Princeton Review
www.princetonreview.com Natick, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Princeton Review Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Deborah Ellinger

Pros:
  • "Taking time off as a part-time office worker was not very difficult"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Administrative people at the local office are friendly, laid-back, and helpful"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The Job is not going to be full time"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Upward mobility was limited, because most instructors only teach part time temporarily - while in school usually"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Jumbled, Chaotic, Valuable

Classroom Instructor (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Princeton Review part-time for more than a year

ProsI learned a lot about how to deal with groups of children

ConsManagement messed up my pay for the first month.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communication

Great Experience Teaching, Terrible Experience from the Office

SAT, GRE, ACT and GMAT Teacher (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time for less than a year

ProsIts a laid back environment and teaching/tutoring fits my schedule really well. I've gotten great training (except once) and the materials we give to students are materials I trust.

ConsThe manager in my local office is a disaster. She's can't think past tomorrow, she throws her employees under the bus and after she trained me for the SAT in less than the promised hours, I was totally unprepared. I never know when a class will need teaching until days before hand and the managers are often switching around policies without telling us.

Valuable Experience, Underpaid

Classroom Instructor (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time for more than a year

ProsThis was a great opportunity for part-time work. I was considering going back for a Master's in Education, wanted to try and see if teaching was a good fit for me. While I really enjoyed my work there, it helped be figure out that in the long run teaching wasn't for me.

ConsThe amount of pay is not commensurate with the level of responsibility and the amount of travel required. I was driving 45 minutes-1 hour and 15 minutes to reach my classroom. They have systems set up to reimburse you for some mileage, but the amount of driving will put enough miles on your car to make it not worth it.

The work schedule can be inconsistent. After receiving certification, it took me nearly 2 months before I finally got some work. After that, it was easier.

There are three separate systems you have to enter information into after your class. It's a pain. Maybe that has changed recently, but probably not.

Instructor/tutor

Instructor (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a good part-time career. Highly flexible, since a lot of the classes and tutoring happen weekday evenings and over weekends. Hourly rates are great, and after a while, you do get raises as you advance from private to master to premier tutor (but that takes years). You get the pleasure of working with some seriously smart and interesting people --- students and coworkers alike! You get a lot of flexibility in how you teach classes (as long as you cover required material). Mileage for travel (and pretty much everything else) is reimbursed, which is rare for most other tutoring companies. And the methods really work; R&D works really hard to make sure that our methods and materials raise test scores.

ConsUpward mobility is limited; you're probably not going to move up into operations or management if you're an instructor. Don't rely on this for your primary income; get a day job if you're not a student. Initially, it's very sink-or-swim; your first few classes will be kind of scary, since you're basically thrown in there after a weekend or two of training.

A lot of our instructors move on after a few years, either going into business for themselves after getting fed-up with management, or getting a 'real job'. Leadership is hit-or-miss, particularly if you work in a satellite office without its own ops manager. Your administrators and managers are overworked and overwhelmed. Have pity on them, for yea though they get benefits, they also work a million hours a week.

Oh, and be prepared for the occasional crazed parent. It pays to be very diplomatic and make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed. Caveat lector!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more from within. You have some of the smartest people in the business teaching in your classrooms, who have deep knowledge of the product and are passionate about what they do. It really isn't all that hard to sit down with an instructor and teach him/her how to manage courses. Believe me, we have to re-learn algebra and trig to teach; it isn't all that hard to learn Salesforce and phone skills.

Not a bad pt gig, after training

LSAT Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Princeton Review part-time for more than a year

ProsPay is decent for the amount of effort, most of your students will be pretty cool to work with.

ConsTraining is a fairly intense process. They paid for travel expenses, but had to share a room. Sometimes hard to get info from higher ups after training

Good place to work where you'll learn a LOT.

I have been working at Princeton Review full-time for more than a year

ProsColleagues are very passionate about helping students succeed and committed to doing a great job. The quality of the programs TPR offers is very high. The company is committed to growth and has made a lot of improvements over the past couple of years.

ConsThere is a lot to be done! So much potential and lots of different things to focus on.

TPR

I have been working at Princeton Review

ProsFlexibility; always learning new parts of the job; involvement in community

ConsDifficult IT systems; some confusing directives.

Great flexibility, smart colleagues, easy money.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Princeton Review

ProsGreat training and support, fantastic colleagues. I loved working for TPR. Especially once you start private tutorials, the pay is quite good.

ConsVariable schedule is a pro and a con. Class times are fixed in stone, and are always late afternoon/early evening and weekends.

Math Tutor - High Dosage Tutoring Program

Math Tutor (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Princeton Review full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome group of people, with diverse backgrounds and varied interests. It was nice working in a situation where everyone was both committed to doing a great job and excited about their next step in life. the ability to directly impact students' outcomes was also great.

ConsThe job was really low paying for the area, it was great as a temporary source of income, but it wasn't something anyone really saw themselves doing long-term.

Great company, good people. Good products, and instructors don't have to also be salespeople. Friendly work environment.

Instructor (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Princeton Review part-time for less than a year

ProsCasual atmosphere, intelligent and energetic co-workers, decent pay, paid trainings. Teaching and trainings were always fun. Everyone I worked with enjoyed coming to work every day. Tutoring was especially satisfying and paid decently well.

ConsThere were limited hours available at times. Upward mobility was limited, because most instructors only teach part time temporarily - while in school usually. Often students were limited by the price of the courses and tutoring.

Worked for Princeton Review? Contribute to the Community!

Princeton Review Videos

Princeton Review – Why Work for Us?

About The Princeton Review Founded in 1981, The Princeton Review has long been a leader in helping college and graduate school–bound students achieve their higher-education goals through our test-preparation services… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Princeton Review reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Princeton Review CEO Deborah Ellinger. All 114 reviews posted anonymously by Princeton Review employees.