www.princeton.edu

Updated October 16, 2014
4.3

Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber
Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Great training sessions, beautiful campus and friendly atmosphere (in 16 reviews)

• Great working environment, beautiful town and nice place to live (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a small town, and a relatively small University (in 8 reviews)

• The academic environment can be overwhelming, and at times feel like there isn't structured support at the department-level for graduate students (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great for undergraduate students

Current Employee - Student Technology Consultant in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Student Technology Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for students. Offers chances for personal growth.

Cons

inconsistent across different student jobs; jobs don't offer much personal growth

A lovely museum in a nice town and university

Former Employee - Head of Education in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Head of Education in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The PUAM is a formidable art museum for a college and has a great collection. The museum is continuing to expand, both in terms of collection and grounds, and reaching to other audiences. The staff is supportive, and curating for special exhibitions can be a good amount of work but also very satisfying. The student guides and the other docents are also very friendly and I enjoyed working with them enormously. You might need to work on weekends but that is only for events and you'd be glad to attend.

Cons

Some of us feel a little overqualified, but that is the situation in the job market in arts and museums. I'm glad to be heading to a role where I could do more as a curator of my period of art, but will definitely miss the students and the lovely atmosphere at Princeton.

Positive experience for a PhD student

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Princeton is a beautiful campus and a rich academic environment for a graduate student. While the campus social activity is certainly more directed to the undergraduates, the Graduate School really does try to provide many events and avenues for grad students to have fun outside the lab and classroom. The proximity to New York and Philadelphia is great, too. The academic environment is challenging - but provides a good community for support and growth. The financial support for PhD student is excellent compared to other schools.

Cons

The academic environment can be overwhelming, and at times feel like there isn't structured support at the department-level for graduate students. Groups of students in departments or between departments, or a mentor besides one's advisor can be helpful. The housing situation seems to be changing for Graduate Students, and finding affordable housing can be tough in an expensive market.

Graduate students work hard, teach undergraduates, and often spend 5-6 years (or more) on campus. So any additional support (academic and financial) would be helpful.

Undergraduate researcher

Former Employee - Student Researcher in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Student Researcher in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

World class institution, lots of money, great researchers

Cons

Stress and competition, nothing to do around here

Change nothing but grade deflation

Flexible working environment, world class professors, most of the staff are friendly and its in a beautiful walking town

Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best benefits package i have ever seen. Flexible working schedule and ability to get time off when needed. Princeton is a walking town with many places to eat, drink and shop on lunch hour.

Cons

Compensation is terrible. Unless you are a manager the money is not there. Also the HR department here is a joke. Many of the managers should be fired, but HR turns a blind eye when situations arise.

A well organized and professional setting that enables growth and improvement in the workspace.

Former Employee - Account Representative in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training sessions, beautiful campus and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Some people can get by without doing as much work. A very political hiring structure in some offices.

Been working here for 10 years.

Current Employee - Janitor in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Janitor in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. I love the tuition reimbursement program. The campus is beautiful and for the most part it's pretty safe.

Cons

Depending on what department you work in and if you're in a union, you feel as if the unions are not looking out for the best interests of their members. Depending on the department, pay and raises may not be that great.

Represent your people and what's best for the group instead of looking out only for your own advancement.

Bendheim Center for Finance

I worked at Princeton University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and interesting projects, if you want to do quantitative finance - this is the place for you. You are here to advance your academic standing, not to make money.

Cons

The pay for a research assistant is not competitive with any major financial company, but if you're working here you're obviously there to get experience.

I actually think the management of Bendheim was pretty good!

Princeton University is a an Ivy League institution of the highest caliber with excellent benefits and work environment.

Former Employee - Manager of Intercollegiate Programming in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager of Intercollegiate Programming in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and the environment and people are second to none. There is always opportunity to advance your career.

Cons

The campus is spread out, so you have to be pro-active in building relationships cross campus departments.

As one of THE best in the Ivy League and higher education, Princeton employs the best available from service positions to the President.

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good facilities, and intellectual environment.

Cons

Unsupportive Human Resources department, in my experience. Be forewarned: they are definitely not there for you, but for the university. This won't be hard to see as they don't particularly care to hide it.

When I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that if I didn't want the job, there was a long line of people who would be only too happy to replace me! It was quite shocking to be spoken to with such disdain and to be seen as so dispensible, all before the first day at work! If you notice these things and can afford to, forgo the prestige of working here as it is not worth it in the end - it will not get any better and you will save yourself from the stress and trauam that comes from working in an undermining environment..

Care about your "lower level" employess, such as lab techs. Pay more attention to how your PIs are treating their lab staff. Put procedures in place to get feedback from them. on operations.

Princeton University Photos