Princess Auto

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Tallman

The work experience at princess auto was extremal rewarding.

Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Kingston, ON (Canada)

ProsThe Compensations was adequate and people were excellent , full benefits, and the customers were always friendly. The best part was the profit sharing within the company.

ConsThe leadership was new at the time and had a hard time sating focused on long-term goals, im sure by now they have this down pat. The only downside was the lack of availability to advance within the company. (due to a lack of opening positions)

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more work intensives, bonus, etc.

Will burn you out at the Ottawa store

Team Leader Trainee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsI loved working at Princess Auto for a long time. The team is fantastic for the most part. There is full benefits, and the pay is slightly higher than minimum wage at entry level positions. I love that they are Canadian owned. There are opportunities for advancement and training paid by the company.

ConsThe company values are fabulous in theory, but are not consistently put into action. You'll be asked to give a lot of yourself with little recognition. Even though you go above and beyond for them, there is very little leniency in terms of scheduling and time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistently enforce a team atmosphere by ensuring that all team members are helping each other rather than creating an atmosphere where team members only help out in their own sections.

Not a company for Part-time employment

Cash Team (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Pros*Great co-workers
    *Loyal customers
    *Easy going work environment

ConsAll management is not on the same page. Management is not around when you need them. Did not receive any training from day one--had to learn everything myself. Demands on open availability then receive few hours. Must be able to work each and every week-end which means no time for family or a life. Give you just enough hours to keep you from getting benefits. Will not let you have more that one job if you work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to start respecting your part-time employees especailly the cash team. They go thru alot for this company and get nothing for it. Realize that people have it hard now and need to find employment in more than one jobs. Don't push them out the door for wanting to survive work with them not against them. Get people in there that have management experience and knows what they are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid team

Prosreliable leaders and co-workers, nice working condition with casual air and motivated projects

Consa bit too relied on experience than expertise

Canadian owned

ProsGreat people, always interesting, profit sharing

ConsRaises are few and far between

Advice to Senior ManagementLooking after you people will help your bottom line

satisfied

Sales Team Member (Current Employee) Regina, SK (Canada)

Proslots to learn, good starting pay

Consirregular hours, more then 90 % turnover in regina store

Awful experience

Cash (Current Employee) Red Deer, AB (Canada)

ProsThe benefits are the only really good thing

ConsThe team leads in Red Deer are not concerned about the ppl. I was training with someone who doesn't speak or understand English well. Every time I needed him he was gone. I never trained consistently with one person so there is many mixed messages and many different ways to do something, which left me very confused about procedures. I am over 40 and was a consumer first before I worked here. The marketing of product was mindless, why would you carry hand cleaner with grease guns, yep as a woman that's where I am going to look. I was told that I would be able to work the floor, where I have the most experience. No, I made mistakes so I wasn't the right fit. They had no intention of putting me on the floor, where I know what a calliper is and where it is instead of sending them away. There was bulling among the cashiers, one example is I came on shift and before I could open my till two of the cashiers wanted me to read what another put on an incident sheet, they were making fun of how she worded it. I am a parent and a grandparent, they were being bullies and that's all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper mngmt? Clean house in you Red Deer store or you will never keep staff. There is no organization, they have 4 or 5 people training a new person. They are all so young they don't know the products or the applications they are used in. I have seen many guests turned away because the person they ask for a product doesn't know what it is, they say they don't carry it, or one time buy instead of investigating. The girls on till have stood across from each other and argued bitterly with each other in front of guests. Nothing was done, because the one girl drinks with some of the other team leads. What are the leads doing hanging out with the staff? Driving them to and from work. There needs to be a clear line. The person who trained me didn't speak or understand English very well. Everyone needs a place to work but to train and answer questions,, left me frustrated. I was told I could move to the floor,, that was never even attempted. Other places that value their workers would put you other places in the store to see if that was a better fit. O well I am not hopeful that anyone will even read this. I am over the age of 40 and as well as being a working stiff, I am a consumer my husband is a ticketed tradesman who owns his own contracting company.

Good philosophy, good people, poor planning and organization

Sales Team Member (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsTeam members seem to enjoy their job, and get along well.
    Enjoy doing fun team activities at work and out of work.
    Personable leadership team (mostly).

ConsPoor organization at head-office level.
    Incredible slow and unorganized stock (bad for ANY retailer)
    Old computer systems, very confusing to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money and improve the computer system (AS/400) and upgrade the stock systems so stores can bring more units in easily without waiting for head office!

once you stay long enough to receive profit sharing, you're likely to stay forever

Sales (Former Employee) Red Deer, AB (Canada)

ProsThey are a Canadian company, offer profit sharing, and free decent looking uniforms. There is always room to move up in the company and they pay for, and encourage, additional training. Probably the best retail can get.

ConsAnnoying customers -- the stores are large and customers (usually male) can be VERY NEEDY!!!!!!
    Answering the phone can send you in a million directions all at once.
    Management can hide in their office if they need a break, but regular employees are stuck on the front lines.

Change in senior management not for the better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfit sharing, good team, easy to coast if you want.

ConsLack of accountability and values from senior management, especially in retail and marketing. Lots of senior managers love to gossip and speak horrible things about people they call friends. Three years ago several new senior managers were brought in who did not and have not embraced the culture and values. People are afraid to lose their jobs from the culture of intimidation and fear that has been created.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house....anyone above director needs to go. Figure out a way to hold everyone in the organization accountable to the values.

Worked for Princess Auto? Contribute to the Community!