Prince William County Government

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Great organization to work for

I have been working at Prince William County Government full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

local government with a private operating mindset

Cons

need more flexibility re: flex-time, teleworking.

2. Great people, little room for advancement

I have been working at Prince William County Government full-time

Pros

People, Environment, Commute, Benefits, Flexible Hours

Cons

No room for advancement Lower than average salaries No promotions - must re-apply for each position Tend to hire outside of the organization, rather than within

Advice to Management

You have a great core of talented individuals that often get overlooked based on title. You would retain these employees if you offered promotions, or quantifiable ways to move ahead within the organization. This is offered for some positions , but not all.

3. Social Service Specialist

Current Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Prince William County Government (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good feeling to help other needy people to get assistance they qualified for.

Cons

You will face furious and angry people most of the time, some times people with mental disorder. You have to deal with them in nicely an professionally.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to handle the job, employees are overwhelmed.

5. Friends don't let friends work for Prince William County.

Former Employee - Community Inspector in Prince William, VA
    Former Employee - Community Inspector in Prince William, VA

Pros

Working there makes you appreciate the possibility of working somewhere else. The commute will not be bad. You will travel in the opposite direction of most of the traffic. If you live in the county you wouldn't have to drive far at all. You will be close to any restaurants. You will be close to the minor league baseball park. The best part of your day will be leaving. If you're lucky another employee will smile at you during the day. All of the public meetings are during the day, no night meetings. The restrooms are always clean. The building is generally nice.

Cons

Advice to Management

Read everything written in both sections above particurly the downsides and adjust. You are disconnected with other departments with the county. Support from upper management is minimal to non-existent. Many times it felt as though you were working against them and that you could get fired at any moment for any reason. There were times when you would work on a case for months and upper management would let the person off the hook. The county itself is not very nice. I hated getting up in the morning knowing that I had to go to work there. I was stuck in a room with five other people and we were connected to the other employees within the department. It was as if we were being quaratined.

RSS Feed </> Embed