Principal Financial
www.principal.com Des Moines, IA 5000+ Employees

Principal Financial Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Principal Financial – Hong Kong – “Hong Kong Office”

Principal Financial President, CEO, and Director Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, talented work force, work-life balance, very good culture"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines"
    in 11 reviews
  • "could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress)"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Application Developer Intern

IT Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial as an intern for less than a year

ProsThis is a great company not only to intern at but to start a career. Management is really open to intern ideas and ways that they can make the program better. A big beneficial part of the IT intern program is taking the opportunity explore other IT roles.

ConsThere weren't any cons of being an intern for this company. My voice was continually heard and they are really great at giving constructive feedback during the internship as well as formally at the end of the internship.

I interviewed and was hired as a Investment Advisor Representative with this company. The process was smooth but long.

Investment Advisor Representative (Current Employee)
Roseville, CA

I have been working at Principal Financial as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThey are really concerned with that the applicant understands the difficulty of the road ahead.

ConsThe testing phase is without pay. An applicant is required to cover the costs of the tests/prep, can be over $1000.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management is doing a good job of informing and inspiring potential job applicants.

Intern

I have been working at Principal Financial

ProsFun, Challenging, Welcoming, Good Pay, Good experience

ConsCity can be small, Difficult to meet people, Iowa complex

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a man you will fit right in and be treated like royalty. Women steer clear. I regret making this career move.

Nashville, TN

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time

ProsIf you are a man the office manager will love you and let you work your own schedule, get special treatment, etc.

ConsGender bias..men are wonderful, women..ehhhh, bullying by management. Senior management doesn't listen to employees at office level when they complain about a manager. Not following legal and ethical guidelines like they should. Doing whatever it takes to make the sale at all costs. Management thinks they are above the law for some reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Take complaints seriously and do something about it. Treat all employees fairly whether they are hourly, salary, male or female.

Good place to work

CTT (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial as a contractor for more than a year

Prosthe work I did wasn't too difficult so I came in everyday knowing what to do and what was expected.

ConsI wasnt sure of how far I could move up, there weren't that many opportunities to move up, atleast in my division.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Global perspective from solid company

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal perspective and lots of capital for growth.

ConsSlow to capitalize on what they have. Self perspective of outsiders being more capable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees to pursue growth not buy it and overspend.

Positive Internship

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat corporate culture, accessible HR and excellent management/guidance

ConsVery poor peripheral perks: food, drink, office layout, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Principal Financial is an excellent place to work!

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits, good pay, very supportive of work/life balance, maintains a positive working environment, focused on employee safety, lives core values

ConsTechnology efforts are typically focused on client experience. Would like to see more technology enhancements aimed at the internal employee experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure all senior leaders are focused on the greater good of the organization, not solely focused on what the see as good for just their business unit

Outstanding company and leadership

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey do the right thing and live the core values of (Financial stretch integrity, customer service, operational excellence and ee development). They are well respected in the industry.

ConsDemanding environment, they do not suffer fools well. I would encourage friends and family to apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage management to get out and see the employees more often, they enjoy greatly hearing your thought sand perspectives directly.

Lots of perks, not very family orientated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Grand Island, NE

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey are a big company, so the perks are endless. Not only do they have an onsite workout room, they occasionally offer fitness classes onsite. Their are many business in town that offer you a discount just by showing them your badge. You tend to develop a 'work family' with the others you work around. A real sense of community among co-workers. The benefits package is great. Compensation is adequate. Some days of the week they have local vendors come in so that you can purchase lunch without leaving the building.

ConsThey say the work ours are flexible, but that is only when they aren't giving you mandatory overtime (OT) to work on a weekly basis. Very hard to balance work and family. When you don't work the OT, it is frowned upon and you get passed up for raises and promotions. The 2nd position I held there that I worked for over 2 years, was sent to India and the closed my department down and we all had to look for other positions (inside or outside the company).

Advice to Senior ManagementTo burnt out to give any advice.

Worked for Principal Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Principal Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Principal Financial CEO Larry D. Zimpleman. All 165 reviews posted anonymously by Principal Financial employees.