Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
3.3

CEO

A great place to get a good research start

Former Employee - Intern, Hourly in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern, Hourly in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of diverse levels and areas of research, and some great experiments being performed. Very helpful technical staff (for me, some other guys didn't have such a great time). My work was interesting, and though I started off as a HS intern, I found that my work was far from insignificant.

Cons

Odd smells at some points. Lots of regulations associated with pretty much anything. Mass emails that have nothing to do with your level of work can get annoying.

One time the former head of the lab decided to sit down with me and my intern buddy for lunch completely out of the blue. I was so nervous I couldn't eat and he really didn't catch on that we were really uncomfortable with the situation.

Great people, can be a difficult environment for innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very intelligent people, friendly environment, located in a beautiful area with great access to "main campus" resources.

Cons

Resistance to change, many employees lack motivation to go above and beyond, old building and lots of red tape in terms of funding.

Create a clearer path for people to advance in their careers and provide some incentive to go above and beyond

World renown research facility, but not great for workers on the operational side

I have been working at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits (5 weeks of vacation) and a relaxed work environment. Office culture is laid back, but has its fair share of office politics like any other company. Good reputation as you also are an employee of Princeton University.

Cons

Organizationally most departments are not adequately staffed, managers lack true management skills, and there's not a lot of morale amongst the office workers. Middle management seems to be overworked with little direction from senior management. Departments on the Operations side of the lab are treated like "second class" citizens to the research side. Being a research facility, that seems logical, but without operations, the researchers will have no lab to do their work. Senior management has not been effective in changing this "us versus them" mentality between the two halves.

The lab also has a large percentage of the employees in the 50+ age category. It's not uncommon to find people who have been working at the lab for 20, 25, and even 45 years. This is a testament to the benefits of working here, but it also is difficult for younger workers to fit in - culturally, the place feels like it still operates in the late 80s and 90s. Turn over among the younger workers is quite high, most likely to this, and that the salaries are not competitive with the private sector, or even with Princeton University salaries (which all full time PPPL workers are employees of Princeton).

Don't underestimate the value of the operations side of the house. Treat all workers the same, whether they are researchers, engineers, or business operations. Take a strong look at the business operations units and see what level of job satisfaction there is (most likely pretty low). Career paths are not clearly defined, and salaries are low; a perfect recipe for high turnover.

A truly memorable internship experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It offers a project-based, team-centered environment. The permanent staff is experienced and willing to impart their knowledge to whomever will listen.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great environment for somebody that isn't involved at all in the bureaucracy.

Former Employee - Hourly Worker in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Hourly Worker in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional setting, ample tech resources, athletic activities during the 12-1 hour (and such) if you're willing to make up the time spent (soccer with some of the surrounding businesses and volleyball with coworkers), indoor gym for those that lift. Good place for somebody young to get their start in a highly regarded and respectable research field.

Cons

Sometimes a little disorganized, the cluster managers and OIT don't publicize usage of the computer clusters well enough so sometimes I'd have to scrounge around for a working terminal, though it wasn't excruciatingly hard to do so.

Communication sometimes gets lost to lower levels, especially when one or more groups want a room or a computer cluster.

Business Operations Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory full-time

Pros

enough vacations days
    casual and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

starting salary way lower than private companies
    no room to grow or increased learning curve
    very rare promotions and hardly any raises
    not a professional working environment

Give willing employees the opportunity to develop their talents and give feedbacks. Training should be more emphasized and employees should feel a sense of belonging

Great Facilities

Former Employee - SULI Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - SULI Intern in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory

Pros

PPPL has very nice facilities and encourages novel approaches to research. Most of the employees are very intelligent and friendly, and the work environment is generally very laid back. Princeton is a beautiful area and only a short 1 hour train ride from New York CIty or Philadelphia.

Cons

Morale has decreased with the cancellation of the NCSX and TFTR projects. Funding is always an issue. The labs demographics tend to be very limited (a preponderance of older white males).

A waste of my working career

Current Employee - Technician in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Technician in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory

Pros

Good vacation and decent benefits package

Cons

Low pay, clueless managers, no job recognition

Stop being so arrogant and pretentious. Treat your employees like humans.