Princess Cruise Lines Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Jan Swartz

Pros
  • Working on a ship affords you the ability to see the world or at least parts of it depending on your job and schedule (in 6 reviews)

• They have a good work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is nice to have (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication needs improvement from upper management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, dorm style rooms, may be sharing with any age range (in 4 reviews)

1. Assistant Manager, Escorted Tour Operations

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is fairly flexible in day to day operations. Decent travel perks. A great manager. The business itself is fun and interesting.

Cons

Compensation should be more competitive. Culture is fairly stiff and corporate, not very relaxed. Not as much upward mobility potential as I would like as a young professional.

Advice to Management

More focus on teamwork and collaboration. Less emphasis on traditional corporate structure and consider the company as a whole, all employees included, not just upper management.

2. Great Seasonal Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Train Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Seasonal Train Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines

Pros

Coworkers from all over Location - traveling throughout Alaska everyday Tips

Cons

Not a good life-work balance Low hourly wage

3. Good experience to have but I wouldn't want to stay longer.

Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Photographer in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines

Pros

I would say that if you have the opportunity and you're early on your carrier path, give it a try. I took it as a summer job and had a lot of fun. You will see some of the world and you will meet interesting people. Depending on your schedule you might spend most of the time onboard though ;) If you're looking to save money it's more than possible given that you don't have to worry about food and accomodation.

Cons

Be prepared to spend a lot of time in a very small cabin under the sea level. Depending on your position you might be lucky to have a window. Split shifts are painfull. They will ruin your day, you might have some of the hours free but there is not much you can do with that time anyway. The crew bar is open till midnight (what?). Drinks are cheap though and everybody orders them in large quantities ;)

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there are truly Consummate Hosts, and if I could have taken my team with me to my new job I would have (I relocated for personal reasons).

Cons

Lots of changes and not a lot of clear communication with how those changes affect employees. There needs to be much more defined expectations of the company's goals, especially as long term employees move out of the Company.

Advice to Management

Clarify expectations of responsibilities with mid level management. Nobody seems to know who owns what after the re-structuring.

6. Micromanagement Extraordinaire

Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good benefits. 401k, health insurance, weekly and monthly morale boosters, holiday events.

Cons

You couldn't sneeze without getting an okay from a supervisor. Breaks were highly regulated, usually a maximum of 10 minutes a day. In the call center you didn't have anything else to do except answer phone calls. If it was slow you had to find something to occupy your time, coloring books and puzzles were very popular when I was there. Very high turn over rate and very long training period (about a month).

Advice to Management

Spend less time training your employees, for a customer service job, like the call center, a week or two at most should be all that's necessary. Find something for the employees to do on slow days, you'll have fewer people playing card games at their desks.

7. Hostess at King Salmon

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines

Pros

Great housing compared to other seasonal companies, work perks: discounts on tours

Cons

remote location might be difficult if you dont have your own personal vehicle,

Advice to Management

new management should take advice from returners, they know how the show runs.

Compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my work, the challenges and the people I worked with

Cons

Very high expectations but was not appropriately compensated. Health benefits very expensive.

Advice to Management

Those making the decisions on salary should get a full understanding of the work performed.

9. Driver Guide

Former Employee - Driver Guide in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Driver Guide in Juneau, AK

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was very engaging and fun.

Cons

Because the job was seasonal, there is little work and life balance.

Advice to Management

Please give consistent positives and negatives about the workers' performances rather than becoming upset when something happens and the punishment seems disproportionate.

10. Reservation Agent

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Great benefits and good company culture and the ability and option to telecommute. Long term retention for many employees which is unusual for a call center.

Cons

Downtown location makes parking expensive, however the company provides a free ORCA pass to all employees so there is no cost to take public transportation.

Significant Corporate Changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work week Great travel perks including cruises and travel discounts Visible executives who are open to talking and listening Job stability

Cons

Reactive strategy. Resistant to change. Poor corporate location. Cheap in terms of employee benefits. )ie Casual days were benefits in the 90s. They're standard practice in pro-active employers).

Advice to Management

Way too many legacy employees. They're should be a wide-spread layoff. Trim the dead-weight and utilize that salary to hire younger talent with new ideas.

RSS Feed </> Embed