Primitive Logic Reviews

1. Nice to work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Primitive Logic

Pros

Nice people to work with. Excellent camaraderie among peers.

Cons

Not up to par with market pay packages. Health benefits could be much better.

2. As one of the few undergraduate hires in PL’s history, it’s hard to imagine a better place to start my career.

I have been working at Primitive Logic

Pros

In contrast to some of the larger consulting firms, Primitive Logic boasts a supportive, team-oriented group of employees spread between San Francisco (HQ), Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Arizona – all fun places to be on a project. The majority of employees have been in their industry 10+ years, including Oracle, Salesforce, and Birst experts. Over the years, PL has done a great job recruiting good people and retaining top talent. After celebrating our 30th Anniversary last year, there is a sense of excitement as the company continues to experience exponential growth.

After I was hired, PL exposed me to a wide variety of projects and made a conscious effort to find an opportunity that matched both my skill set and career interests. My managers have always found a healthy balance of putting me in a position to succeed while presenting challenges and opportunities for growth on a regular basis. That’s all a young kid fresh out of college – or really anyone – could ask for. Every project isn’t created equal. It’s not all gravy, but at the end of the day that’s the nature of consulting – work hard and you will be rewarded.

I am proud to be a part of this team, and highly recommend motivated individuals join us at the forefront of business technology and strategy.

Cons

- Limited organized gatherings and opportunities to spend time with coworkers outside the office due to travel requirements
    - Coffee machine is old school

Advice to Management

A handful of Glassdoor reviewers seem to enjoy picking on management. Since I’ve been here, albeit a short time, our CEO and VPs have demonstrated a genuine effort to increase transparency and communication (weekly internal email, internal company surveys, monthly lunch and learns, Monday group coffee breaks, etc.). I have personal connections with these people, and tremendous confidence in their ability to grow and manage our company. To those concerned with a cloud of uncertainty surrounding our strategy, understand we’ve immersed ourselves in an ever-changing technological landscape that inevitably requires us to adapt and change directions. This ability to evolve is what makes us unique and successful.

Great place for mediocrity, hating life, and seeing the joy squeezed out of you!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Architect/Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Architect/Developer

I worked at Primitive Logic full-time

Pros

There are a few employees that know what they're doing, but not enough to lead or offset the number of remaining inept and disgruntled employees.

Cons

Easily one of the worst companies I have ever worked for!

Don't be fooled by anyone's claims of being a "Best Place to Work" in the Bay Area - especially Primitive Logic. Those results are calculated from the response rate and ratings received from employees. And as other reviewers of this company attest, there is nothing to prevent management from pressuring employees to respond favorably (in fact, it's easier for a small company). Other reasons to dismiss these lists entirely? Comcast is #3 in San Francisco Business Times's 2014 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area. Really?!

I would also confirm your worst fears - that the other negative reviewers are not just a few disgruntled employees. They are spot on:
    * The true focus of the company was to make as much money as possible for VPs and above while paying regular employees as little as necessary.
    * The policy was also "no sick leave - forced to use PTO" when I worked here. There is probably no better indication that you do not value your employees than not giving your employees the time off that they need to recharge and stay healthy. Thankfully, California's mandatory sick leave law effective 1/1/2015 may finally put an end to this disgraceful practice at Primitive Logic.
    * There was no depth or breadth to their client base. During my tenure, there was only 1 main client. When that client folded and they were unsuccessful in selling new work, lots of employees were laid off.
    * While it may be true (as commented by other reviewers) that Primitive Logic's sales and business development is abysmal at generating new business, I wouldn't necessarily blame the sales team because it's really hard to sell mediocrity.
    * The projects were not exciting, innovative, or fun. Instead, it seems that Primitive Logic was awarded a few undesirable, low-visibility projects due to pre-existing relationships. Definitely a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours environment both internally and externally.
    * The technical ability of most employees was little to nonexistent. Many of them had no experience in the technology or even programming language they were using, much less any chance at producing quality and elegant design.
    * Definitely a little fish trying to act big in a large ocean. Trying to vaunt technical expertise and certifications like they can solve big problems, but the largest system they worked on while I was there had at most 5-10 concurrent users. Small fish in a big ocean.

Advice to Management

Offering advice about how to right Primitive Logic would be like offering advice to a house cat about how to push an ox cart uphill.

5. Great place.

I have been working at Primitive Logic

Pros

A fair degree of self-guided employment. Management is open to new ideas and pursuits. Flexible hours. Management really cares about employees.

Cons

Lack of a firm company direction. They're growing, but to where? Office is a difficult layout. Employees are spread out all over the USA, with two large groups in the SF Bay Area and LA area.

Advice to Management

Communicate direction to the staff. Let us know where this ship is headed.

Loyalty and Hard Work Will Be Rewarded

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Primitive Logic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top notch co-workers, Management that is very capable and flexible, Personal needs almost always met if reasonable, interesting projects, great clients, friendly environment, culture of meritocracy

Cons

Consulting in general expects heavy workloads and hours, rate expectations are high, utilization is high so bench can be thin when resources are needed.

Advice to Management

Continue with incentive-based plans for sales representatives, find additional ways to form unified culture across disparate projects and technical/functional fields,

Amazing Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Primitive Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Primitive Logic is the smallest company I have worked for, however it is my favorite. Big doesn't allows mean better. The management team is very approachable and it is evident that they care about the people. We have an amazing work-life-balance which means I am more productive and a happier person when I am in the office. It is an entrepreneurial environment which allows you to try on many hats and own your career growth. I would highly recommend working for Primitive Logic.

Cons

We are becoming more national, therefore it is hard to have a lot of company-wide team building events.

Open to Employee Ideas

I have been working at Primitive Logic

Pros

Plenty of autonomy with minimal micromanaging.The company is growing and management wants to hear from employees. There's lots of opportunity to do things outside of your job description and get involved in company operations and initiatives.

Cons

There's lots of opportunity for development, but you have to seek it out and be vocal about how you want to drive your career. Nobody is going to nag you to develop yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting employees and giving them the autonomy to do their jobs well

Great place to work complete with great people

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Primitive Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great clients to work with and great people. The company has grown a lot in the last couple of years and is heading in a great direction.

Cons

Since the company is so small it's hard to get into a management role; everyone has to be hands-on. The sales team is small and could be more effective; they are working on it though!

staff-aug focused small body shop with disconnected management

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Primitive Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- decent work/life balance
    - most projects are local and not don't require a lot of schedule
    - decent salary (though not very competitive given how hot the market and demand is for Salesforce talent)

le and skill sets, but it becomes a crazy scramble when they actually get awarded work.

Cons

- staffing model and how resources are matched to projects is haphazard rather than done with intention
    - placements on unrewarding projects that aren't a good fit or projects with little or no growth opportunity
    - staff-aug projects are the norm (rather than strategic roles/implementation projects)
    - absent CEO, disconnected management and nepotism
    - no real business development = fewer project opportunities, very few new clients, reliance on existing client base
    - below average PTO and insurance benefits and no 401k match

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Diversify beyond staff-augmentation roles and seek out and prioritize strategic projects for your people.

Great company, great people, great opportunities!

I have been working at Primitive Logic

Pros

It's a small company with a lot of talented people and a lot of opportunity for growth. The work-life balance is great as the company truly respects your personal schedule and management can be very flexible as long as you still meet your client commitments. You will get out what you put in at this company; if you are driven and ready to lead, learn, and then help, they are willing to train, guide and let your career take off in a way that will benefit the company as well as your career. Again, you get out what you put in; management is truly awesome if you can approach them professionally, not just whine to them and expect them to solve your problems.

Cons

Because the company is so small and has a lot of projects everyone is busy, especially the leadership team. In most cases, if you want "attention" from the leadership (for company growth reasons or for networking), you really have to reach out and ask for it. They will give it if you ask for it, but this can be seen as a con for new hires who are not as pro-active.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!!

RSS Feed </> Embed