Price Chopper Supermarkets

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

Jerel T. "Jerry" Golub

Pros
  • Worked part-time for 5 years, definitely a great place to work while I attending college (in 9 reviews)

• Pay and Benefits are fairly good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not offer full time to part time employees (in 10 reviews)

• Want superior customer service while cutting hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can't found another job in that town jajaja

Cons

Oh yes learning how spike more English jajaja with my paisa English jajaja

Stores Mangers need understand special for deli departments is a very busy department and workers need more time to done some jobs, and give more motivation to continued ahead.

Price Chopper

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone needs food so the job security is great. Turnover throughout the company is consistent so there will always be open jobs that you can apply for if you are interested in moving up.

Cons

Not much of a work life balance for management. They love to tell you what you need to do but not how to do it. Every year they try to cut back in some way.

Listen to your people

Pays well

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement, flexible hours for part timers, multiple departments to cross train in

Cons

Poor home/work life balance, full timers aren't given a lot of flexibility in their shifts

Produce

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Massena, NY
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Massena, NY

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good job with plenty of hours

Cons

Not much pay and bad management.

Listen to your employees.

Great training, & work experience.

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets

Pros

They are great for promoting within the company. Their training programs are thorough.

Cons

No union. Deptartment managers work without benefits. Employees should get dome kind of discounts.

Your managers work extreme hours without fair pay!!!!!

The most remarkable place to work in that I get to share my passion for what the store has to offer,(i.e. Unbeatable savings on groceries and gas) with all the customers with whom I interact with! A very positive atmosphere!

Current Employee - Front End Teammate in Cicero, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Teammate in Cicero, NY

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is positive and everyone that works here is so helpful! We have great customers and love making sure that they are well taken care of.

Cons

There is nothing that has been a con to my experience here at Price Chopper.

Keep doing what you do! Keep delivering great selection at great prices and helping us get more for our money! So thankful for what this store has done for me, not only as an employee, but also as a customer!

Sacker and Cart Pusher

Current Employee - Sacker/Cart Pusher in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Sacker/Cart Pusher in Independence, MO

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Perfect job for those taking college classes or who are still in high school. If you make friends with the management and customer service life is made easier for you. As long as you conduct yourself as a professional, reliable, and on-time to each shift employee, you will do great! (That includes following the exact dress code word for word). If you want to move up into a full time position I suggest getting on good terms with all the managers and store director and things will fall into place faster than if you don't really know them well. It's who you know not what you know most the time.

Cons

Position is not full time, when doing carts customers can be very rude sometimes such as stopping their vehicles directly in front of you as you are pushing 10 carts towards the store, much less on a hill. A machine to push carts would be very much appreciated. High turn over rate due to dissatisfied employees who expected more than what they got out of the job. Starting pay is extremely low starting at $7.25. You can make more at Burger King or Wendies. Most hours you will ever get part-time is around 32 or if you are lucky, 35. Moving up in the company is competitive. Some employees have customers marked as good tippers which will make them refuse to let anybody but themselves do the drive-up, even when it is in clear violation of the employees code of conduct. Some sackers don't do their job right which causes more experienced employees to have to fix mistakes such as correcting the placement of red baskets which can take some time depending on the amount there are that were placed incorrectly.

Provide more opportunities for advancement within the company. Hire people after their first application instead of hiring them after their 6th to 13th one (you'll fill open positions much more quickly that way). Update the training material used for sackers, cashiers, and all other manner of positions employed by Price Chopper. The videos are quite outdated and mostly just repeat what they have already said in each section. or "chapter" as you might call it. Keep up the good work and positivity that you have. Also take into account that although you know every bit of each job responsibility, you may have never actually performed the task or job responsibility. Many times we find out better more innovative ways to finish the job than what is asked of us by management. Management sometimes doesn't recognize that we have a better way that is more efficient than theirs which causes them to think that we need to be "re-trained" when in fact we are getting more done than we would by using their system. Also, train employees in all manner of jobs such as stocking, phone answering, and even dealing with customers because many times sackers just don't communicate positively or professionally with the customer which causes the customer to have a very dull experience while checking out their items. Customers need to have a positive experience so that they will want to come back to the same positive environment. Keep up the good behind-the-scenes work that keeps the company running.

Solid Part-Time Employment

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Lenox, MA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Lenox, MA

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The money wasn't bad for the job requirements. Work-life balance was good as I worked part-time. I further strengthened my customer service skills and learned new deli-related skills. Training was good and I felt comfortable asking questions whenever I had them.

Cons

Many hours spent on your feet and performing repetitive motions (deli slicers). If a shift earlier than you is slammed with customers and falls behind in performing necessary tasks, more work can fall on the closing shift workers. The situation is made worse if you also happen to be responsible for doing inventory during your closing shift in addition to all your regular closing duties.

Hours were fine but overall job atmosphere was dull.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Catskill, NY
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Catskill, NY

I worked at Price Chopper Supermarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You never do things that aren't in your job area, you usually have the same customers and know what they want.

Cons

Very dull repetitive work, no bonuses for great work, no shift changes, employment threatened for not being able to make a shift.

Learn that your employees even the bread maker are the ones who make it all possible. Without them you would be nothing. Treat the great ones a little better.

TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger/Meat/Seafood/Grocery/Propectual Invetory in Amsterdam, NY

I have been working at Price Chopper Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good training for future jobs

Cons

under payed trained for 9 departments making 8$ a hour, crappy hours, dont respect employees terriable company overall

treat employees better.