Princess Cruise Lines

www.princess.com

Princess Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Jan Swartz

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is nice to have(in 9 reviews)

• Get to see some pretty interesting places around the world(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication needs improvement from upper management(in 6 reviews)

• long hours, dorm style rooms, may be sharing with any age range(in 4 reviews)

Great benefits, mediocre salary

Coordinator (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat travel benefits, 401k matching, and programs put on by HR

ConsHard to get a raise, and limitations when negotiating salary

Reservation Sales Agent

Reservation Agent (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent management, great training program

Consoffice cubical setting, dealing with the customers, literally no room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementoffice culture and personal growth

Princess Cruise Lines Talent Acquisition Manager responded to this review

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for your feedback!

You may not know this, but Princess Cruises has a Reservation Agent "Loan" program in place specifically to help contact center employees learn more about
    ... More

pricess is very friendly cruise

Crew Member Cook Chef Entertainer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosvery nice people.

Conslearning quickly on my feet handing different customers in all parts of the world .

Advice to Senior Managementthey need too to listen more clearly and be more out going and understanding of different people's cultures. have mor e patience and be more loving.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Law Clerk

Law Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat environment and they have a very friendly staff. Their headquarters is very modern and spacious. A lot of the senior staff was willing to give me advice and otherwise was very helpful. I can't stress how wonderful their facilities are.

ConsIt being in Santa Clarita makes it very far from everything. It was hard to get a more permanent job with them, at least in their legal department.

Supply Chain - Underpaid - Overworked - Unappreciative corporate culture

Supervisor (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsSee lots of reviews from people working on board the ships but seems things are very different at shore-ops. 9/80 work schedule is convenient, if you do not have to come in to work to catch up, sick time and vacation are good.

ConsManagement has no idea where the company is headed as if they do, they would not have lost so many honest hard working long time employees in the last few months. Constant re-orgs and hiring of temporary staff causes considerable confusion. Everyone including upper management joke about the poor pay, benefits are not better than any other company out there. There is constant mistrust, "clicks" among groups and a very counterproductive work culture. Employees are not taken care of, they have been told by management to "leave if they do not like the place".

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand where you would like the company to head and work towards it. At least the very least share this vision with directors and managers. Treat employees better and increase pay to get better skilled employees, not just increase the headcounts, If you haven't noticed, you are running on a skeleton crew full of temporary employees.

Princess Cruise Lines Talent Acquisition Manager responded to this review

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for your comments, which will help us continue to make our company stronger.

We respect each other’s honest viewpoints and are always eager to improve the ways we work together to
    ... More

Too many VPs and Directors while middle and lower level staff is stretched very thin.

Shoreside Operations (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsDepending on your department, work itself can be interesting with a lot of learning opportunities. Nice coworkers for the most part. Nice location in a big mall/shopping center with lots of places to eat. Discounts on cruises for permanent employees who have been there at least a year and have enough accrued vacation days.

ConsStaff is seriously overworked. Work/life balance is terrible. They have 9/80 schedules but many people still come in on their day off to keep up with work. They constantly hire supposedly "long term" temps but then withing a couple of months let them go without warning. Sometimes people get lucky and become permanent, but in the short time I've been here (few months), I've seen at least 4 temps and contractors in my area be let go with only 2 or 3 days notice due to upper management deciding budget cuts were needed (again). Health benefits not very good and though they have a 401k, you don't qualify until you've been there a couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle managers and "regular" staff are extremely overworked and stressed. You're killing employee morale with you constant "reorganizations" (aka, poor planning) and out of touch management. Hire more permanent professionals to do the work and stop being shortsighted with your overuse of temp staff. You hire them and as soon as they learn the job you let them go. Talk about a waste of resources.

Awesome ports but be prepared to work extremely hard with no days off!

Assistant Purser (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsIf you love travel, Princess has the best ports depending on the ship

ConsPay is not great, but if you love travelling, it's the best paid job.

Fantastic experience as onboard Engineer

Second ENGINEER (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcellent gains, stateroom, food. Trainings at the top. Very professional way in the management of the crew.

Conslife onboard is very stressful if not fully motivated

Advice to Senior Managementnon , perfect like that

Job started great but recently has gotten too short on staff and long on hours.

Shoreside Operations (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat cruise perks if you can get them. benefits ant 401k are good.

ConsExpectations are that salaried employees must work 24/7 and even when on vacation. Some departments are running too thin on people and trying to cover with temp staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow dysfunctional managers and directors to run roughshod over staff in an effort to cover their own shortcomings.

A mixed bag at best

ProsLots of supportive, knowledgeable co-workers & front-line managers.
    Decent 401-K plan.
    Available 9/80 schedule.

ConsLow pay. Medical/dental benefits have limited options and high cost to employees. Shoreside departments are kept understaffed, with constantly increasing workloads. Frequent reorgs, often accompanied by more staff reductions. IT support is mediocre and getting worse-again, largely due to understaffing. Clueless senior executives obstruct their staff members by withholding information, procrastinating and second-guessing on decisions and mandating last-minute changes to project specifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry reading your own "core values" sometime...especially the parts about accountability and respect for your team.

Worked for Princess Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!