PriceGrabber.com

3.5

PriceGrabber.com President Steve Krenzer
Steve Krenzer

A Breath of Fresh Air

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com

Pros

Competitive salaries that are higher than most other tech companies, incredible time-off policy (it's almost like they want you to have a life outside of work), supportive work environment, great office space, the people here are awesome to work with and the climate is supportive and fun. They have lots of awesome events to keep the cool culture alive like free Staples Center tickets, happy hour events, First Fridays, breakfast every Friday, and lots more.

Cons

The surrounding area isn't really cool. There isn't a lot to eat within walking distance and there are not many places to hang out during a break.

Nice place to learn some lessons

I worked at PriceGrabber.com

Pros

Training
    Technologies
    Medium-sized company that retains its start-up culture of irreverent fun

Cons

Lack of process
    To much focus on the website, which has been becoming a shrinking part of revenue, rather than focusing on B2B which was a growing source of revenue.

If you are losing at craps and winning at poker, don't bet more and more on craps - consider increasing your bets on poker.

Great company to work for and learn

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work for and learn new technologies. Very casual and friendly environment with a lot of office activities like table tennis, basketball, video games, free Friday breakfasts, first month Friday wine & beer, free event tickets (NBA games, concerts...) and many more.

Very big office space, you don't have to sit in close cubicles with others like a lot of tech companies.

Cons

Not a lot of food options in walking distance, but plenty in 5 to 10 minutes driving distance.

Great company and great place to grow in your career

I worked at PriceGrabber.com

Pros

-Everyone has autonomy to manage their own work.
    -There is flexibility with schedules.
    -The company has new and exciting initiatives they are focusing on for the year.
    -The people at the company are amazing! There is an environment of collaboration and teamwork.
    -Great perks!! Free food in the kitchen, all the coffee you can imagine, great company parties, fun environment, oh, did I mention the people are awesome!

Cons

-There seems to be some challenges with internal tools.
    -Lunch and happy hour options are slim. A quick 10 minute drive can solve that though.

non-micromanagement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-excellent work/life balance
    -a non-micromanagement approach to business. It appears they hire employees who want to be at the company who appear happy. Although that may because of the free snacks in the kitchen.
    -From an innovation standpoint, the company seems to be heading in the right direction with their API development.
    -The company is always mindful to scale its code that's both reliable and tangible within a collaborative environment.
    -Speaking of a collaborative environment, I haven't found people with large ego's. There are a lot of really smart people who are great at what they do. Who's to say that people that have left the company weren't the underachievers.

Cons

-Every company can do better with communication. I would say that Sr. level management could do a better job with stronger communication.

-consider a stronger line of communication with employees.
    -consider having meetings to discuss the well-being of the company.

Recent Unexpected Layoffs Cause Concern

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The recent mass exodus of talent and leadership, followed by an unexpected round of layoffs, has cast a major shadow of doubt among current employees. Once upon a time PriceGrabber was a highly energetic and successful company driven by intelligent hard working people who created a quality product and provided outstanding service. During these years of prosperity the office was vibrant and filled with enthusiasm, creating a work space people genuinely looked forward to being a part of on a daily basis. Happy hours, First Fridays, a bustling game room, collaboration, strong leadership, good life/work balance, Friday breakfast, Westwood office location, transparency, a viable business model, commission structure and friendly people were just a few of the reasons PG was a good place to call a second home. Unfortunately, those days have long since passed and any of the few remaining positives listed above don’t outweigh the lengthy, and constantly growing, list of negatives.

Cons

The technology and infrastructure are outdated and the product itself is no longer compelling. Teams are understaffed and lacking resources. Mediocre middle management has ascended to the top though attrition, not merit, and this has lead to bad business decisions and poor employee morale. Additionally, the ratio of manager to employees is completed skewed and many managers have just a single person who report to them daily, meaning one persons “job” is to make sure one other person is doing their job. The New Accounts department, which has been an essential part of the core business for the last 15 years, was recently deemed unnecessary due to a shift in business focus, and a majority of the department was laid off. New products being focused on and developed are 2-3 years late and are still not functional after nine months of implementation. Taking a long time is not something uncommon to PG and a common complaint from site users is that the load time will time out, or takes unreasonably long to return searches for basic queries.

For the last couple of years upper management has been saying the same thing over and over, but mixing it up slightly to make it sound new and exciting. For example, we have heard over and over that PG is an innovative company leveraging synergy to pivot and be successful… PG leverages synergy to pivot and be more innovative… PG is currently in the process of pivoting to be more innovative and be more synergy like. The employees are not dumb and they are tired of hearing the same old, over used, industry buzz words when they want to know actual facts and where the company stands. For most employees this is a career and a major part of their lives, something that they take great pride in doing day in and day out. PG seems to have lost contact with the human aspect of success and the current leaderships does not have the social skills to recapture what made PG successful. The people are the foundation from which success is built. If you don’t have the people, you don’t have a foundation. If you don’t have a foundation you will inevitably fall.

Without a doubt this honest and accurate review will be quickly pushed down the page by a trumped up review touting PG as a great place to work.

Great Place to work

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time

Pros

Collaborative team atmosphere, management focuses on career development, employees who work hard are rewarded for their efforts, benefits are great, 401k matching is solid. There are solid people here, that have been here for a long time, in addition to many recent additions that are great people. Many people I consider to be friends beyond work.

Cons

The location itself, could be better, but game room, kitchens, and food provided are awesome.

Continue to reward individuals who are passionate about their work. Keep coming up with new programs for the most senior leaders to have exposure to all employees. Continue to be transparent with employees in order to maximize buy in.

Fun Co-Workers, but Management can use some improvement

Current Employee - Sales Ops Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Ops Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun Co-workers
    - Raffles for Staple Center Tickets
    - Catered breakfast every Friday

Cons

-Slow turnaround time for hiring replacements
    - Most departments are understaffed

Management needs to more active in hiring more employees to replace employees that leave since most departments are understaffed and overworked.

Great place to work

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pricegrabber is not complacent. We are always looking to improve and we are willing to try new things. It is a fantastic place to work due to an amazing company culture. There are been numerous employees promoted to senior level and management roles and some who have started in entry level positions that have worked there way to management. If you work hard you will be rewarded

Cons

Not the best location, lack of food options. There has been a great deal of change at PG over the last few years but frankly it was needed. With change some people struggle to adapt and that has lead to some turnover however there is a vision of where we are looking to go and we are bringing in the talent to get us there.

Continue to be transparent about the direction of the company.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time

Pros

PriceGrabber is big on our work life balance, great people, great benefits. Makes for a good place to work.

Cons

Morale is getting better, but we could do more to work across teams. Instead of the culture where there's a group to blame - it would be good if we all considered problems something we'd solve together.

Better transparency would be good, but I like our new business plans and I want our leadership to trust our employees to sharing more information so that we can figure out where we can bring ideas ourselves.