Primerica Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
332 reviews filtered by
3.9
Primerica Co-CEO and Director and Chairman, Primerica Distribution John A. Addison Jr.
John A. Addison Jr.

Pros
  • And the ability to own your own business, and unlimited income potential and passive income (in 13 reviews)

• Yes it is part time for the most part, but that makes the process even better (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission based, there is no salary which means that there is no cap on your income (in 12 reviews)

• use of your warm market will be based on your reputation (in 11 reviews)

1. Division Representative

Current Employee - Division Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Division Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Primerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good money, license paid, investments, help and educate families.

Cons

Multilevel Marketing Business, expensive, not stable clientele.

2. Financial Representative

I have been working at Primerica part-time

Pros

Pay based on your effort

Cons

No set salary. Pay is all commission

3. Sales Rep

I have been working at Primerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited potential, and you can start making good money fairly quickly (projections for those who follow the system and work hard are 6 figures within 18-24 months).

The company is not only legal, but it is ethical. They do what's right for the consumer.

It's for those who have been disenchanted with corporate America and its 9-5 jobs, and would like to own their own business.

Almost no overhead expenses.

They pay for your licensing.

No glass ceiling! Anyone can make it regardless of race or sex.

Have an opportunity to own a business that runs itself one day.

Cons

Many people are not mentally tough enough for this business. It's not a get-rich-quick scheme, and most people will flunk out when they realize that. This is not for people who just want to "get by" on minimal effort.

5. District Manager

Current Employee - Lou in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Lou in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Primerica

Pros

Great company! Builds character and leadership skills

Cons

have to be a self starter and mentally tough

6. Good Opportunity for stay at home moms with busy schedules

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Primerica

Pros

Flexible, Unlimited income potential, Could be awesome if you put your time and effort into it.

Cons

100% commission, No base salary, No benefits

Advice to Management

Less pressure on recruiting would help the company look less shady.

7. Helping families to gain their financial freedom back by getting them out of debt, and helping them with their finances.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Primerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping others and getting well-paid to do so! What more can you ask for? Paid Vacations, and great pay outs, amazing!

Cons

Only con is starting up, and building a team and clientele list. Other than that, only way is up from there!

Advice to Management

Start marketing! America needs this!

It is not what i thought

Current Employee - District Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Primerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was able to get my insurance license and my series 6,63

Cons

No training from leaders, besides cold calls they don't show you how to get good leads.

9. Need a savings and a lot of patience to succeed!

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Primerica

Pros

Positive reinforcements, positive emails and quotes and a coach to help you (somewhat) so you don't fall flat on your face. Training is good because the trainer will help you pass the exam only if you study and do the homework. However, the online practice tests and to track your commissions, cost a fee ($25/mo).

Cons

Compensation structure is definitely low for the industry. When starting out, you must have a full time job doing something else before diving in both feet first. Your RVP may make around six figures (or over in most cases) but they have been at their position for a minimum of 6-10 years before reaching that income potential. Prior to that, they were barely making it. They either had a spouse who worked full time and was the main breadwinner or, were single without a lot of bills to worry about. Starting at first, you can have the potential of making $1000/mo but that is a lot more blood, sweat and tears to bargain for. After training, you have the potential to make a $500 quick start bonus. That allows your up-line sponsor to ride with you while working your "warm" leads. You must devise a list of "qualified" families who would take advantage of the Primerica suite (i.e. Life and auto insurance, and debt watchers). You cannot work that list until you are fully licensed in life insurance (sometimes life and casualty (auto)). Until that point, your up-line sponsor is working the list and getting the commissions. Basically, to you, your lead list is "warm" but to your up-line sponsor, it is "hot". If you do not mind having someone work off your leads until you are licensed, then this may be the thing for you. If you are male and married, I have advice for you...If your wife does not have the following conditions, Primerica may work for you in the long run: Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, ADD, Bipolar Disorder, Mood Swings, Emotional breakdowns or any other mental condition. You may laugh but your wife would appreciate you more if you did not work yourself to the bone making poverty level income for 1-5 years.

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary (seeing this is 100% sales) and stop throwing the lofty dream of being a business owner (when you are still working for the man and a brand). Being a business owner is one of two things: Owning a business as a sole proprietor and or LLC, or owning a franchise. Either or. Not a MLM style business where the person on top gets the income while the guys on the bottom starve for 1-5 years before making a decent living. When it is too good to be true, it normally is!

10. My experience has been decent; however, opportunities for advancement into managerial positions are limited.

Current Employee - Trade Principal in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Trade Principal in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Primerica

Pros

The benefits are really good. You're fully vested from day one. Not many places offer 17 days of vacation, 6 sick days, 1 volunteer day that can be used from day one.

Cons

I find nepotism to be used more than selecting the "best candidate for the job" formula. No enough diversity in management.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect between those of us who perform daily tasks and those in offices. The gap should be bridged when developing job specific criteria.

11. Love It Licensed within 3 weeks, trained 3 more, company reimbursed all fees, making $4-600 month. No recruiting req.

I have been working at Primerica

Pros

Recently awarded most innovative products by Best Review because leadership always looking for best to offer middle America while ALTERNATIVE WALL ST. FIRMS don't often offer products targeted for middle America. Our target market are the folks Wall Street forgets! Love educational approach. Rarely selling on first visit, instead educating clients first visit and being invited back IF client wishes. Company motto is to look for ways to save client on debt consolidation, replace outdated insurance products and move all the savings into much needed retirement accounts. Love showing clients that not ALL 401k are alike, how various college Ed programs are better than others and doing most of this with NO NEW MONEY. Unlike MLM Or ANY sales firms we rarely ask client to put out MORE $$$$...all reps are state and fed licensed ( like real estate brokers), we work out of offices ( like real estate reps) and we don't sell "sale so" packages to New Recruits like some MLM's. Compensation is bases on productivity buy unlike MLM' s our average sale is $800 using NO NEW MONEY while very few clients buy $800 of cosmetics and If they did its money that should be saved for retirement NOT spent on depreciating assets. You DO NOT have to recruit as I do not to ear commissions on client business but you can build a sales team (similar to real restate broker) but like real estate only make override when your trained agents properly sell a valid item. Option to have a company website and significant Morningstar discount offered for $ 25.00 a month (extremely small $ 300 annual fee vs $1000 errors n ommissions many real estate offices require you pay ( ps, Primerica covers that too free). Scam? Well as you know hundreds of websites claim we never went to the moon or the holocaust never occurred so please consider your source!! Better yet look at things for yourself and take the time to fully research good and bad before making a decision that might change your finances for the better. Lastly many companies recruit and make money on the efforts of those recruits. Your company hired you and your manager makes a higher income than you, while the owner makes a ton on ALL of you. Doesn't make it a scam does it. A pyramid by the way is a company that takes money from you and promised you will make money by getting others to give THEIR money and promised that everyone will make money ( and many early birds actually will). There will be NO product being sold. This is illegal. This is what Bernie Madoff got lots of veyy smart people to do because they were all promised 39-40% returns which were believable because he did give these returns to the early birds in order to entice the rest. You may nor like selling Avon, or Mary Kay nor even like that they ask you to recruit to override your reps BUT they are not illegal pyramid scams ...and you do not have to recruit with them, real estate, or Primerica to sell a products and make a commission. You should look long and hard at any business opportunity and learn ALL you can and if it's NOT for you that doesn't mean it's a bad company or business. ( seek cons)

Cons

You will have to take the time to learn the business, Just like taking a college course you have to give this a certain amount of undivided time and attention to succeed. I knew plenty of folks (kids and adults) who would sign up for a course then put few hours to study THEN fail and blame the teachers, the course, for the school. anyone willing to study and put the time and effort into this OR any business they want will have success eventually. For MANY nth at is a big con because it's not quick and it's not easy. Looking for Easy? Not sure where to send you. Working part time retail? Not easy? Open your own part- time cleaning business? Not easy...Working a full time corporate job - not easy? Not sure there is any "job" whether legal or illegal that is easy!!! For me the pros of making the money I make here far outweighed working at my local retail or fast food part time AND here I have the chance to get better and maybe (maybe) go into a management track where I anticipate running into another set of "cons"" which I will have to weight when that time comes. All in all for the RIGHT person you cannot beat this opportunity.

Advice to Management

I hear new people saying that the POL site is complicated and difficult to maneuver around. Would you consider offering a video just on learning the site especially geared to those not tech savvy and/ our over 50 crow?

Primerica Photos