PrimeSource Building Products

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mona Zinman and Ken Fishbein

In disbelief of the negative reviews - please take them with a grain of salt!

Irving, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you prove yourself capable my manager will not micro-manage you. My manager also tries to maintain variety in whats assigned to us so that we do no burn out. In my department we regularly work with our manager's boss and other directors allowing us to build relationships with people who we could potentially be working alongside if any of us were to earn a promotion.

ConsCross-department work is sometimes difficult because some people can be defensive & protective of their work and territorial of what they believe to be something only they can do.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure whoever you hire cares about not only their performance but also about bettering the company.

Absolutely no employee appreciation

Merchandiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay is slightly above average for merchandising work. Flexible start time 6-8 am. Work independently and make your own schedule.

ConsThe job quality has gone down hill drastically in the last few years. Expect to me micro-managed remotely via tablet and be held responsible for electronic malfunctions. Expect for your workload to be tripled with projects but allowed no extra time to complete them along with your regular work. There is no employee appreciation what so ever and the upper management of the merchandising program is the worst manager I have ever encountered in the 10 years I have worked merchandising. There is no respect for merchandisers in the field and you are often expected to do things like take pictures of store employees durning projects that makes your stores feel as though your manager is questioning your work. The benefits are the worst I have ever encountered in a fully benefited job including almost no PTO as accrued time is expected to be used as sick, personal, and vacation and is less than 1 day a month accrual. You are expected to travel off the clock at the start and end of the day and stores can be upwards of 2-3 hours from your home. Constantly taking away merchandisers benefits such as paid time and schedule flexibility to cut costs despite consistently being told how thriving the company is.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate where you cut costs and realize that happy employees equal long term employees which saves you money and resources. Listen to your employees in the field and stop making decisions from the corporate office that negatively impact your account relationships.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Frustrating

Buyer (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood people at the local distribution centers.

ConsNo communication, too many des ions made at the corporate level that end handcuffing employees at the local level.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to actually do the jobs that they were hired to do.

Want a job...look elsewhere!

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time

ProsBased only on an hourly merchandising position you have a good schedule of working M-F with a somewhat flexible start time of 6-8 am. The 401k benefit is actually one of the best I have seen.

ConsI have been with this company over 5 years with over 10 years of relevant experience. With this company I have never received a bonus, the pay rate is low for the amount of work you do, the pay raises are the lowest raises I personally ever received including high school jobs. One year we had a conference call on the status of the company, we were told that everyone else was laying off people but we had all time record high profits. 2 weeks later at review time we were told we should be lucky we are getting raises in a bad economy. We were just told about record high profits yet still received record low raises. You can volunteer for special projects or resets and you wont get OT. The company will tell you to cut the time. Really have zero incentive programs at all. Yes you have room for advancement if youre willing to move or give up your family. I turned down a promotion because the pay was incredibly insufficient. Very often you will end up working off the clock doing things like handling tech issues with devices we use or responding to emails, printing things off etc. Often times you will use your personal computer, printer, paper, ink, cell phone, and tools but the company will not reimburse you. Its now company policy that they will not pay you anything for extended commute times. So if you drive 2 hours one way your pay doesnt begin until you arrive and your pay will end once you leave for the day with a 2 hour drive back. This means you drove 4 hours commute time but will not get paid for any of it. You will get paid your mileage which is paid for the use of your vehicle but you will not be paid for your time. As a merchandiser you can expect covert spying type activities from management. I understand the need to check employees work and the need to manage but why spy? Its a childish way to handle grown working adults. As a merchandiser you typically work alone without much interaction from the company itself. I would think that instead of spying on employees that this time could be used for hands on face to face interaction. Training is practically non existent. Everything I know about the company product line or uses I learned on my own. Only reason I am still with the company is work in my area is tough to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney talks. Incentives work. Thank yous are nice but they dont pay the bills. Actual hands on product knowledge training would be helpful. Shore up all the loose ends forcing employees to work off the clock.

Professional and enjoyable experience.

Merchandiser (Current Employee)

ProsManagers keep people in the loop with whatever knowledge they could share. They were always willing to listen to employees and acknowledge their input and efforts. First level managers most always communicate expectations, results and plans.

ConsNot all that much. No place is entirely perfect.

Good things come to the dedictated

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products for more than 3 years

ProsFast pace ....hard & quality work will definately be recognized and recognized quickly. If the quality of your work and and your contributions go beyond the norm , your opportunities for advancement will come "sooner rather than latter".

ConsSome expected growing pains as the companies own success & growth has resulted in more employees to communicate with each day .

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep on steering the ship in the right direction thru these difficult economic times.

disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products

Proscompany has great products and the infastructure to be dominent in the market. continuous stream of new products are available each season to sell.

ConsLack of leadership from senior management. The senior management group lacks the experience and vision to allow employees to grow the business locally. Management has a one size fits all attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the employees and local management to make decisions. Support the team and stop the constant instability to the operation.

Difficult place to work

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products

ProsThe company is a hard driving culture that will benefit people who are driven to succeed. Very lean company with many product categories to sell.

ConsManagement is incompetent, if you are a friend or family, you are in the club. Management is more concerned with having a good time at a social function than improving a process or developing a solid selling platform.

The company focuses on nails and screws and gives little attention to other products but expects them to be sold. This is a dying business strategy, customers are either going out of business or being consolidated, if it were not for the high margins they make on Big Box Chains, the company would be a fraction of what is is today.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!

Prime Source Building Products - A pretty terrible place to work

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Rogers, MN

I worked at PrimeSource Building Products

ProsFound a couple co workers who were willing to help. Unfortunately, most of the people had high levels of apathy so they weren't much help. Decent product offerings. Decent stock levels depending on the time of year.

ConsToo many to list. Long days, low pay. Tons of pressure of management. Many levels of management. Many different departments. Very little relevant communication yet you are slammed with internal email/memos. Incompetent management. Terrible operations staff. Lazy, unmotivated people galore. Culture of group think. Negative atmosphere. Stinky, disgusting office/warehouse setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the many layers of management. Trust your staff. Respect your employees. Train people properly. Pat people on the back once in a while. Show some respect. Realize people have lives/families.

Not perfect but honestly a great place to work if you have the right attitude!

I have been working at PrimeSource Building Products full-time

ProsI have been working for PrimeSource for a few years now and feel like the reviews here do not do this company justice. While I can only speak for my own experience at the location I work at, I have seen PrimeSource make progress in a lot of things like recognition and internal promotion and opportunities.
Their manager trainee program is great and takes recent college graduates, like I was, and provides a comprehensive training program that makes you feel like you are one of the team already. I was lucky enough to land a job at PrimeSource right out of college and have learned a lot by holding different positions and I was even promoted after only a year! I'm not going to lie, I worked myself to the bone that year but nothing is more fulfilling than being recognized for your hard work by being offered a promotion.

If you come into the job with ambition, dedication, and drive to push yourself in your own growth and skill then you will be satisfied. If you come into the job feeling entitled to immediate recognition or promotion then you will be dissatisfied (I have seen coworkers with this ugly "entitled" attitude come and go, usually quitting after being frustrated with not being coddled and praised every day.)

While I don't think all of the negative reviews here are invalid since everyone's experience is unique, I also know that on any review site there's a statistically-proven fact more people will write negative reviews than positives, and that sometimes a disgruntled employee can only write from their own perspective which may be unfair to the overall situation.

I wanted to only give 4.5 stars, since PrimeSource isn't perfect yet (but I hope that it will get there, especially in technology instead of paperwork), but ended up rounding up to 5 on behalf of non-disgruntled employees who have not had the impetus to write a positive review here yet.

ConsThis company somewhat behind the times in technology. I read in a company newsletter that they were going to improve on that aspect but I haven't seen any major strides towards this but I hope that they are working on it. What we do on a daily basis could be more efficient if we utilized technology.

Benefits aren't perfect: it would be great if they could offer a HSA % contribution match to make up for the higher medical costs nowadays. Either more paid time off, flexible workweek, or a telecommuting program would be appreciated.

Varying manager quality: Like with any other job, your experience will be largely based on your direct manager(s). I am fortunate to have a great manager who sincerely takes interest in my professional growth and has consistently recognized my hard work. I cannot speak for other locations or other managers, and have heard that sometimes managers can be sales/profit-focused so much that they might neglect worker relations and recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology is key to relevancy and efficiency. Invest in keeping up with the times before we are left behind! Also encourage your middle managers to value their employees so that everyone receives the same treatment and those possible great-hires in each location aren't passed up for promotions.

Worked for PrimeSource Building Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PrimeSource Building Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PrimeSource Building Products CEO Mona Zinman and Ken Fishbein. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by PrimeSource Building Products employees.