Princeton University

Princeton University Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber

Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area (in 13 reviews)

• Great working environment, beautiful town and nice place to live (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a small town, and a relatively small University (in 8 reviews)

• Untenured professors or other work-driven profs may treat graduate students poorly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Lab research group

Researcher (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGreat work environment. Nice, friendly staff and a nurturing environment for growth.

ConsInitial hiring process can be bureaucratic, requiring trips to various buildings spread across campus to get all the required signatures.

good

Campus Representative (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosgreat atmosphere. supervisors at office were always friendly and enthusiastic and willing to help employees with advancement within the company

Consdidnt experience anything particularly challenging because i worked a part time student job and didnt spend any real time in the office

Advice to Senior Managementgood work

Wonderful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsTerrific leadership, intellectually stimulating environment, ample resources, beautiful setting, runs like a well-oiled machine - with lovely facilities, overall very positive environment with highly competent and respectful staff, lots of programs to encourage overall staff well-being, great benefits overall.

ConsStaff are second-class citizens (compared to faculty, students and postdocs). Compensation is good upon entry, but there are systems in place that make it hard to get a decent raise if you stay in the same job but take on increasing responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the promotion and raise system. In the current structure, someone whose job grows significantly has a big incentive to transfer to another position in order to get an appropriate raise - because it is difficult to increase the salary in a meaningful way even when the official job level is raised.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review as a grad student

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe geographical environment is excellent. One of the most scenic campuses I have ever been. Less worry about fundings. Very prestigious in academic community.

ConsThe housing is getting limited for grad students. The postdoc salary is no good. Most departments are small in size so hard to find relevant courses sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudent health insurance can be better.

Not Worth It

Lab Manager (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGood facilities, and intellectual environment.

ConsUnsupportive Human Resources department, in my experience. Be forewarned: they are definitely not there for you, but for the university. This won't be hard to see as they don't particularly care to hide it.

When I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that if I didn't want the job, there was a long line of people who would be only too happy to replace me! It was quite shocking to be spoken to with such disdain and to be seen as so dispensible, all before the first day at work! If you notice these things and can afford to, forgo the prestige of working here as it is not worth it in the end - it will not get any better and you will save yourself from the stress and trauam that comes from working in an undermining environment..

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your "lower level" employess, such as lab techs. Pay more attention to how your PIs are treating their lab staff. Put procedures in place to get feedback from them. on operations.

Can't wait to graduate and leave Princeton!

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe university does a relatively good job of activities on campus and trips to the city etc. Unfortunately these don't really make up for living in such a small town. The academics are amazing however, generally very good teachers, seminars and research.

ConsI would say the majority of graduate students at Princeton would not recommend it. I was warned by several past students and successful Professors, but I thought I knew better. Only go to school here if you're satisfied to live in a small town with 5 bars.

Very demanding work culture

Lecturer (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIt's Princeton. You get the chance to meet with the world's most renowned researchers, professors, and scientists from almost all areas of study, and the smartest students from around the world.

ConsAlthough you work and live in the best university in the world, it is hard to really enjoy all the benefits that would first come to anyone who heard about your job--you simply have no time. The work would take up all your time and it was rarely the case that you could have a weekend all to yourself, regardless of the fact that you've been working really really hard on weekdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for just 26 weeks per year is the nature of all teaching jobs. It cannot be taken as a legitimate explanation for giving your employees twice as much work as they could handle during that 26 weeks.

There is no better place to get an education.

Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsLots of resources to provide students with. Buildings are beautiful and state of the art, faculty are second to none and the students that you learn around are among the best in the world.

ConsVery heavy focus on finance/consulting regarding career counseling and opportunities. If uninterested in these fields, much of the work must be done on your own.

Great environment for PhD candidate

PhD Candidate (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsFull funding (though I was supported through external fellowships for my whole stay). Many very smart people. Clean energy is receiving a much stronger focus these days, so that is a good area to be in here.

ConsEverything here is very fundamental.... not so many people doing applied work. This is good for fundamental science, but not as good for engineering.

Great Job

Student Part-Time Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteractive, Engaging, Large variety of work to be done. Encouraged to problem-solve and find creative solutions. Helpful knowledge-base to address common issues that customers may have. The equipment is state of the art and lends itself to easy on the job learning. Pay is very good and the office environment is friendly.

ConsWorkload can vary based on the time of year.

Worked for Princeton University? Contribute to the Community!