Pride Mobility Products Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
39 reviews filtered by
2.7
Scott S. Meuser

1. In a small area with limited opportunity, Pride is the best place to work.

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Pride through the good and the bad. I started during the times of lavish Holiday Parties and perks, and when times got hard and the company took a hit I was one of the people laid off. It was very hard for me and it was equally hard for my manager. I have always loved my Pride family and have made some of my best friends here. In the 10+ years at Pride I have advance through my own hard work and not because I am in some "good 'ol boys club". When a company goes through a hard time and has to make cuts people get angry and point fingers at the CEO or HR, this isn't just at Pride, this is everywhere! Business is business and unfortunate, tough decisions have to be made and no one enjoys it. I saw an opportunity a couple years ago to come back and I took it. Within a year of coming back I got a new position and a promotion. The CEO and his family have always been very approachable to me and have always been willing to help me and my family out. I have seen many friends be promoted and advance through their years at Pride. In this small area where there is not much opportunity this is one of the best places to work.

Cons

In some cases you have to do more with less, dealing with tight budgets.

Doing a great job does not always mean putting in extra hours. If you can go above and beyond within your 8 hour work day that says more to me than someone who has to work extra every day to get the job done. Time management and efficiency are great qualities.

Going the wrong way down a one way track.

Former Employee - R&D in Exeter, PA
    Former Employee - R&D in Exeter, PA

I worked at Pride Mobility Products full-time

Pros

I worked with some great people there. There were times when the job was fun. There is also a sense of satisfaction knowing the products you make are helping people.

Cons

Management is completely clueless. It is a culture of hire, throw under the bus, fire, repeat. The people who are truly a detriment to the company will never leave because they protect themselves. It is without a doubt a good 'ol boys club like so many others have mentioned. Salary is insultingly poor - even for the area. There are people who work hard and are not recognized and people who hardly work at all yet maintain their status.

Get your head out of the sand. Take a class on leadership. Collaborate with leaders at other companies in the area to see what works for them. Being a yes man doesn't make you a leader and they are short on leaders.

Look before you leap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time

Pros

Benefits. Many good people come then go. Friends and family are always welcome. Good stepping stone company. Having a hard time finding positive things to say.

Cons

High stress, no long term strategy, what are we doing today? Where the wind blows this company shall go. Friends and family first company. Below average pay scales. Continually eliminating positions to make room the latest friend or family member.

Poor business decisions are rampant by non-qualified personnel in leadership positions. Promote based on education and knowledge, not because you want to keep a friend around or bring one on board. Never seen a company with such a revolving door at the top.

5. People need to go in order to improve this company.

Current Employee - Research and Development in Exeter, PA
    Current Employee - Research and Development in Exeter, PA

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some very intelligent and driven individuals. I am happy with my job. The company overall is incredible. Watching individuals live a better life with our products is an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

Highschool all over again. Get rid of the rotten eggs. Listen to your employees and do us all a favor.

The good ol boys club that everyone likes to bring up. Lets remember it is not only boys. The root of the problems are in that group. Watch your management. It seems to me and a lot of other folk a certain few like to take complete advantage of time and no one wants to hear about your personal problems. We all have problems, it is called life. Cry about it on your own time. COO, VPs, Directors, take your personal feelings about someone out of the mix. It would be a better place for everyone.

Running a corporate culture of fear.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Duryea, PA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Duryea, PA

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products

Pros

Health benefits, dress down on Fridays.

Cons

Employees are run by a culture of fear. Business too dependant on government handouts. Employees retaliated against for dissenting opinions. Mandatory overtime. Forced to work on Saturdays. Makes empty promises. Not progressive as far as employee perks. Lack of communication between management. Disorganized.

Start actually investing back into your employees. Be open and honest with your employees when you decide to fire them.

7. Great place for a career

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyable working environment. Very reasonable working hours. Most management is supportive and receptive to feedback. 401K match and annual performance increases were still being offered even through the economic crash. Health benefits are excellent, far better than any friends or family are offered at other companies. Although there was downsizing, through the economic crash, the company is thriving and expanding throughout the country. The CEO is committed to making this company the most successful in the industry.

Cons

Communication could be better. Some people are not receptive to change or suggestions.

Reward those who do good and initiate positive change. Hold workers accountable for mistakes. Keep health benefits low.

Once Great, Now Not So

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started working for Pride I loved my job. I enjoyed the work I did, and I enjoyed the people I worked with. I learned a lot during my employment. That changed over several years.
    Despite what other reviewers stated, the benefits are actually pretty good. I was always pleased with the options available. However, I am single. Not sure how having a spouse and children would impact the payroll deduction.
    The company develops products that have huge positive impacts on peoples lives. That is probably the number one "Pro". People truly need these mobility products, and despite the organizational and bureaucratic problems, the products are generally very good quality. In my opinion, they are aesthetically the best on the market. There are some great people working here also.

Cons

The company has a self funded insurance program. Im afraid the cost of this is reflected on the cost to the employees through payroll deduction, despite reasonable benefit packages. This is purely speculation.

Over the years the quality of the workplace has declined severely in terms of huge lay offs resulting in low morale that never quite recovered. Some people left on their own. A lot of experience and talent went out of the door in one way or another; R&D especially. The workload for the employees who were left was heavy to say the least. Over-worked, under-payed, especially when compared to national averages per position. They brought in outside management and really mixed things up, and really messed things up. Granted, prior to this there was the "Good Ole Boys Club" like others mentioned, but the resulting breakup had dramatic effects on productivity, leadership, and morale. Something needed to be done, but it was done in the wrong way. The work environment has suffered ever since. Senior Management has not shown leadership; only the ability to place blame and create excuses instead of standing by whats right. Promises are made by the "Yes Men" without proper knowledge of what is involved (or complete disregard), resulting in unreasonable expectations that lead to increased stress on employees and decreased output. Senior management preaches that certain procedures are to be followed only to go against them and take shortcuts time and time again, thus creating more chaos and more work further down the road. Middle Management "takes a beating" as a result.
    In terms of product functionality, features and quality, they don't seem to be on the same level as the top end European products. Though as I stated, quality is very good; aesthetically excellent.

Read some books on leadership. Not some corporate management book or anything suggested by HR. Take it upon yourself to read some classics; "How to win friends and Influence People", "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership", "Leadership and Self Deception". Firstly, make the investment in yourself by educating yourself. Secondly, use your newly gained knowledge in the workplace and make a positive impact. Stand up for whats right. Say No. Take responsibility. Instead of acting like a hot-shot with a nice sounding title, set an example for the culture of the workplace that you operate.

9. Great Company Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duryea, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duryea, PA

I have been working at Pride Mobility Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company continues to adjust to the changing marketplace to grow and help workers, that want to excel, grow with them. Management understands work/life balance and will go the extra mile to help employees. Vacation time and benefits package are very strong. Working for a company that helps change peoples lives is very rewarding.

Cons

Cons are with the posts I've looked at regarding Pride. Disgruntled employees /former employees painting a poor picture of the place I've worked hard to make a career at disturbs me. Pride is full of intelligent, hard working, driven employees that enjoy working here --and the majority of them will most likely never post on this site because they are not looking outside the company. I found this site doing a company search for product news.
    A workplace is what you make it. If you are not happy with what you do--simply find something that makes you happy. When I see multiple employees every year get recognized for 15-20-25 years of service on the Pride website---that alone shows me what kind of place Pride is. These are the people who should be posting reviews on this site. I am one of these employees and I am not a HR rep. If you knew me you'd know I am posting this for no other reason than to state how I see things at Pride.

Continue to drive forward with products that change peoples lives. Continue to make us proud we say we work at Pride.

Working with not so nice people

Former Employee - Phone Operator in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Phone Operator in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Pride Mobility Products

Pros

Pride has nothing to offer except it own bad reputation.

Cons

They make you talk badly to the customers. No one knows anything. No one is willing to help a customer. Everyone passes the buck.

Close the company and get into a different business.

Pride Mobility Products Response

Jan 30, 2015Senior Director, Human Resources

Because Pride Mobility Products does not have a facility or “Phone Operators” in Lancaster, PA, this review is confusing to us. We want to address any issues that may exist especially in relation to ... More

Family owner private company that does not understand how to treat its employees

I worked at Pride Mobility Products

Pros

NONE, I truly wish I had something nice to say about this company. But I have nothing. When I was first hired, all I saw in the storeroom, where they took my ID Badge photo, were cases upon cases of terminated employees.

Cons

Company is so inbred and stuck in the past that it actually believes it provides its employees with a nice place to work. They use intimidation to manager their personnel rather than setting realistic goals that can be achieved through team work. Given the competition this company faces I am fairly certain that they may not be around 5 or 10 years from now without significant change from the top down.

HIRE high quality managers from outside the organization and take a good hard look at your benefits package. It's extremely outdated and quite frankly sub-par.