Prime Distribution Services Reviews

Mark R. Holden

1. Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was decent.

Cons

Management has run the company in the ground. I was one of 45 that got laid off. Their lack of common sense has destroyed a good company to work for. Employees no longer get any perks other than a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If you value your employees they will be valueable in return. Quit trying to change so many things at one time.

2. It wasn't a bad place to work

Former Employee - Packer in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Packer in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

The people are great to work with

Cons

The management needs lots of work

Advice to Management

Get someone in there that knows what there doing and can run a warehouse successfully

3. Not Great

I worked at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

The people that are in the office and warehouse are nice. If the right changes were made it could be a good company.

Cons

Executives do not have a clue. The training is awful. No work life balance. From what I was told it once was a good company making a profit that was a great place to work. Then they sold it and it's gone downhill ever since. From what I saw I would believe it.

Advice to Management

People are afraid to say what they really want to say to try to help the company. They feel intimidated and that if they do speak up it won't matter. Ask the team that was there in the "good days" what was different about how it was ran and how they treated employees and make some changes.

5. This company started strong until current owners took over.

Former Employee - Pool Manager in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Pool Manager in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Good floor associates that are willing to do the job when respected and treated equally. Good location for the business provided.

Cons

Very little Senior management understanding of complete customer needs to maintain customers serviced. Little to no company training for any position and do not maintain consistent standards among employees. Do not treat all employees equal.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Good personnel and be consistent with the work schedules to make your workers feel more like a team instead of a detriment to the business, Speak to ALL employees with respect instead of talking down to them.

6. BIG Turnover-Poor Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plainfield, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plainfield, IL

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is descent for hourly employees

Cons

Company let go of 17 employees who have been there for years. Hired temporary people to replace. PARKING SUCKS and if you work in the other end of the building expect to walk a mile = 15 minutes to get to your work area.

Advice to Management

If "your right hand" does not know what "your left hand" is doing then it is time to get new management. If your management can not work together as a TEAM; why would you expect your company to do the same.

7. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU VALUE YOUR CAREER!

Former Employee - Operations in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Operations in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Old ownership was fantastic. Company was growing, customers were happy, benefits were great, employees wanted to stay and grow. PDS really had that family feel to it. Everything was about servicing the customer. Every decision was made to benefit the customer back then.

Cons

Bought out by Roadrunner Transportation in 2011. Everything changed in an instant.... Benefits taken away. Customers leaving because the service is terrible and nothing can be done because it is now all about saving money. All the management that made PDS successful has been run out. Current management brought in by Roadrunner and BVH do not have a clue on how to keep the customer happy! Current president can't even work his own email and instead has his secretary type everything for him - how demeaning is that... All decisions are now done in the name of making money and service is not a priority no matter how big the customer!!! Current customers see the lack of service and many have left. Work life balance for managers is non-existent. Most managers and above are drove to 12+ hour days with little regard for their families.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and review the 1st few years under your leadership. You may think you know the consolidation industry but you ran off everyone that made the company successful. PDS has become the "laughing-stock" of most consolidation programs and is currently the best sales tool for CaseStack. Current leadership could not make this company half of what it was under old leadership. Remember that without customers and employees, this company cannot exist!!! PDS values neither at this point.

8. 25 years working in distribution management, this was the worst employer ever.

Former Employee - Special Project Manager in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Special Project Manager in Stockton, CA

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wow I can not think of one. Seriously.

Cons

Management lies to employees. They do not abide by California labor laws. Do not pay double time for working over 12 hours in a shift. They believe that because they are headquartered in Indiana that California labor laws don't apply to them. That's wrong! The facility is unsafe and should be the poster child for the Teamsters. They need the union there. They abuse the hourly staff and take advantage of people trying to earn a living. I was let go for not possessing the needed "skill set". OK, after 25 years in distribution management...right. But then they tell the state that I quit on the spot with no notice. I don't think so. That's why I say they are liars.

Advice to Management

Develope a work ethic. Learn about the labor laws in the states where you do business.

9. the experience was great, the employees were very friendly and good teammates.

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prime is a part of a large organization that keeps on growing year over year

Cons

the company is good to work for it is the upper management that needs to be replaced

Advice to Management

change the attitude and treat employees with dignity and respect

10. Don't Bother

I worked at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

Job was fun, coworkers at the time were great people, pay and benefits were very good based on a 40-55 hour work wee.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management, the guys running the company are more concerned with themselves and how much they can make off the backs of those doing the actual work. Work life balance doesn't exists, mid level managers are expected to do nothing but work.

Advice to Management

Get out on the floor more and learn what your people do. You say you understand the jobs, but you have no idea.

11. Extremely Unorganized

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive were the people I worked with. Very hard workers given the amount of work and the skeleton crew they were trying to get by with doing that work!!

Cons

Honestly, I'm not sure where to even begin. When I had interviewed with the company I was not informed by HR that the company had just been bought by another company two weeks prior. ( If I had know this to be the case I would not have taken the job as I had been through a similar situation with my previous employer). From the interview I was informed that their was lots of paperwork of which I would be dealing with and I just chalked it up to the time of year ( Holiday Season) of which I was hired. This was not the case at all! The reason behind all of the paperwork was because they didn't have enough people to handle it all. With the checking and rechecking (by other employees) when you only have 5 to 6 customer service people and they do everything short of actually loading the freight onto the trailers it's no wonder you had your best CSR leave. Having the Warehouse Managers breathing down your neck does not help!!

Advice to Management

Get your act together. It's no wonder you have lost your number one Customer! If your customer service reps have to work almost 60 hours just to get work done that should be a warning sign that something is amiss!! EVEN THE WORK LOAD!! Having a CSR being responsible for almost 50 Distribution Centers and another one responsible for only 6 that's a problem!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed