Princess Cruise Lines Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Jan Swartz

Pros
  • Working on a ship affords you the ability to see the world or at least parts of it depending on your job and schedule (in 6 reviews)

• They have a good work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is nice to have (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication needs improvement from upper management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, dorm style rooms, may be sharing with any age range (in 4 reviews)

1. Intern

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Good comp it was really fun to work there

Cons

Good Comp Good comp it was really fun to work there

2. Intern Princess Cruises

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Not really any cons that I can think of!

3. Food And Beverage

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful deck that overlooks the Kenai River. Gracious and uber friendly management staff

Cons

Difficult to get consistent days off due the nature of the work.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the employees are provided a confidential form to submit concerns

5. MBA Intern

Former Employee - MBA Summer Intern in Artesia, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Intern in Artesia, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great and very friendly. They are not cut-throat or very competitive, the team atmosphere is very congenial. If you work there for more than 6 months, you can get cruise benefits/discounts. They don't encourage working overtime, so you are expected to leave when it is time to leave and try to finish your work at the office instead of taking it home. Their location is next to a mall so there are a variety of food options for lunch. Most teams also offer a 9/80 schedule, so you can have 3-day weekends every other week which is great.

Cons

It can be kind of slow and quiet. The atmosphere is kind of like a government office sometimes. Pay is not the most lucrative (graduate student interns get paid $25/hr). It was not the most challenging or stimulating environment.

Advice to Management

I think the management is doing a good job, but I worry that Princess Cruises might fall behind the other cruise lines if it doesn't change its corporate culture so that it stimulates more innovation. Right now, it feels like it's too slow and people are complacent and you have a lot of people who have been working there for decades and have done the same if not similar jobs for most of the time. However, I love the time that senior management gives to employees. There's a good amount of face time, and I think that's great for building a close knit community.

6. Princess Cruises Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

Pros

Great internship experience, hands-on training and personal / professional development. Happy to find a paid internship for once as well.

Cons

There was not always enough work to be tackled by the interns, leaving a good amount of (boring) free time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with including your interns in your teams' activities and providing a great experience, but try to make sure there's enough for them to do.

7. Assistant Manager, Escorted Tour Operations

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is fairly flexible in day to day operations. Decent travel perks. A great manager. The business itself is fun and interesting.

Cons

Compensation should be more competitive. Culture is fairly stiff and corporate, not very relaxed. Not as much upward mobility potential as I would like as a young professional.

Advice to Management

More focus on teamwork and collaboration. Less emphasis on traditional corporate structure and consider the company as a whole, all employees included, not just upper management.

8. Great travel benefits low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel benefits amazing. Nice ships.

Cons

Low pay, IT reorg, poor management.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people to leadership roles because they have the most seniority.

9. Great Seasonal Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Train Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Seasonal Train Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Coworkers from all over Location - traveling throughout Alaska everyday Tips

Cons

Not a good life-work balance Low hourly wage

10. Good experience to have but I wouldn't want to stay longer.

Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK

Pros

I would say that if you have the opportunity and you're early on your carrier path, give it a try. I took it as a summer job and had a lot of fun. You will see some of the world and you will meet interesting people. Depending on your schedule you might spend most of the time onboard though ;) If you're looking to save money it's more than possible given that you don't have to worry about food and accomodation.

Cons

Be prepared to spend a lot of time in a very small cabin under the sea level. Depending on your position you might be lucky to have a window. Split shifts are painfull. They will ruin your day, you might have some of the hours free but there is not much you can do with that time anyway. The crew bar is open till midnight (what?). Drinks are cheap though and everybody orders them in large quantities ;)

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there are truly Consummate Hosts, and if I could have taken my team with me to my new job I would have (I relocated for personal reasons).

Cons

Lots of changes and not a lot of clear communication with how those changes affect employees. There needs to be much more defined expectations of the company's goals, especially as long term employees move out of the Company.

Advice to Management

Clarify expectations of responsibilities with mid level management. Nobody seems to know who owns what after the re-structuring.

RSS Feed </> Embed