Prime Distribution Services

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
1.8

Mark R. Holden

the experience was great, the employees were very friendly and good teammates.

Former Employee - Director of Business Development  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Prime is a part of a large organization that keeps on growing year over year

Cons

the company is good to work for it is the upper management that needs to be replaced

change the attitude and treat employees with dignity and respect

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU VALUE YOUR CAREER!

Former Employee - Operations  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Operations in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Old ownership was fantastic. Company was growing, customers were happy, benefits were great, employees wanted to stay and grow. PDS really had that family feel to it. Everything was about servicing the customer. Every decision was made to benefit the customer back then.

Cons

Bought out by Roadrunner Transportation in 2011. Everything changed in an instant.... Benefits taken away. Customers leaving because the service is terrible and nothing can be done because it is now all about saving money. All the management that made PDS successful has been run out. Current management brought in by Roadrunner and BVH do not have a clue on how to keep the customer happy! Current president can't even work his own email and instead has his secretary type everything for him - how demeaning is that... All decisions are now done in the name of making money and service is not a priority no matter how big the customer!!! Current customers see the lack of service and many have left.
    Work life balance for managers is non-existent. Most managers and above are drove to 12+ hour days with little regard for their families.

Take a step back and review the 1st few years under your leadership. You may think you know the consolidation industry but you ran off everyone that made the company successful. PDS has become the "laughing-stock" of most consolidation programs and is currently the best sales tool for CaseStack.
    Current leadership could not make this company half of what it was under old leadership. Remember that without customers and employees, this company cannot exist!!! PDS values neither at this point.

25 years working in distribution management, this was the worst employer ever.

Former Employee - Special Project Manager  in  Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Special Project Manager in Stockton, CA

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wow I can not think of one. Seriously.

Cons

Management lies to employees. They do not abide by California labor laws. Do not pay double time for working over 12 hours in a shift. They believe that because they are headquartered in Indiana that California labor laws don't apply to them. That's wrong! The facility is unsafe and should be the poster child for the Teamsters. They need the union there. They abuse the hourly staff and take advantage of people trying to earn a living. I was let go for not possessing the needed "skill set". OK, after 25 years in distribution management...right. But then they tell the state that I quit on the spot with no notice. I don't think so. That's why I say they are liars.

Develope a work ethic. Learn about the labor laws in the states where you do business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Bother

I worked at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

Job was fun, coworkers at the time were great people, pay and benefits were very good based on a 40-55 hour work wee.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management, the guys running the company are more concerned with themselves and how much they can make off the backs of those doing the actual work. Work life balance doesn't exists, mid level managers are expected to do nothing but work.

Get out on the floor more and learn what your people do. You say you understand the jobs, but you have no idea.

Extremely Unorganized

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only positive were the people I worked with. Very hard workers given the amount of work and the skeleton crew they were trying to get by with doing that work!!

Cons

Honestly, I'm not sure where to even begin. When I had interviewed with the company I was not informed by HR that the company had just been bought by another company two weeks prior. ( If I had know this to be the case I would not have taken the job as I had been through a similar situation with my previous employer). From the interview I was informed that their was lots of paperwork of which I would be dealing with and I just chalked it up to the time of year ( Holiday Season) of which I was hired. This was not the case at all!

The reason behind all of the paperwork was because they didn't have enough people to handle it all. With the checking and rechecking (by other employees) when you only have 5 to 6 customer service people and they do everything short of actually loading the freight onto the trailers it's no wonder you had your best CSR leave. Having the Warehouse Managers breathing down your neck does not help!!

Get your act together. It's no wonder you have lost your number one Customer!

If your customer service reps have to work almost 60 hours just to get work done that should be a warning sign that something is amiss!!

EVEN THE WORK LOAD!!

Having a CSR being responsible for almost 50 Distribution Centers and another one responsible for only 6 that's a problem!!!

Changes, But Not for the Better....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

One of the few reasons to work here is the people you work with, by that I mean your co-workers...not most of management. I used to feel a sense of job security (our customer is Walmart...and they're not closing up shop anytime soon), however, over the last year or two changes have been made in management that lessen my sense of job security.

Cons

The communication between management and the people that work on the floor is pathetic...and obvious sensible changes to improve everything from productivity to morale are never made and barely even mentioned. The bonus program is a joke...the company gets more and more profitable and the little guys are given less and less, as though the people who are working the hardest aren't the ones mainly responsible for ever increasing profits. Management is oblivious when it comes to motivating its employees, rewarding them or really even letting them make suggestions for improvement that will actually be considered. Many of the people that work here are nice, down to earth people who work hard and don't complain...even when they should. The HR department is also joke, and the company could care less about grooming its employees for advancement. Many of your workers are unhappy....and either you couldn't care less or are completely unaware.

As if they'd listen...or read this, but: Consider and realize how valuable your employees, particularly your hourly workers, are to the success of the company and the increase in profits. Take the time to find out what isn't working by talking to those that actually do the work...and make changes for the better. Make an effort to be consistent, in many areas, because a serious lack of consistency frustrates your workforce...daily.

Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Prime Distribution Services

Pros

Good industry and niche reputation. A lot of operation control put in the hands of floor managers. Promote from within opportunities.

Cons

Going through changes in ownership. Poor communication on the strategy for growth. Poor communication on changes in the company. Leadership is not good a developing people. High turnover.

Start developing people in the organization so that future leaders are prepared to move up in the organization. Communicate better internally for all of the changes being implemented. Give team member the opportunity to adjust to the changes.

Worked for Prime Distribution Services? Contribute to the Community!