Prime

3.3

Prime President Robert E. Low
Robert E. Low

Have been here for 4 years and has been the best company in my 17 years so far

Pros

Leave you alone and let you make your money.

Cons

When coming off home time, it takes a week or so to get really rolling in the system again.

Easy job, no career path (Terminal employee for Prime Floral division)

Current Employee - Prime Associate  in  Pierson, FL
    Current Employee - Prime Associate in Pierson, FL

Pros

Benefits: Health/Life insurance and 401k options are very generous for Prime employees
    Low Pressure Environment: Even as a psuedo-manager I hardly interacted with my supervisors
    Flexible scheduling (non-holiday): Everyone is happy ro work with you when it comes to work/life balance unless its holiday
    Very easy work: After a 4 or 5 months even with no prior work experience you can do everything by yourself

Cons

Leadership: there is none; no trust between terminal mangers and Springfield, no authority for terminal operators, vision for company is clouded and confused, all decisions are knee-jerks not based on evidence or information
    Growth opportunities: They don't exist, there is literally nowhere to go unless someone above you quits or dies, and if either happens you get more responsibility with no extra compensation (aggressive salary negotiation when starting is a MUST)
    Compensation: Base salary is ok but the 'incentive' portion of your pay is completely non-transparent and fluctuates wildly. After asking around even people above me with years at the company don't know how it is calculated. It essentially acts as a cookie jar for management to reach into when they need cash to pay for something
    No challenge offered: If you can read and pay attention at the same time you will be bored out of your mind after 4-5 months on the job. Repetitive, simple, under-worked during non-peak periods. Bring a book.
    Rush periods: You will have no life or contact outside of work for 4 weeks out of the year. Period.

Great Starter Trucking Company

Current Employee - OTR  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - OTR in Springfield, MO

Pros

Went through there truck Driving training it is a great program better than most other company sponsored training, if you do what your told you are left alone by dispatch avg miles 2200-2800 per week

Cons

Slow trucks 58-62 mph but I don't pay for the fuel, minimum 21 days out and 3 days home, no dedicated routes in my home area

10-14 days out 2 days home, trucks should run 65mph can be hazard on the road to other trucks and cars

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No major complaints, thinking of returning.

Former Employee - Driver  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Driver in Springfield, MO

Pros

I earned my CDL through Prime, and drove team for a year afterward. It was a positive experience because I went in knowing what I was getting into. Yes, you will be gone from home. Yes, it's a lifestyle, but if you enjoy the job then a paycheck is just a bonus.

Cons

My one complaint is that I had a horrible trainer, and she tried to get me kicked out of the program a few times. Luckily, other trainers stood up for me and picked up her slack.

Allow company drivers more than 4 days off in a row without turning in the truck.

Was excellent training.

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Springfield, MO

Pros

Getting to travel the USA and get paid for it

Cons

Minimum home time every 10 to 13 wks. Out.

Try to get family drivers home more to see the wife and children, with out cutting pay.

Prime a great atmosphere to work in.

Current Employee - Class A Lead Seat/Trainer/Instructor  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Class A Lead Seat/Trainer/Instructor in Springfield, MO

Pros

Treated like family, great pay, state of the art equipment, time off with family

Cons

I tried hard to find negative about prime. Perhaps they need Moore dispatchers to lighten the load on response times with drivers

Keep up the good work

lease owner/trainer/instructor/company driver reefer

Pros

good pay 425cpm,truck and trailer are fairly new plenty of freight

Cons

no hometime 3 weeks min for 3 days off 4 days off max! health benefits are high

Very high pressure environment.

Pros

Nice facilities at their headquarters in Springfield, MO. Long hours for the dispatchers.

Cons

They were more concerned about pointing blame for a service failure than figuring out how to fix the problem.

Decent Company, Always treated with respect.

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

Pros

I was always treated with respect here, even when I messed up on a delivery time. I never had a problem getting my truck fixed when I needed to. Always paid on time and if I needed to get an advance there was never any question about it.

Cons

They promote getting you to one of their shops to save money but the shop in Springfield is always back-logged. Hometime could have been better but hard to do when your truck payment is so high.

Find a "middle ground" with lease payments. It's hard to want to take home time when the lease payment is so high... or add a program so that after your lease is over you have enough to switch to the buy option...and include that into the lease price.

Great for Beginners

Former Employee - Lease Operator  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Lease Operator in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great training, support, equipment, facilities, income, safety oriented. New drivers are trained and treated very well. You can come flat out broke with no other options and be trained, fed and housed for a well paying career.

Cons

Too much time away from home, health insurance is sky high! Drivers have to be on the road for two many weeks to make good money. Great place for newbies, road warriors, family teams. But not so much for families with children.

Find a way to get drivers home more without killing their paycheck.

Worked for Prime? Contribute to the Community!