Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

www.pgcps.org
Profile Unclaimed

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) Reviews

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.8

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) CEO Kevin M. Maxwell
Kevin M. Maxwell

Pros
  • Strong leadership, excellent training and professional development for teachers (in 6 reviews)

• sense of community, making a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • work, long hours, and time consuming (in 3 reviews)

• Anything involving the central office is paralyzing slow and mismanaged (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed working with this employer as a teacher and seeing the progress of my students

Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Lanham, MD

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with people who are team players. I liked how the District supported their teachers with professional development workshops and training for the core curriculum.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I really enjoyed working for this employer.

none

N/A

Former Employee - Clerk in Landover Hills, MD
    Former Employee - Clerk in Landover Hills, MD

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

Pros

Good job. Benefits. Free parking. Free lunch.

Cons

The people can sometimes have bad attitudes.

good

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

Pros

it has very good pay benefits standing company values nice employees work with children one of the best school districts

Cons

it is not many bad things about prince georges county public schools besides the long hours other than that every thing was good

No Support

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros to this job. The only thing that comes to mind is the job stability and benefits package.

Cons

No Support at all. Every single planning period was taken up by professional development, ALL of my planning and grading had to be done at home.

If your going to take away all of our planning periods, at least make them useful.

Nepotism and too many initiative.

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my colleagues and my students. We are definitely a family.

Cons

Salary freeze (5 years) no COLA, too many initiatives and lack of resources to support.

I am very pleased to have the experience that I have with this company!

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the fact that we have the freedom of being out on the road and not necessarily have someone watching over you, all of the time.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the pro-rating issues, and also the union dues that we have to pay, whether we would like a part of the union, or not.

Please allow us to be able to choose whether we could be a part of the union or not.

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- PGCPS invests a lot of money into Educational Technology. Teachers have county issued laptops and LCD projectors. Students and teachers have Google accounts. PGCPS is as prepared as they can be for online PARCC testing!

- Competitive pay (I have been teaching there for 9 years, and make over $57,000). Could be better, but not bad considering where the economy sits presently.

- PGCPS relies on their good teachers to share what they know with colleagues. It helps a lot to attend a presentation led by someone who has been in the classroom recently as opposed to someone 10+ years removed from the classroom.

Cons

- Aside from technology, other resources such as books are not readily available for students. Students often have to share resources.

- There seems to be a disconnect with what is expected with regards to Math. Tests put out by the math department do not always align with what we teach.

- The evaluation process for teachers is much improved, but at times seems a little strict. It is nice to have high expectations, but setting the bar too high demoralizes the employees.

- Take a look at softening up teacher evaluations. I understand that higher-ups want to weed out unqualified teachers, but don't take it too far to the extreme.

- Proofread assessments before sending them to schools! Typos and questions not aligned with what we teach happen too often...

Interesting Work Environment

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

Pros

Laidback, some really passionate people about providing high quality education to our students. Great pay and benefits and other perks. Good work/life balance.

Cons

More people concerned about keeping their jobs than coming up with harder to implement solutions or solutions that would show that they havent been doing their job. Multiple personalities and egos, rarely found any that were good. All thought they were more significant than what they were and treated people accordingly.

Culture is the biggest problem. Many refuse to acknowledge the issues honestly resulting in the same things occurring repeatedly.

Leadership and change is necessary

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time

Pros

Veteran teachers I encountered were extremely committed to the schools and their colleagues' success.
    Healthy pay for a public school teacher in the DC area.

Cons

Unorganized school system which does little with the concerns of families, employees, and the children it serves.
    Work environment is highly dependent on the administration, which is often unprofessional on a good day and hostile on a bad.
    Too easy to get a job- the system has a reputation of putting unprepared personnel in administrative and classroom positions in desperation to fill jobs at particular schools. It's a disservice to the students and continues the cycle of high turnover.

basic school environment.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) as an intern

Pros

Generally laid back people, very kind teachers.

Cons

None to note, that I can recall.

None to note.