PrimeSource Building Products

Mona Zinman and Ken Fishbein

Micromanaged not appreciated

Former Employee - ISSM in North East, PA
    Former Employee - ISSM in North East, PA

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Friendly people to work with

Cons

Upper management could care less about you. Long hours low pay

Respect and value employee contribution

My review

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Extensive and broad based product offering.

Cons

Aggressive, arrogant upper managemanet culture.

Traet employess with more dignity and be collaborative.

At a crossroads...

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PrimeSource is a huge company. Your paycheck will always come on time and if your supervisors buy into your vision, you will always have the capitol to take action. We have the ability to hold huge amounts of inventory and make big investments in growth and people. When your manager supports you, that is a great place to be. For those willing to relocate, there are many opportunities to move up and grow.

Cons

Some managers at the regional level and VP level are ineffective and they push the blame for their failures down the chain of command. Some of these people are incredibly abusive and despite multiple complaints, nothing is ever done. Outright conflict between departments seems to be encouraged. Lots of finger pointing. Busy work has become an epidemic.

With new CEOs, there is a real opportunity to make positive change in the company. Soliciting feedback from the field is a great start. That is where the rubber meets the road. Beyond that, they need to get the corporate teams to work with the branches instead of always just pointing the finger at them for their failures and vice versa. They need to look at those mid level managers and come to the conclusion that if they are turning over a high percentage of branch managers, sales managers, ops managers, and sales people, then perhaps the VP is the problem. A bad manager can undermine a whole department or region.

Worst job experience of my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, growing company with good benefits. Each of their 38 distribution centers was a separate profit center (which is both good and bad). Corporate Headquarters in Dallas. Unofficial second Corporate Headquarters in Buffalo Grove (Chicago DC). Great employees. Building materials industry.

Cons

No advancement opportunities in the department I worked for. Advancement opportunities within the company were limited to those willing to relocate. The job turned out to be considerably different than the job description. The VP of the department treated us as "hired help" not as team members. Immediate supervisor was new to the position and was a micro-manager more interested in her career than those working under her. Overworked, with unreasonable deadlines. Overtime for tradeshows and over weekends was not compensated.

The business model for this department needs to be changed in order to eliminate the constant employee turnover.

Great Environment.. not great pay.

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My boss and co-workers are awesome, they make this job worth it.
    Everyday is different, so work doesn't get stagnant.

Cons

Low pay
    Hard to move up

Employees are not valued

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, attractive work environment

Cons

Office culture, compensation, leadership, work life balance

Absolutely no employee appreciation

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly above average for merchandising work. Flexible start time 6-8 am. Work independently and make your own schedule.

Cons

The job quality has gone down hill drastically in the last few years. Expect to me micro-managed remotely via tablet and be held responsible for electronic malfunctions. Expect for your workload to be tripled with projects but allowed no extra time to complete them along with your regular work. There is no employee appreciation what so ever and the upper management of the merchandising program is the worst manager I have ever encountered in the 10 years I have worked merchandising. There is no respect for merchandisers in the field and you are often expected to do things like take pictures of store employees durning projects that makes your stores feel as though your manager is questioning your work. The benefits are the worst I have ever encountered in a fully benefited job including almost no PTO as accrued time is expected to be used as sick, personal, and vacation and is less than 1 day a month accrual. You are expected to travel off the clock at the start and end of the day and stores can be upwards of 2-3 hours from your home. Constantly taking away merchandisers benefits such as paid time and schedule flexibility to cut costs despite consistently being told how thriving the company is.

Reevaluate where you cut costs and realize that happy employees equal long term employees which saves you money and resources. Listen to your employees in the field and stop making decisions from the corporate office that negatively impact your account relationships.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Buyer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Buyer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people at the local distribution centers.

Cons

No communication, too many des ions made at the corporate level that end handcuffing employees at the local level.

Allow employees to actually do the jobs that they were hired to do.

Want a job...look elsewhere!

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time

Pros

Based only on an hourly merchandising position you have a good schedule of working M-F with a somewhat flexible start time of 6-8 am. The 401k benefit is actually one of the best I have seen.

Cons

I have been with this company over 5 years with over 10 years of relevant experience. With this company I have never received a bonus, the pay rate is low for the amount of work you do, the pay raises are the lowest raises I personally ever received including high school jobs. One year we had a conference call on the status of the company, we were told that everyone else was laying off people but we had all time record high profits. 2 weeks later at review time we were told we should be lucky we are getting raises in a bad economy. We were just told about record high profits yet still received record low raises. You can volunteer for special projects or resets and you wont get OT. The company will tell you to cut the time. Really have zero incentive programs at all. Yes you have room for advancement if youre willing to move or give up your family. I turned down a promotion because the pay was incredibly insufficient. Very often you will end up working off the clock doing things like handling tech issues with devices we use or responding to emails, printing things off etc. Often times you will use your personal computer, printer, paper, ink, cell phone, and tools but the company will not reimburse you. Its now company policy that they will not pay you anything for extended commute times. So if you drive 2 hours one way your pay doesnt begin until you arrive and your pay will end once you leave for the day with a 2 hour drive back. This means you drove 4 hours commute time but will not get paid for any of it. You will get paid your mileage which is paid for the use of your vehicle but you will not be paid for your time. As a merchandiser you can expect covert spying type activities from management. I understand the need to check employees work and the need to manage but why spy? Its a childish way to handle grown working adults. As a merchandiser you typically work alone without much interaction from the company itself. I would think that instead of spying on employees that this time could be used for hands on face to face interaction. Training is practically non existent. Everything I know about the company product line or uses I learned on my own. Only reason I am still with the company is work in my area is tough to find.

Money talks. Incentives work. Thank yous are nice but they dont pay the bills. Actual hands on product knowledge training would be helpful. Shore up all the loose ends forcing employees to work off the clock.

In disbelief of the negative reviews - please take them with a grain of salt!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

If you prove yourself capable my manager will not micro-manage you. My manager also tries to maintain variety in whats assigned to us so that we do no burn out. In my department we regularly work with our manager's boss and other directors allowing us to build relationships with people who we could potentially be working alongside if any of us were to earn a promotion.

Cons

Cross-department work is sometimes difficult because some people can be defensive & protective of their work and territorial of what they believe to be something only they can do.

Make sure whoever you hire cares about not only their performance but also about bettering the company.

PrimeSource Building Products Photos