefits. It's a joke.

Not much can change this 3000 lb gorilla. It's a company that is old and getting crushed by new competition. So glad I got away.

tough market

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets

Pros

fair salaries, good sense of team mate comradery

Cons

minimal perks, employees annual raise reduced to 1% TY for the entire company, operating in a contracting market which means high stress roles, little room for opportunity/growth, positions are rarely reposted if abandoned.

IT guy

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets

Pros

good working environment over here

Cons

ok working environment over here

keep good

A long journey.

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most important reason,for me, is the ownership of your work. Additionally, you have a daily structure to follow. These guidelines help define who you are, as it relates to your position.

Cons

In many cases there are difficult teammates to work with. At times, this does hinder the work process. In many cases like this, attitudes and behavior fuels the unwanted drama, and adds to the ongoing issues.

Look at the reality that is everyday life. The stores can't always master some of the programs that are put out there for us to complete, not because we aren't trying, because in some areas, the desire of the customers doesn't fit the form of the model.

Always have the chance to further your careerbut must work hard to do it

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Team Leader in Brattleboro, VT
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Team Leader in Brattleboro, VT

Pros

There is always a way to advance and the pay is great once you becaome a department manager. Health insurance is good for full time employees

Cons

Not very many full time positions available. If you are a capable employee to are expected to perform at the level of department manager but don't get the pay or respect. Very stressful work environment.

Change the pay scale part time employees working as a supervisor or in the service desk/cash office should be paid more than minimum wage. 1st clerks who tend to do the job or the department manager shouldn't have an $11,000 salary gap (that's at minimum too could be more) between them and the department head position. I have been a hard working 1st clerk and don't make enough for what I do. It makes for a bitter employee that you will loose soon.

deli

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

none, zero, zelch, nadda, poop

Cons

dont work here. poor pay, bad hours, cut hours, bad or very little raises. 10 cent for a raise. really???

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Price Chopper is an innovative company. The company delivers work-life balance and offers training in all aspects of retail. The company pays very well and the bonus structure is fair. Compared to other retailers this company takes care of its teammates and offers competitive benefit packages.

Cons

Has to continue to improve on technology but company is heading in the right direction

Price Chopper Supermarkets Photos