Princeton University

Princeton University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber

Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area(in 13 reviews)

• The labs are close together which create a very collaborative working environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a small town, and a relatively small University(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance depending on your position -- it was excellent for me, but isn't for everyone(in 3 reviews)

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh academic level, abundant access to resources and nice faculties

ConsDistant from the city; traffic is a problem when going out for fun

Advice to Senior ManagementCould facilitate more industrial connection with scientific research

Challenging

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsLots of interesting people to talk to. Very good academics. Enjoy walking around campus. Very flexible schedule.

ConsUnrealistic expectations of advisers. Very little idea of future direction. Not a great place for engineers to start a career. Many people just do consulting of finance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate more with engineering companies.

Princeton U. treat employee very well

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGood administration system. Many procedure can be done online. Save your time for research. People are so nice and helpful.

Cons(1) The living cost is pretty high there.
    (2) Public transportation system is not very good around the town. Basically, driving is required if not living in the campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RA

ProsGreat working environment, beautiful town and nice place to live.

ConsCompetition is fierce. Rains a lot.

Great place with few setbacks

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIvy league institute with knowledgeable and field-leading researchers. The benefits are great, parking is free and the campus is beautiful.

ConsLack of a directly affiliated hospital means biomedical/translational research is limited . Hence, there is a heavy focus on fundamental basic science. Campus and Princeton at large can feel exceedingly slow if you come from a big city.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work and expand the scope of the biological sciences, especially in genomics.

Great school for grad students

ProsI am in one of the physical sciences. Princeton has top-notch people and resources that make research life exciting and interesting.

ConsWhile work-life balance is good (depending on your advisor - mine is good), there is not much nearby to do for fun for a grad student. Most of us go to NY, New Brunswick, or Philly for fun. A car is very helpful.

Annual Giving Office/Tigercaller

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hours, pay and great experience in terms of fundraising and convincing people

ConsThe job exhausts you pretty quickly, since you talk to people for 3 hours straight

Engineering Graduate Student

Graduate Student (PhD) (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

Pros- Excellent academic atmosphere, with lots of exciting and impactful research
    - Research facilities, equipment, and resources are top of the line
    - Beautiful campus and surrounding area
    - NYC is ~1 hour train ride away

Cons- The town is quite small, so it is easy to get a little stir crazy if you don't have a car
    - Campus and town are over-run by high school campers during the summer

Incredibly hard-working people

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsPeople at Princeton are down to Earth and very hard working. This is not true for everyone, but many of the students and faculty have a sense of humility. The grade delation policy definitely keeps the students' egos in check.

ConsGrade deflation is difficult to deal with, especially for students who are used to being at the top of their classes in high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better feedback to students. Grade feedback is the worst part of Princeton's undergraduate education. It varies by department, but it should be standardized to a degree.

Fond memories of grad school here

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsExcellent resources, brilliant professors and students. I learned so much and made lifelong friends. Very active alumni network. Beautiful campus. Supportive administration.

ConsPrinceton itself isn't the most happening place to live. However this can be a pro-there is much more student life, and NYC is just a train ride away. The qualifying (general) exam process can be very stressful in most of the departments here, but this is true of other universities as well.

Worked for Princeton University? Contribute to the Community!