Princeton Review

Princeton Review Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Princeton Review CEO Deborah Ellinger

Deborah Ellinger

Pros:
  • "Taking time off as a part-time office worker was not very difficult"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Administrative people at the local office are friendly, laid-back, and helpful"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The Job is not going to be full time"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I thought this would be a great part-time gig with a good hourly rate"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a good small job

SAT Instructor (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

Prosyou get trained really well, you are somewhat flexible, lots of mobility to get trained in other work areas and other tests. Lots of opportunity to work around the country and abroad.

Consscheduling is crazy and difficult, bad communication. Management is constantly changing, you never know who to talk to. You won't know if you will be working until a few days before your class. It is hard to get a lot of work.

I worked here part-time

New Brunswick, NJ

ProsIt was a fun experience with good staff. I would recommend it to others. There are many opportunities if you get more involved.

ConsI didn't feel really connected to everyone, and organizational systems changed too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure because it's such a big organization.

Fun place to work!,

ProsGreat people, never a dull moment!

ConsThings change often and the computer systems are difficult.

Flag Review
    Princeton Review Human Resources responded to this review Jun 20, 2014 EditDelete
    First, thanks for your review! Things do move quickly around here, we like to keep everyone on their toes! Updating systems has been a top priority this year and we've made some good strides ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growth

Natick, MA

ProsSenior Management very accessible. Very worth while work

Consat 100 Million the company is to big to be small and too small to be big.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing, embrace change

Decent job for college student if you can get the hours.

New Brunswick, NJ

ProsFlexible number of hours per week and the training is relatively short and straightforward. You have a good deal of independence in the classroom. You can train to teach other exams fairly easily.

ConsYou have to fight for hours with a large pool of other trainers, so if you think of it as your full-time job you may have issues getting enough hours. I could reliably get 20-30 hours a week. You have to travel all over the place to make your hours-- sometimes driving 1.5 hours round trip so you can teach a 2 hour tutoring session. There is some minimal travel reimbursement but it doesn't make up for the time.

Finally your salary is very flat per hour- you start at around $20 an hour (at least when I was there) but you don't get much in the way of raises based on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive larger salary incentives based on performance.

Camaraderie among staff; superb products; legit industry leader

SAT & ACT Teacher and Tutor (Current Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsI'm fortunate enough to be able to write about TPR from two perspectives: one as a full-time tutoring and recruiting manager, and the other as a part-time teacher and tutor. Both positions led me to happily "drink the Kool-Aid." Undergoing an intense 30+ hour training to teach ONE test type convinced me that, yes, Princeton Review does produce the most-equipped teachers and tutors in the industry. The part-time hours offer ideal flexibility, and the training and support ensure you always feel completely prepared. Working with students and being able to offer them detailed score reports that track their successes and mishaps so closely lets you invest in their future successes, which is one of the most satisfying experiences from the job. Getting emails and phone calls from students after they've taken the real test and hearing their excitement because they beat their goals? Unbelievable.

So that's the part-time capacity. For those interested in a full-time position, please read on:

First, the bad: TPR ("The Princeton Review" -- lingo you'll need to know in a full-time role) has a dirty little secret. They recruit phenomenal talent -- talent with whom you'll very much enjoy working and growing together -- but pay at an entry-level salary for many positions commanding more than entry-level experience and below-industry-standard for even executive positions.

Whew! Glad we got that out of the way. Now, for the good: the team that comprises the TPR Colorado office is the best with which you'll hope to work in an entire career. Regardless of hiccups and tribulations the occur in day-to-day activities in an office, this crew maintains a sincere sense of camaraderie -- they learn from each others' mistakes and continue their commitments to grow together. The leadership is supportive and invested in all employees and take a genuine interest in employees' growth goals within the company. And for what it's worth, I didn't leave TPR for another company -- I left it for my own. It's the only company that could have pulled me away.

ConsRefer to paragraph 3 ("First, the bad:...").

TPR - some things are great and some things have room for improvement.

ProsDedicated employees who work hard and care about customer's success. The company is filled with go-getters, people who find a way to get things done. Opportunities for advancement for those who want it , those who are willing to try new things and especially for those who are willing to move. Offices are casual, laid back and for the most part friendly.

ConsA lot to do - all the time. Organization and prioritization are key to success. Training could be more consistent across the board. Sometimes people are re-inventing the wheel because everyone is so spread out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on best practices. Communicate more. Be flexible when possible.

great part-time job

Test Prep Instructor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgood pay for a part-time job and really great for people who need to pick their hours. plenty of flexibility for scheduling and in addition ot teaching there are many opportunities to proctor or work marketing tables for extra cash

Consdisorganized. emails go unanswered, students are not always processed correctly. Also wish there was more mentor-ship available between newer teachers and older teachers.

A great part-time in theory; in practice, dissapointing

Tempe, AZ

ProsMy favorite part about this job was my time in the classroom. I absolutely loved teaching and joking around with my students. By and large, we had a great time in class, and it was great practice public speaking, presenting, and teaching.

The Princeton Review has perfected the art of gaming the SAT, and their methods work very well. My classes' scores always increased substantially.

ConsAt the outset my trainer showed us a pyramid with opportunities for advancement. I thought this would be a great part-time gig with a good hourly rate. However, after speaking with some very excellent coworkers who had been working at the Princeton Review for over two years without making a nickel more than the starting rate, I decided it wasn't worth it.

I did not realize how difficult it would be to get a class at a time that worked for me and a location at a reasonable driving distance. $15/hour plus their driving compensation does not make up for driving 45 minutes to teach a three-hour class. And for proctoring a test, forget it.

Also, for anyone with a strong sense of social justice, working for The Princeton Review will slowly eat away at you. While the company claims that its mission is to help all students get into their best fit school, in reality, all it does is help rich kids take advantage of a flawed system because they can afford to pay The Princeton Review's hefty price tag.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent instructors and compensate them accordingly.

No respect for talent. Management needs to get serious.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers, nice people, sometimes get to help less fortunate

ConsUnderpaid. Confused management. Inflexible, long hours. I didn't feel the the company was going in the right direction. HORRIBLE technology made daily work a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair, take responsibility, spend wisely

Worked for Princeton Review? Contribute to the Community!

Princeton Review Videos

Princeton Review – Why Work for Us?

About The Princeton Review Founded in 1981, The Princeton Review has long been a leader in helping college and graduate school–bound students achieve their higher-education goals through our test-preparation services… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Princeton Review reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Princeton Review CEO Deborah Ellinger. All 136 reviews posted anonymously by Princeton Review employees.