Prince William County Government

Prince William County Government Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great people, little room for advancement

ProsPeople, Environment, Commute, Benefits, Flexible Hours

ConsNo room for advancement
    Lower than average salaries
    No promotions - must re-apply for each position
    Tend to hire outside of the organization, rather than within

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great core of talented individuals that often get overlooked based on title. You would retain these employees if you offered promotions, or quantifiable ways to move ahead within the organization. This is offered for some positions , but not all.

Friends don't let friends work for Prince William County.

Community Inspector (Former Employee) Prince William, VA

ProsWorking there makes you appreciate the possibility of working somewhere else. The commute will not be bad. You will travel in the opposite direction of most of the traffic. If you live in the county you wouldn't have to drive far at all. You will be close to any restaurants. You will be close to the minor league baseball park. The best part of your day will be leaving. If you're lucky another employee will smile at you during the day. All of the public meetings are during the day, no night meetings. The restrooms are always clean. The building is generally nice.

ConsYou are disconnected with other departments with the county. Support from upper management is minimal to non-existent. Many times it felt as though you were working against them and that you could get fired at any moment for any reason. There were times when you would work on a case for months and upper management would let the person off the hook. The county itself is not very nice. I hated getting up in the morning knowing that I had to go to work there. I was stuck in a room with five other people and we were connected to the other employees within the department. It was as if we were being quaratined.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead everything written in both sections above particurly the downsides and adjust. You are disconnected with other departments with the county. Support from upper management is minimal to non-existent. Many times it felt as though you were working against them and that you could get fired at any moment for any reason. There were times when you would work on a case for months and upper management would let the person off the hook. The county itself is not very nice. I hated getting up in the morning knowing that I had to go to work there. I was stuck in a room with five other people and we were connected to the other employees within the department. It was as if we were being quaratined.

Worked for Prince William County Government? Contribute to the Community!