Primary Services

Updated October 8, 2014
2.6

Regina Mellinger

I worked at Primary Services

Pros

Fun company
    Treats employees well
    Room for growth

Cons

Everyone was sweet and I didn't have any cons in the summer I worked there

Call in after your last day so you are not denied benefits for failing to call.

I worked at Primary Services

Pros

Good assignments
    Good pay rates
    Decent benefits
    Paid promptly

Cons

No communication from agency once you are on assignment. So happy to read review of 7/28/2014, particularly point #4. They did the same thing to me, even though I visited the agency after my assignment and went on interviews. I am appealing their decision to deny my benefits. Very disappointing after dedicating two years of service to them.

Awesome payrolling service!

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Helpful staff, never missed any of my paydays. Loved the electronic timekeeping process.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Run, don't Walk

Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, commission, good benefits if you are hired on as a permanent employee

Cons

Contract Work, Inconsistent Policies, next to impossible to be hired on as a permanent employee, no benefits as a contractor

Make sure your policies are consistent. Terminating employees for performance is one thing, but make sure that standard operating procedure is followed. If there is supposed to be a level of coaching that is to be followed (i.e. write-up for missing goals), then it should be followed rather than just terminating someone for performance when in reality it was because the call volume was low.

If considering please read to protect yourself- worked very hard to make sure I didn't get unemployment

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor

Pros

They did exactly what they said they would: they got me an interview and I got the job. They paid weekly as promised. I worked for close to two years and the project ended.
    I got a mug for Christmas

Cons

Please read number 4 closely:
    1 "Benefits" were a joke
    2 Professional pay extremely low compared to other staffing companies. I needed the job
    3 Minimal communication between company and me during assignment
    4 There seemed to be an effort to make certain that I, and other fellow employees, were denied unemployment. Here's how: I spoke with Primary during my final week to make sure that I took care of everything i needed on my end and to be considered for future placement. My last day I had the same conversation with my staffing agent."what do I need to do next for a new job" and her reply was "nothing, I've got you in the system already". I kept checking back with her for updates and told the same thing. Flash forward to a few weeks when I'm being denied my UI. Why? Well, Primary has an actual process that is required to follow to be eligible for UI. It involves calling into a special number and announcing yourself as eligible for work- weekly! The UI office told me they had a piece of paper, helpfully supplied by Primary, stating that I agreed to follow this procedure or else will not receive benefits. Apparently fine print at the bottom of the application. So when I called this same person at Primary she professed to remember nothing of our past conversations.

do your research- you will see that I am not alone and it appears to be a deceit aimed at avoiding UI payments. Considering how much money I made that company (I know their profit margin and let's just say it's not the employees getting rich) it's insulting. Have been called over the years by them asking if I'd be interested in a project and I ask them if they've stopped that practice. No response until the next contact by a different person.

Just be transparent about everything. Pay market rates. Respect the employees working to keep you in the black and quit the UI denial game. I don't know how a class action lawsuit hasn't occurred yet.

A great personable and growing company

I have been working at Primary Services

Pros

Quite turn around time, Good communication about timelines and expectation, Friendly Staff, Fortune 500 clients, Good understanding of the market

Cons

Not many. They are honest with people about pay rates and skill sets

Overall this was the best experience I had working with a temporary agency

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They work with a lot of top companies in Houston. They provide long-term contract employment as well as a few direct hire opportunities.

Cons

Once you have worked on in a contract position for a long period of time it is easy to get disconnected from the recruiters. When my contract ended it was slightly difficult to get placed in another opportunity.

Benefits such as vacation and health insurance should be better for long term contract employees.

LifeSaver

Current Employee - Doc Cnntrol in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Doc Cnntrol in Houston, TX

I have been working at Primary Services as a contractor

Pros

I worked with them from 2001 - 2006, they were awesome, I worked with Helen and she was very nice and professional.

Cons

I think they need to have more people like they did when they had Helen, now its seems they don't care as much.

Make sure all your recruiters are doing follow-ups with people who really have a lot to offer.

OK for recent grads .

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor

Pros

Not so much experience required.

Cons

no advancement. even if hired full time.

Difficult to work with and do not stick up for their employees/contractors

Former Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at Primary Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to get placed at a Fortune 500 company with a good wage

Cons

When I was informed that my contract was ended, it was abrupt and no prior notice. No reasons given as to why. When filed for unemployment, they challenged it causing it to be denied.

Talk to your contractors and find out how to partner with them and help resolve issues. Be an actual "Representative" for the contractors to help in their process and possible transition to full time employment

Primary Services Photos

We had a blast giving out Ben & Jerry's ice cream to over 500 people at a vendor showcase for one of our clients! Primary is always excited to partner with our clients for fun events.

+ Add Photo