Princeton University

Princeton University Reviews in Trenton, NJ

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Princeton University President Christopher L. Eisgruber

Christopher L. Eisgruber

Pros
  • Beautiful campus and surrounding area(in 13 reviews)

• The labs are close together which create a very collaborative working environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a small town, and a relatively small University(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance depending on your position -- it was excellent for me, but isn't for everyone(in 3 reviews)

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lab research group

Researcher (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGreat work environment. Nice, friendly staff and a nurturing environment for growth.

ConsInitial hiring process can be bureaucratic, requiring trips to various buildings spread across campus to get all the required signatures.

Wonderful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsTerrific leadership, intellectually stimulating environment, ample resources, beautiful setting, runs like a well-oiled machine - with lovely facilities, overall very positive environment with highly competent and respectful staff, lots of programs to encourage overall staff well-being, great benefits overall.

ConsStaff are second-class citizens (compared to faculty, students and postdocs). Compensation is good upon entry, but there are systems in place that make it hard to get a decent raise if you stay in the same job but take on increasing responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the promotion and raise system. In the current structure, someone whose job grows significantly has a big incentive to transfer to another position in order to get an appropriate raise - because it is difficult to increase the salary in a meaningful way even when the official job level is raised.

Review as a grad student

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe geographical environment is excellent. One of the most scenic campuses I have ever been. Less worry about fundings. Very prestigious in academic community.

ConsThe housing is getting limited for grad students. The postdoc salary is no good. Most departments are small in size so hard to find relevant courses sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudent health insurance can be better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is no better place to get an education.

Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsLots of resources to provide students with. Buildings are beautiful and state of the art, faculty are second to none and the students that you learn around are among the best in the world.

ConsVery heavy focus on finance/consulting regarding career counseling and opportunities. If uninterested in these fields, much of the work must be done on your own.

Can't wait to graduate and leave Princeton!

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe university does a relatively good job of activities on campus and trips to the city etc. Unfortunately these don't really make up for living in such a small town. The academics are amazing however, generally very good teachers, seminars and research.

ConsI would say the majority of graduate students at Princeton would not recommend it. I was warned by several past students and successful Professors, but I thought I knew better. Only go to school here if you're satisfied to live in a small town with 5 bars.

Very demanding work culture

Lecturer (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIt's Princeton. You get the chance to meet with the world's most renowned researchers, professors, and scientists from almost all areas of study, and the smartest students from around the world.

ConsAlthough you work and live in the best university in the world, it is hard to really enjoy all the benefits that would first come to anyone who heard about your job--you simply have no time. The work would take up all your time and it was rarely the case that you could have a weekend all to yourself, regardless of the fact that you've been working really really hard on weekdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for just 26 weeks per year is the nature of all teaching jobs. It cannot be taken as a legitimate explanation for giving your employees twice as much work as they could handle during that 26 weeks.

Great environment for PhD candidate

PhD Candidate (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsFull funding (though I was supported through external fellowships for my whole stay). Many very smart people. Clean energy is receiving a much stronger focus these days, so that is a good area to be in here.

ConsEverything here is very fundamental.... not so many people doing applied work. This is good for fundamental science, but not as good for engineering.

Challenging

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsLots of interesting people to talk to. Very good academics. Enjoy walking around campus. Very flexible schedule.

ConsUnrealistic expectations of advisers. Very little idea of future direction. Not a great place for engineers to start a career. Many people just do consulting of finance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate more with engineering companies.

Princeton U. treat employee very well

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGood administration system. Many procedure can be done online. Save your time for research. People are so nice and helpful.

Cons(1) The living cost is pretty high there.
    (2) Public transportation system is not very good around the town. Basically, driving is required if not living in the campus.

Great place with few setbacks

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIvy league institute with knowledgeable and field-leading researchers. The benefits are great, parking is free and the campus is beautiful.

ConsLack of a directly affiliated hospital means biomedical/translational research is limited . Hence, there is a heavy focus on fundamental basic science. Campus and Princeton at large can feel exceedingly slow if you come from a big city.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work and expand the scope of the biological sciences, especially in genomics.

Worked for Princeton University? Contribute to the Community!