Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

www.pgcps.org
Profile Unclaimed

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) Reviews in Lanham, MD

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
3.4

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) CEO Kevin M. Maxwell
Kevin M. Maxwell

Pros
  • Strong leadership, excellent training and professional development for teachers (in 6 reviews)

• sense of community, making a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • work, long hours, and time consuming (in 3 reviews)

• Anything involving the central office is paralyzing slow and mismanaged (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I enjoyed working with this employer as a teacher and seeing the progress of my students

Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with people who are team players. I liked how the District supported their teachers with professional development workshops and training for the core curriculum.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I really enjoyed working for this employer.

none

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- PGCPS invests a lot of money into Educational Technology. Teachers have county issued laptops and LCD projectors. Students and teachers have Google accounts. PGCPS is as prepared as they can be for online PARCC testing!

- Competitive pay (I have been teaching there for 9 years, and make over $57,000). Could be better, but not bad considering where the economy sits presently.

- PGCPS relies on their good teachers to share what they know with colleagues. It helps a lot to attend a presentation led by someone who has been in the classroom recently as opposed to someone 10+ years removed from the classroom.

Cons

- Aside from technology, other resources such as books are not readily available for students. Students often have to share resources.

- There seems to be a disconnect with what is expected with regards to Math. Tests put out by the math department do not always align with what we teach.

- The evaluation process for teachers is much improved, but at times seems a little strict. It is nice to have high expectations, but setting the bar too high demoralizes the employees.

- Take a look at softening up teacher evaluations. I understand that higher-ups want to weed out unqualified teachers, but don't take it too far to the extreme.

- Proofread assessments before sending them to schools! Typos and questions not aligned with what we teach happen too often...

Nice working environment with a lot of career opportunities

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the collaborative nature of some staff helps make the job enjoyeable

Cons

some staff do not fully fulfill job description pushing the work to the hard working ones