Princess Cruise Lines

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.6

Jan Swartz

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is nice to have (in 9 reviews)

• Get to see some pretty interesting places around the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication needs improvement from upper management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, dorm style rooms, may be sharing with any age range (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

One of famous cruise line company in the world

Former Employee - Pactry Chef  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pactry Chef in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience to work on board cruise ship.

Cons

teach us how we can handled jobs in high volume mentality

More opportunity for Indonesian hotelier to join as Princess

This is a dream job with free room and board and unlimited travel potential

Former Employee - Production Vocalist  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Production Vocalist in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great shows, amazing ports of call and cheap booze for the crew.

Cons

Small living quarters, lots of in port drills and curfew is 1:00am.

You get what you negotiate. Go in high as it is a 6 month contract.

Invest in employees to invest in the company

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Denali Park, AK
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Denali Park, AK

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

*Many types of incentives and recognition programs
    *Great management

Cons

*Pay is awful
    *Lack of people returning due to poor pay makes the job harder

With the high turnover rate related to poor wages, you would save more money just investing in people and paying them more. Recruiting and hiring is an expensive process, and if you actually made wages livable you might get a few more returners each season.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work does pay off, and can make a real difference!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having been with Princess for several years, I have had many opportunities for advancement. Working within Supply Chain, we are in a unique position to work with multiple "internal customers" to impact the experience our passengers have on their vacations. If you've ever been on a cruise, you can't help but be impressed what "customer service" means on a Princess vessel. To be able to work closely with the crew on one of our vessels to make it possible, makes the work that we do that much more rewarding. Going home at the end of the day, you can really know you've made a difference. The company also offers competitive benefits, such as tuition reimbursement, a 9/80 schedule, and cruising benefits. The company as a whole strives to improve employee job satisfaction, educational and career goals, as well as addressing physical wellness for both shoreside and shipboard staff.

Cons

As the company strives to minimize costs, employees face smaller work spaces, heavier workload, and smaller yearly merit increases, all of which can wear down the morale of even the most dedicated staff. Large scale efforts in the company are often lost in the day to day reality of too much to do.

Speak clearly and directly to the issues that matter for the Company, to avoid the constant churn of rumors and half truths that always seem to be in circulation.

Great benefits, mediocre salary

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great travel benefits, 401k matching, and programs put on by HR

Cons

Hard to get a raise, and limitations when negotiating salary

Follow up to HR 's response below

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are generally nice and willing to help you with questions etc

Cons

As HR pointed out in the review below that employees are eligible after 1 year of service to take advantage of cruising benefits - while this maybe true, those employees that have more than 5 years of service are the one's that truly reap the benefits. As employees with seniority get first choice, you are placed on a waiting list and you get called sometimes the day before the cruise is set to leave "if" there is space available for the cruise that you have requested. You are better off paying the friends and family price to actually get on the cruise. Also, if by some stroke of luck you get on the cruise (with a day or two notice), then its up to your manager to approve your time off - how can anyone plan a decent vacation and time off in that case.

All the other benefits are the same as any other company, there is nothing special. As for their Health benefits they are not the same or comparable to any other company. The rates are ridiculous and very expensive - you would think that a sizable company like Princess Cruises would have and be able to offer their employees a decent health package. Your better off purchasing health insurance on your own, this is NOT a perk. Be sure to ask what the actual out of pocket expense is before signing an offer letter.

Reservation Sales Agent

Former Employee - Reservation Agent  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent management, great training program

Cons

office cubical setting, dealing with the customers, literally no room for advancement

office culture and personal growth

Princess Cruise Lines Response

Jul 8, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback!

You may not know this, but Princess Cruises has a Reservation Agent "Loan" program in place specifically to help contact center employees learn more about
    ... More

Supply Chain - Underpaid - Overworked - Unappreciative corporate culture

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

See lots of reviews from people working on board the ships but seems things are very different at shore-ops. 9/80 work schedule is convenient, if you do not have to come in to work to catch up, sick time and vacation are good.

Cons

Management has no idea where the company is headed as if they do, they would not have lost so many honest hard working long time employees in the last few months. Constant re-orgs and hiring of temporary staff causes considerable confusion. Everyone including upper management joke about the poor pay, benefits are not better than any other company out there. There is constant mistrust, "clicks" among groups and a very counterproductive work culture. Employees are not taken care of, they have been told by management to "leave if they do not like the place".

Understand where you would like the company to head and work towards it. At least the very least share this vision with directors and managers. Treat employees better and increase pay to get better skilled employees, not just increase the headcounts, If you haven't noticed, you are running on a skeleton crew full of temporary employees.

Princess Cruise Lines Response

Jul 8, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your comments, which will help us continue to make our company stronger.

We respect each other’s honest viewpoints and are always eager to improve the ways we work together to
    ... More

pricess is very friendly cruise

Current Employee - Crew Member Cook Chef Entertainer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member Cook Chef Entertainer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Princess Cruise Lines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

very nice people.

Cons

learning quickly on my feet handing different customers in all parts of the world .

they need too to listen more clearly and be more out going and understanding of different people's cultures. have mor e patience and be more loving.

Law Clerk

Former Employee - Law Clerk  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Princess Cruise Lines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment and they have a very friendly staff. Their headquarters is very modern and spacious. A lot of the senior staff was willing to give me advice and otherwise was very helpful. I can't stress how wonderful their facilities are.

Cons

It being in Santa Clarita makes it very far from everything. It was hard to get a more permanent job with them, at least in their legal department.

Worked for Princess Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!