Princeton University Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

4.4

Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber
Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area (in 13 reviews)

• Great working environment, beautiful town and nice place to live (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a small town, and a relatively small University (in 8 reviews)

• Untenured professors or other work-driven profs may treat graduate students poorly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place for studying

I have been working at Princeton University

Pros

This is one of the best university in US.

Cons

It is very competitive here.

I love working at PU.

I have been working at Princeton University

Pros

Great environment. great people. great benefits.

Cons

Pay scale is on the lower end.

Bendheim Center for Finance

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and interesting projects, if you want to do quantitative finance - this is the place for you. You are here to advance your academic standing, not to make money.

Cons

The pay for a research assistant is not competitive with any major financial company, but if you're working here you're obviously there to get experience.

I actually think the management of Bendheim was pretty good!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Princeton University is a an Ivy League institution of the highest caliber with excellent benefits and work environment.

Former Employee - Manager of Intercollegiate Programming  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager of Intercollegiate Programming in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits package and the environment and people are second to none. There is always opportunity to advance your career.

Cons

The campus is spread out, so you have to be pro-active in building relationships cross campus departments.

As one of THE best in the Ivy League and higher education, Princeton employs the best available from service positions to the President.

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Lab Manager  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good facilities, and intellectual environment.

Cons

Unsupportive Human Resources department, in my experience. Be forewarned: they are definitely not there for you, but for the university. This won't be hard to see as they don't particularly care to hide it.

When I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that if I didn't want the job, there was a long line of people who would be only too happy to replace me! It was quite shocking to be spoken to with such disdain and to be seen as so dispensible, all before the first day at work! If you notice these things and can afford to, forgo the prestige of working here as it is not worth it in the end - it will not get any better and you will save yourself from the stress and trauam that comes from working in an undermining environment..

Care about your "lower level" employess, such as lab techs. Pay more attention to how your PIs are treating their lab staff. Put procedures in place to get feedback from them. on operations.

Lab research group

Former Employee - Researcher  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Researcher in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Nice, friendly staff and a nurturing environment for growth.

Cons

Initial hiring process can be bureaucratic, requiring trips to various buildings spread across campus to get all the required signatures.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Terrific leadership, intellectually stimulating environment, ample resources, beautiful setting, runs like a well-oiled machine - with lovely facilities, overall very positive environment with highly competent and respectful staff, lots of programs to encourage overall staff well-being, great benefits overall.

Cons

Staff are second-class citizens (compared to faculty, students and postdocs). Compensation is good upon entry, but there are systems in place that make it hard to get a decent raise if you stay in the same job but take on increasing responsibilities.

Revisit the promotion and raise system. In the current structure, someone whose job grows significantly has a big incentive to transfer to another position in order to get an appropriate raise - because it is difficult to increase the salary in a meaningful way even when the official job level is raised.

good

Former Employee - Campus Representative  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Campus Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Princeton University part-time for less than a year

Pros

great atmosphere. supervisors at office were always friendly and enthusiastic and willing to help employees with advancement within the company

Cons

didnt experience anything particularly challenging because i worked a part time student job and didnt spend any real time in the office

good work

Review as a grad student

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The geographical environment is excellent. One of the most scenic campuses I have ever been. Less worry about fundings. Very prestigious in academic community.

Cons

The housing is getting limited for grad students. The postdoc salary is no good. Most departments are small in size so hard to find relevant courses sometimes.

Student health insurance can be better.

Can't wait to graduate and leave Princeton!

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The university does a relatively good job of activities on campus and trips to the city etc. Unfortunately these don't really make up for living in such a small town. The academics are amazing however, generally very good teachers, seminars and research.

Cons

I would say the majority of graduate students at Princeton would not recommend it. I was warned by several past students and successful Professors, but I thought I knew better. Only go to school here if you're satisfied to live in a small town with 5 bars.

Worked for Princeton University? Contribute to the Community!