Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews in Des Moines, IA

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
4.0

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company this Millennial will retire from.

Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a 10 year + employee of the Principal Financial Group, I am happy with the opportunities, the stability, and the benefits the company has to offer. I buy into the " the grass isn't always greener on the other side" mindset as I've seen peers leave and quickly want to come back. If you are someone that works hard and continues to develop, opportunities will be presented.

Cons

As I suspect is true of most large companies, navigating the political scene can be taxing.

Continue to pave the way and mold the talent you have. Find ways to continue to develop and promote the talent you have.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and great culture

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth

Great place to work!

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time

Pros

The people at this company make it a great environment for young professionals. Many employees of PFG have been at the company for a number of years (or have gone elsewhere and come back to the company) and are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences. Might role might be different than other areas of the company, but I am always being challenged with new and increasingly more important responsibilities. This company also likes places a high value on employees having a healthy lifestyle and encourages work life balance and regular exercise.

Cons

PFG has been making very concerted efforts to improve diversity, but it is hard considering Iowa as a whole lacks diversity, and it is not in a major metropolitan city.

Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non contributory pension plan in addition to 401k.
    Great work/life balance. If you have an emergency and have to take time off they are very understanding. Good amount of paid time off. My salary is higher than for comparable positions with other companies.
    Opportunities to work from home in a lot of departments.

Cons

Medical benefits have high copays until you max out your contributions.
    Difficult to get another position from some departments although they heavily promote from within.

Promote more from within!

My search is over- I'm sold!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that really values their employees from full-time staff to interns. Senior management is very accessible, the culture is fun and inviting, and the opportunities are endless. This is an incredible company for those looking for a 'career company'. I got hooked on the values, the transparency and most of all, the people. I look forward to seeing further global expansion and growth and returning for a full-time position post graduation.

Cons

I do not think my experience would have been the same if I had not worked in the headquarter office in Des Moines.

Best Internship program yet!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The program was well-structured, they provided you with a mentor within your team as well as an available leader to help you with anything you needed. I enjoyed the programs that they put on just for interns such as listening to upper level executives speak & professional development seminars. The pay was great too, and they hook you up with housing nearby!

Cons

There isn't a lot of internship to full-time conversion if you aren't in the IT field.

"Great people and work"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. everyone was really friendly and good at their jobs. I was given a lot of responsibility and feedback on my work.

Cons

It took them 6 weeks to get my security clearance set up. That's fine for full time employees, but not for an intern who is only there for 12.

Work on the on boarding process

Great place to earn your wings, not so good once you have them.

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life balance is good in most areas. Retirement benefits are great, you get 401K and a pension. Onsite fitness center. Other benefits are OK. The people you work with are generally top notch, teams have a family feel. Some employees can work from home or remote.

Cons

If you work in a SCBU you'll have to deal with political infighting among the various business units. Once you reach a "senior" level in your position opportunities for advancement are slim to non existent if you don't have direct reports. Its not uncommon for senior staff level employees to retire having spent the previous 20 years with the same job title. At times work-life balance can tilt heavily towards work. Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment. Another drawback is that during the remodeling some employees will get crammed into building with very little amenities.

Treat all employees like you treat interns and you will get world class results on the annual EOS.

Excellent at first but with a change of CEO and the recession the entire company culture changed.

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and excellent benefits. Ample opportunities for development.

Cons

Ineffective leadership at the team and department levels. A company culture that was more talk that action. Many things the company supported were not liked or supported by team and department leadership so those areas just missed out. When Barry Griswell was CEO there was a real "people" culture. When I left it was all about metrics, numbers and reporting. The people were undervalued, not recognized, and overworked.

Make sure leaders/managers at all levels know how to support what HR promotes as the company culture. Fix the review system which is completely broken.

Great first and last Internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Real Project Experience
    Encouraged to Learn
    Leaders including Dan Houston willing to meet with Interns

Cons

Lots of first time internships.

Continue to invest in Interns as a source of new technology.

Principal Financial Group Photos