PriceGrabber.com

Steve Krenzer

non-micromanagement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-excellent work/life balance
    -a non-micromanagement approach to business. It appears they hire employees who want to be at the company who appear happy. Although that may because of the free snacks in the kitchen.
    -From an innovation standpoint, the company seems to be heading in the right direction with their API development.
    -The company is always mindful to scale its code that's both reliable and tangible within a collaborative environment.
    -Speaking of a collaborative environment, I haven't found people with large ego's. There are a lot of really smart people who are great at what they do. Who's to say that people that have left the company weren't the underachievers.

Cons

-Every company can do better with communication. I would say that Sr. level management could do a better job with stronger communication.

-consider a stronger line of communication with employees.
    -consider having meetings to discuss the well-being of the company.

Fun Co-Workers, but Management can use some improvement

Current Employee - Sales Ops Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Ops Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun Co-workers
    - Raffles for Staple Center Tickets
    - Catered breakfast every Friday

Cons

-Slow turnaround time for hiring replacements
    - Most departments are understaffed

Management needs to more active in hiring more employees to replace employees that leave since most departments are understaffed and overworked.

Recent Unexpected Layoffs Cause Concern

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The recent mass exodus of talent and leadership, followed by an unexpected round of layoffs, has cast a major shadow of doubt among current employees. Once upon a time PriceGrabber was a highly energetic and successful company driven by intelligent hard working people who created a quality product and provided outstanding service. During these years of prosperity the office was vibrant and filled with enthusiasm, creating a work space people genuinely looked forward to being a part of on a daily basis. Happy hours, First Fridays, a bustling game room, collaboration, strong leadership, good life/work balance, Friday breakfast, Westwood office location, transparency, a viable business model, commission structure and friendly people were just a few of the reasons PG was a good place to call a second home. Unfortunately, those days have long since passed and any of the few remaining positives listed above don’t outweigh the lengthy, and constantly growing, list of negatives.

Cons

The technology and infrastructure are outdated and the product itself is no longer compelling. Teams are understaffed and lacking resources. Mediocre middle management has ascended to the top though attrition, not merit, and this has lead to bad business decisions and poor employee morale. Additionally, the ratio of manager to employees is completed skewed and many managers have just a single person who report to them daily, meaning one persons “job” is to make sure one other person is doing their job. The New Accounts department, which has been an essential part of the core business for the last 15 years, was recently deemed unnecessary due to a shift in business focus, and a majority of the department was laid off. New products being focused on and developed are 2-3 years late and are still not functional after nine months of implementation. Taking a long time is not something uncommon to PG and a common complaint from site users is that the load time will time out, or takes unreasonably long to return searches for basic queries.

For the last couple of years upper management has been saying the same thing over and over, but mixing it up slightly to make it sound new and exciting. For example, we have heard over and over that PG is an innovative company leveraging synergy to pivot and be successful… PG leverages synergy to pivot and be more innovative… PG is currently in the process of pivoting to be more innovative and be more synergy like. The employees are not dumb and they are tired of hearing the same old, over used, industry buzz words when they want to know actual facts and where the company stands. For most employees this is a career and a major part of their lives, something that they take great pride in doing day in and day out. PG seems to have lost contact with the human aspect of success and the current leaderships does not have the social skills to recapture what made PG successful. The people are the foundation from which success is built. If you don’t have the people, you don’t have a foundation. If you don’t have a foundation you will inevitably fall.

Without a doubt this honest and accurate review will be quickly pushed down the page by a trumped up review touting PG as a great place to work.

Great Place to work

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time

Pros

Collaborative team atmosphere, management focuses on career development, employees who work hard are rewarded for their efforts, benefits are great, 401k matching is solid. There are solid people here, that have been here for a long time, in addition to many recent additions that are great people. Many people I consider to be friends beyond work.

Cons

The location itself, could be better, but game room, kitchens, and food provided are awesome.

Continue to reward individuals who are passionate about their work. Keep coming up with new programs for the most senior leaders to have exposure to all employees. Continue to be transparent with employees in order to maximize buy in.

Great place to work

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pricegrabber is not complacent. We are always looking to improve and we are willing to try new things. It is a fantastic place to work due to an amazing company culture. There are been numerous employees promoted to senior level and management roles and some who have started in entry level positions that have worked there way to management. If you work hard you will be rewarded

Cons

Not the best location, lack of food options. There has been a great deal of change at PG over the last few years but frankly it was needed. With change some people struggle to adapt and that has lead to some turnover however there is a vision of where we are looking to go and we are bringing in the talent to get us there.

Continue to be transparent about the direction of the company.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time

Pros

PriceGrabber is big on our work life balance, great people, great benefits. Makes for a good place to work.

Cons

Morale is getting better, but we could do more to work across teams. Instead of the culture where there's a group to blame - it would be good if we all considered problems something we'd solve together.

Better transparency would be good, but I like our new business plans and I want our leadership to trust our employees to sharing more information so that we can figure out where we can bring ideas ourselves.

Profits are way down and so is morale

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexibility in schedule (no one is every at work - go to tech on a Friday at 11 am)
    - Great coworkers, snacks and insurance
    - Bosses that work only half the week and are low stress

Cons

- Outdated product which doesn't monetize
    - CEO who has never worked a online business, and doesn't understand success metrics
    - No visibility with revenue or profit internally, or success of new projects/products
    - Tech team which shifts the blame to anyone near them
    - Outdated team structures
    - Legacy tech/PM mgmt issues from corporate experian days (they sold PriceGrabber back in 2012 - and PG could't save itself)

When numbers are as bleak as they look, jump. Even purchasing an fashion app (which all the founders and employees who started it left) won't help. The 80%+ slide in profit will continue because the new products are deemed outdated when the launch. JUMP.

Better back in the day than now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, free snacks, exciting break room. Flexible with time off/life balance

Cons

Do not provide necessary tools, resources, innovation, tech/bug support to be successful in role. They claim there is great opportunity, but most moves are lateral (if any), even demotions in job responsibility due to recent restructuring. Overall poor office morale with a heightened sense of entitlement in regards to client account distribution.

Be more transparent with tech issue updates, lead by example, be proactive and not reactive

Fun for a short while, but people move on pretty quick

I worked at PriceGrabber.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young energetic tech company. They try to make it a fun place for people who starts there. Might be a great place to learn about sales as it has a large sales department

Cons

People work in their own islands. Senior members are who made the big bucks, new people are often ignored and used until they quit. Many lack people skills and the people who works there the longest only wants to relate to people who are the same. Too much fighting between ranks. Sales people do not make much money, and often leave in about a couple of months.

Loved the Company

I worked at PriceGrabber.com

Pros

Work-life balance, great people and culture

Cons

Experian was control towards the end.