Princess Cruise Lines

www.princess.com

Princess Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Jan Swartz

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance, 9/80 schedule is nice to have (in 9 reviews)

• Get to see some pretty interesting places around the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication needs improvement from upper management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, dorm style rooms, may be sharing with any age range (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work does pay off, and can make a real difference!

Supervisor (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsHaving been with Princess for several years, I have had many opportunities for advancement. Working within Supply Chain, we are in a unique position to work with multiple "internal customers" to impact the experience our passengers have on their vacations. If you've ever been on a cruise, you can't help but be impressed what "customer service" means on a Princess vessel. To be able to work closely with the crew on one of our vessels to make it possible, makes the work that we do that much more rewarding. Going home at the end of the day, you can really know you've made a difference. The company also offers competitive benefits, such as tuition reimbursement, a 9/80 schedule, and cruising benefits. The company as a whole strives to improve employee job satisfaction, educational and career goals, as well as addressing physical wellness for both shoreside and shipboard staff.

ConsAs the company strives to minimize costs, employees face smaller work spaces, heavier workload, and smaller yearly merit increases, all of which can wear down the morale of even the most dedicated staff. Large scale efforts in the company are often lost in the day to day reality of too much to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak clearly and directly to the issues that matter for the Company, to avoid the constant churn of rumors and half truths that always seem to be in circulation.

Photography dept

Photographer (Former Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsFree travel and meeting new friends.

ConsTerrible living conditions, I arrived to dirty bedding and used chewing gum stuck above my bed, sink and shower constantly flooded even though reported many times. Treated with zero respect by management and working hours that absolutely exhaust you.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are on a serious power trip here, they love laying the law down although my first manager received not so much as a slapped wrist for getting drunk and falling over in a passenger area and my second manager just had a lack of respect for the entire team. I handed my notice in and went home a bit early because it was just so awful. I was so excited to start my career with Princess and have never been more disappointed with anything I have done. I believe this is in large part due to management. I think the company should really only promote people to management if they are capable of managing a team professionally, not just because they have stuck with the company for a number of years. If I ever came to management with a genuine problem or concern, the general attitude was 'its not my problem' No actually if you are a manager your team is your problem, its not just a pay check and a bit of power. The only thing I have taken with me is that I met my partner and got to see a bit of the world. I think this job will suit someone who is happy to be treated like an unworthy person and who can survive on very little rest. Good luck.

Great benefits, mediocre salary

Coordinator (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat travel benefits, 401k matching, and programs put on by HR

ConsHard to get a raise, and limitations when negotiating salary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reservation Sales Agent

Reservation Agent (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent management, great training program

Consoffice cubical setting, dealing with the customers, literally no room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementoffice culture and personal growth

Princess Cruise Lines Response

Jul 8, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback!

You may not know this, but Princess Cruises has a Reservation Agent "Loan" program in place specifically to help contact center employees learn more about
    ... More

Customer Services - hard work but good fun!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravelling the world, making life long friends from all over the world, making a difference to someone's holiday, great benefits as an officer

ConsPromotions are not based on merit but who is there at the right time when someone quits unexpectedly. You work every day but you do get used to it, pay is not great when living in the UK in between contracts

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people equally, reward those who work hard and prove themselves

Supply Chain - Underpaid - Overworked - Unappreciative corporate culture

Supervisor (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsSee lots of reviews from people working on board the ships but seems things are very different at shore-ops. 9/80 work schedule is convenient, if you do not have to come in to work to catch up, sick time and vacation are good.

ConsManagement has no idea where the company is headed as if they do, they would not have lost so many honest hard working long time employees in the last few months. Constant re-orgs and hiring of temporary staff causes considerable confusion. Everyone including upper management joke about the poor pay, benefits are not better than any other company out there. There is constant mistrust, "clicks" among groups and a very counterproductive work culture. Employees are not taken care of, they have been told by management to "leave if they do not like the place".

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand where you would like the company to head and work towards it. At least the very least share this vision with directors and managers. Treat employees better and increase pay to get better skilled employees, not just increase the headcounts, If you haven't noticed, you are running on a skeleton crew full of temporary employees.

Princess Cruise Lines Response

Jul 8, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your comments, which will help us continue to make our company stronger.

We respect each other’s honest viewpoints and are always eager to improve the ways we work together to
    ... More

pricess is very friendly cruise

Crew Member Cook Chef Entertainer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosvery nice people.

Conslearning quickly on my feet handing different customers in all parts of the world .

Advice to Senior Managementthey need too to listen more clearly and be more out going and understanding of different people's cultures. have mor e patience and be more loving.

Law Clerk

Law Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat environment and they have a very friendly staff. Their headquarters is very modern and spacious. A lot of the senior staff was willing to give me advice and otherwise was very helpful. I can't stress how wonderful their facilities are.

ConsIt being in Santa Clarita makes it very far from everything. It was hard to get a more permanent job with them, at least in their legal department.

Too many VPs and Directors while middle and lower level staff is stretched very thin.

Shoreside Operations (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsDepending on your department, work itself can be interesting with a lot of learning opportunities. Nice coworkers for the most part. Nice location in a big mall/shopping center with lots of places to eat. Discounts on cruises for permanent employees who have been there at least a year and have enough accrued vacation days.

ConsStaff is seriously overworked. Work/life balance is terrible. They have 9/80 schedules but many people still come in on their day off to keep up with work. They constantly hire supposedly "long term" temps but then withing a couple of months let them go without warning. Sometimes people get lucky and become permanent, but in the short time I've been here (few months), I've seen at least 4 temps and contractors in my area be let go with only 2 or 3 days notice due to upper management deciding budget cuts were needed (again). Health benefits not very good and though they have a 401k, you don't qualify until you've been there a couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle managers and "regular" staff are extremely overworked and stressed. You're killing employee morale with you constant "reorganizations" (aka, poor planning) and out of touch management. Hire more permanent professionals to do the work and stop being shortsighted with your overuse of temp staff. You hire them and as soon as they learn the job you let them go. Talk about a waste of resources.

Seeing the world while you work

Marine Engineering Officer (Current Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsDifferent country's everyday, great working environment and multi cultural employees to work with. The food on board is very good for high ranking officers as well as benefits such as use of pools and the gym etc.

ConsBeing away for long periods of time, most contracts range from 4 months to 9 months at sea with very little time off. No overtime is paid for, which is pretty much everyday.

Worked for Princess Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!