Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

www.pgcps.org

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) Reviews

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) CEO Kevin M. Maxwell
Kevin M. Maxwell

Pros
  • Strong leadership, excellent training and professional development for teachers (in 6 reviews)

• sense of community, making a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • work, long hours, and time consuming (in 3 reviews)

• Anything involving the central office is paralyzing slow and mismanaged (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nepotism and too many initiative.

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my colleagues and my students. We are definitely a family.

Cons

Salary freeze (5 years) no COLA, too many initiatives and lack of resources to support.

I am very pleased to have the experience that I have with this company!

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the fact that we have the freedom of being out on the road and not necessarily have someone watching over you, all of the time.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the pro-rating issues, and also the union dues that we have to pay, whether we would like a part of the union, or not.

Please allow us to be able to choose whether we could be a part of the union or not.

No Support

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros to this job. The only thing that comes to mind is the job stability and benefits package.

Cons

No Support at all. Every single planning period was taken up by professional development, ALL of my planning and grading had to be done at home.

If your going to take away all of our planning periods, at least make them useful.

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- PGCPS invests a lot of money into Educational Technology. Teachers have county issued laptops and LCD projectors. Students and teachers have Google accounts. PGCPS is as prepared as they can be for online PARCC testing!

- Competitive pay (I have been teaching there for 9 years, and make over $57,000). Could be better, but not bad considering where the economy sits presently.

- PGCPS relies on their good teachers to share what they know with colleagues. It helps a lot to attend a presentation led by someone who has been in the classroom recently as opposed to someone 10+ years removed from the classroom.

Cons

- Aside from technology, other resources such as books are not readily available for students. Students often have to share resources.

- There seems to be a disconnect with what is expected with regards to Math. Tests put out by the math department do not always align with what we teach.

- The evaluation process for teachers is much improved, but at times seems a little strict. It is nice to have high expectations, but setting the bar too high demoralizes the employees.

- Take a look at softening up teacher evaluations. I understand that higher-ups want to weed out unqualified teachers, but don't take it too far to the extreme.

- Proofread assessments before sending them to schools! Typos and questions not aligned with what we teach happen too often...

Interesting Work Environment

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

Pros

Laidback, some really passionate people about providing high quality education to our students. Great pay and benefits and other perks. Good work/life balance.

Cons

More people concerned about keeping their jobs than coming up with harder to implement solutions or solutions that would show that they havent been doing their job. Multiple personalities and egos, rarely found any that were good. All thought they were more significant than what they were and treated people accordingly.

Culture is the biggest problem. Many refuse to acknowledge the issues honestly resulting in the same things occurring repeatedly.

Leadership and change is necessary

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time

Pros

Veteran teachers I encountered were extremely committed to the schools and their colleagues' success.
    Healthy pay for a public school teacher in the DC area.

Cons

Unorganized school system which does little with the concerns of families, employees, and the children it serves.
    Work environment is highly dependent on the administration, which is often unprofessional on a good day and hostile on a bad.
    Too easy to get a job- the system has a reputation of putting unprepared personnel in administrative and classroom positions in desperation to fill jobs at particular schools. It's a disservice to the students and continues the cycle of high turnover.

basic school environment.

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) as an intern

Pros

Generally laid back people, very kind teachers.

Cons

None to note, that I can recall.

None to note.

Not for the faint of heart

Current Employee - Special Education Chair
    Current Employee - Special Education Chair

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-making a difference!
    -some great people
    -some useful systems
    -opportunity for growth and taking on new roles
    -student art in hallways

Cons

-lots of not great people
    -lots of troublesome systems
    -I know the school system is at the mercy of the government. But it's so so messy.

Unorganized

Pros

I love working with students to help them to achieve their goals against all odds as many students come from low income families. Coworkers make work tolerable.

Cons

PGCPS leadership is humiliating especially within human resources. After seeing the hiring process of coworkers first hand I am honestly embarrassed to admit that I live, received and education from, and live in this county. Communication is non-existent when questions are proposed to upper management.

I am relatively pleased with my job working as a bus driver for Prince George's County Public Schools.

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Bowie, MD

Pros

The best thing is the work schedule. Having summers off along with Spring and Christmas breaks allows me the freedom to have a real quality life with my family. I enjoy interacting with the students.
    I work a split shift which allows me to take care of business without having to take time off.
    PGCPS has excellent benefits.

Cons

The down side is that I think they could do a lot better with acknowledging and appreciating their employees.

Appreciate your employees. Acknowledge them when they do a good job. When approached about showing appreciation to employees a supervised stated that getting a pay check is enough. FALSE!
    Everyone deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated for a job well done. Your employees will be willing to help out when you're in a bind, which is quite often if they felt appreciated.