Princeton University Reviews

Reset
4.2
Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber
Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area (in 17 reviews)

• Great working environment, beautiful town and nice place to live (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Only go to school here if you're satisfied to live in a small town with 5 bars (in 8 reviews)

• Work-life balance depending on your position -- it was excellent for me, but isn't for everyone (in 4 reviews)

1. PhD Student

I have been working at Princeton University full-time

Pros

Best professors and classmates in the world. Relatively good stipend. Close to NYC.

Cons

Boring town. University is focused on undergraduates. Most graduate students are not interested in doing anything outside of their research.

2. Food Service Worker.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable job atmosphere and union. pay is not bad for being a food service worker. Good benefits, and some perks that make it worth staying at job.

Cons

No work over the summer; no advancement or promotional opportunities. Need to know someone or be related to someone to get hired in other positions.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to train people. Don't be afrid to make decisions on your own. Be more compassionate toward employees.

3. associate vice president

Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

location, benefits, atmosphere, work conditions

Cons

salary, pension, 401k, job security

Advice to Management

provide employees with a retirement plan

5. Good place for graduate study, still has some issues.

Current Employee - PhD Student in New York, NY
    Current Employee - PhD Student in New York, NY

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very competitive fellowship (compared to national), lots of internal grants for more research $$, not many bureaucratic hoops to jump through. Career outcomes are much better than many other schools. Beautiful campus. Lack of professional schools (save for the MPA at Woodrow Wilson) means more attention is focused on research and students are very serious about their academic pursuits.

Cons

Very subpar health insurance. Limited affordable housing on campus and in the area. Lack of bureaucracy can also mean that many processes remain mysterious and frustrating. Needs to work on diversity and support for diverse populations. Too much focus on undergraduate population at the expense of graduate students.

Advice to Management

Please, please better health insurance options for graduate students. The current plan has undergraduates in mind who are primarily on their parents' insurances. The health center on campus is good but graduate work often requires us to travel outside of the Princeton area and health care options are extremely lacking. (No coverage for a woman's annual, for instance!)

Self-employment can be fun, but comes with risks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can set my own hours, work at home, and set my own rates. I choose my clients and deal directly with them. I can keep up with industry design styles and trends instead of being overly bound to internal style guidelines.

Cons

Sometimes I'm not collaborating with anyone else and that can get lonely. I need to set up very strong contract in order to get paid.

7. Graduate research assistant

I have been working at Princeton University full-time

Pros

very collegial working environment A great place to learn as a graduate student, many talented students to surround yourself with

Cons

the town is very small, the social life around Princeton is very limited

8. Technical Support Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in academic environment focusing on teaching and research. Working with world-class faculty and students. Opportunities for employee training and personal development. Many employees stay a long time.

Cons

Salary compensation could be more competitive considering location between New York and Philadelphia. Cost of living near Princeton University campus is relatively high.

Advice to Management

Higher educational institutions should make it a priority to help their employees and staff in financing the rising costs of higher education and health care expenses.

9. graduate student

I have been working at Princeton University (Less than a year)

Pros

great academic atmosphere, great materials and facilities

Cons

no cons except sometimes too much pressure and stress

Graduate student at Princeton University, life science department

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Princeton offers a beautiful campus, a generous stipend, and average healthcare benefits for its graduate students. The gym is free, although special fitness courses cost a per-class fee. Most PhDs offer you a masters degree after qualifying, which isn't true everywhere. It seems like they are trying to take steps to get their graduate students hired in the 'real world', given the terrible outlook for postdocs in academia. Not sure that the PIs understand this, however.

Cons

Princeton is an undergraduate-centered university. The department claims you will be able to choose your TA position -- not true, unless your PI is teaching a class and they specifically ask for you. Management depends on the PI you work for. Some are kind, some are abusive verbally / emotionally, but that isn't uncommon in this field. This behavior doesn't seem to be acknowledged by the department or "higher ups"... horrible PI's keep getting promoted. the student community is poor, enthusiasm is low, and departments don't do much to counteract this.

Advice to Management

faculty members should be rewarded based on a more broad set of criteria than just publications and grants. be aware of how your staff and students are being treated.

11. Awesome

Former Employee - Connecticut in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Connecticut in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University part-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Great environment

Cons

Tedious work at certain times.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for hour shifts

RSS Feed </> Embed