Priceline.com Reviews

Paul Hennessey

1. Featured Review

Great Company, Great People, Great Personal Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in the New York office and the culture is very similar to a startup. The New York office is full of life and has the feel of a start up culture (casual, fooseball and ping pong tables, snacks, beer) while still maintaining professionalism. People are great and they give you the opportunity to take the lead where you see fit. Not every decision needs a sign off and it allows for growth and innovation.

Cons

Still have some of that traditional and corporate mindset. Although, I don't completely consider it a con because it adds a level of professionalism that not all employers have these days.

Advice to Management

Customer Conversion department management is great. I love the ability to be heard, even in lower tiers. The goals setting gives employees to have an opportunity to take initiative and fix issues with processes.

2. Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Positive work environment, Good People

Cons

very fast paced company in a very competative industry

3. Senior Developer

I worked at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Was a growing company at one point.

Cons

No growth at all. Lot of politics. If you are not in favorite side of your Boss then you are done. Peanut salary raises. They kind of deceive at the time of joining. Benefits offered at the time of joining are taken back after joining.

Advice to Management

Try to promote and give raise based on qualification and skills.

Backend IT managers are lost in their own world

I have been working at Priceline.com

Pros

Good place to work in general. Good projects you will enjoy. Abundance of technology. Some very smart people. Good work life balance.

Cons

Managers at backend IT are really poor at managing projects. There is so much politics and fights going on after the new ceo took over. This is the only con in backend engineering departments. Some people have been here too long and are stuck in their ways.

Advice to Management

Needs evaluation cio downwards to bring upto par with how front end teams are working

6. Startup Rebirth Within Older Company

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The level of autonomy here is unreal. Right from the start you are empowered to own and manage projects. You have a direct and meaningful impact on the business and our user's happiness. This level of autonomy and entrepreneurship works well here because the people who work here are all very smart and willing to help each other. Everyone here tends to be great problem solvers, meaning they figure things out as they go along vs. having someone hold their hand the whole way. Not to say there isn't any training though. Everyone, even those not on your team, are very willing to help you out so that you can learn and be successful. It also works because of the trusting environment - you and your team willl make the right decisions and work on the right opportunities. Teams are flat and are really a way to make sure everyone is working towards the right direction as fast as possible by clearing any road blocks that you come across. Management is very accessible and values feedback and ideas from the bottom. Not much top down direction other than high-level quarterly "themes". The people are really fun, interesting and genuinely nice. Some tend to hang around afterwork for a bit to chat over beers. This is specific to the NYC office though.

Cons

NYC office can at times feel disjoined from things happening in the Norwalk office. However, this has been changing as the footprint of the NYC office has grown significantly in terms of headcount and importance to the future business. Your personal success really depends on your manager. I mention this because your manager is really there to clear road blocks for you. There are older managers (Norwalk mainly) that are very poor mentors. When interviewing, ask questions as to how they will help you develop within the company and help you be successful at your job. Pay in my opinion could be better or more transparent. It seems to be inconsistent with the market and even within the company. I'd like to know where I stand in pay relative to others with my title at the company and within the industry.

Advice to Management

Leading change is never easy but Paul brings good energy and has quickly identified key areas of the business and culture that need to be improved. Just in his 3 months here, things have gotten much better. With all the changes and growth in the business, I would like to see the company vision more narrowly defined and communicated to everyone.

Okay if you're liked

I worked at Priceline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great bonuses. A really innovative and cool company with smart people. Easy to enjoy the product offered. Good team building.

Cons

Low Salary, nepotism. Couldn't get a promotion/raise cause boss was taking credit for my work. Felt left out of decisions cause there was a in-club atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people at the lower ends. They do a ton of work but only directors and above seemed to get all the credit and accolades.

current employee

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Priceline.com is a great place for work/life balance. I feel like it has a very positive, laid back culture as well. Good morale.

Cons

I feel that the salaries are not as competitive as the rest of the marketplace. There should be more incentive offerings

9. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, very flexible and a fun environment.

Cons

Hard to move up if you don't know the right people. Communication needs improvement.

Advice to Management

make promotions and job movement fair for everyone.

10. great place to work

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a real opportunity to make an impact on Priceline as it is scaling up its hiring. There is a welcome, explicit focus on corporate values. The perks are nice -- a beer-filled fridge, weekly yoga, a foosball table, summer Fridays, summer and Christmas parties -- but the actual work, with passionate and committed people, makes it a great place to be. Work/life balance is good and management is great about treating employees like adults.

Cons

The travel industry is consolidating, and Priceline focused for so long on cost containment that it found itself behind its competitors. This leads to a frustrating feeling of trying to catch up to a moving target. Don't know about the long term outlook for the company or the online travel business as a whole. Competing on price is a tough place to be.

Advice to Management

Bring in the best new hires you possibly can, and promote the best employees as fast as possible.

11. Good place to begin

I have been working at Priceline.com

Pros

Fast environment, smart people and vision

Cons

Small growth and few opportunities for promotion

Advice to Management

Better incentives

RSS Feed </> Embed