Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews in Des Moines, IA

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
4.2

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

IT interns are treated well.

Former Intern - IT Infrastructure Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - IT Infrastructure Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees at Principal treat the interns like coworkers and not just observers. You are given real work and get to see a great workplace culture.

Cons

It does take a while to get used to the acronyms and campus. There were days when there was no work for me to do.

Good company with fun people

Current Intern - Applications Developer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - Applications Developer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, decent pay, flexible hours

Cons

Unfulfilling work that is typically pretty boring

Marketing Communications

Former Employee - Communications Strategist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Communications Strategist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule for most, on-site cafeteria, connected to skywalks, daycare provided

Cons

I was with the company for 10 years in marketing/communications. I had 10 different bosses in those years, due to shifting and restructuring. Some bosses were great; others were not. When I got back from maternity leave, I was treated like I had a bad disease - no more working from home, my responsibilities got cut and I had to be in my chair by X time, even though I was salaried and had excellent reviews before. It got so bad, I had to go on meds, and then I just had to leave. So it all depends on who you work for.

Train your middle managers on how to be leaders.

Good company to work for

Former Intern - Communications Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - Communications Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and great culture

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time

Pros

The people at this company make it a great environment for young professionals. Many employees of PFG have been at the company for a number of years (or have gone elsewhere and come back to the company) and are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences. Might role might be different than other areas of the company, but I am always being challenged with new and increasingly more important responsibilities. This company also likes places a high value on employees having a healthy lifestyle and encourages work life balance and regular exercise.

Cons

PFG has been making very concerted efforts to improve diversity, but it is hard considering Iowa as a whole lacks diversity, and it is not in a major metropolitan city.

A company this Millennial will retire from.

Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Strategist in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a 10 year + employee of the Principal Financial Group, I am happy with the opportunities, the stability, and the benefits the company has to offer. I buy into the " the grass isn't always greener on the other side" mindset as I've seen peers leave and quickly want to come back. If you are someone that works hard and continues to develop, opportunities will be presented.

Cons

As I suspect is true of most large companies, navigating the political scene can be taxing.

Continue to pave the way and mold the talent you have. Find ways to continue to develop and promote the talent you have.

My search is over- I'm sold!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that really values their employees from full-time staff to interns. Senior management is very accessible, the culture is fun and inviting, and the opportunities are endless. This is an incredible company for those looking for a 'career company'. I got hooked on the values, the transparency and most of all, the people. I look forward to seeing further global expansion and growth and returning for a full-time position post graduation.

Cons

I do not think my experience would have been the same if I had not worked in the headquarter office in Des Moines.

Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Non contributory pension plan in addition to 401k.
    Great work/life balance. If you have an emergency and have to take time off they are very understanding. Good amount of paid time off. My salary is higher than for comparable positions with other companies.
    Opportunities to work from home in a lot of departments.

Cons

Medical benefits have high copays until you max out your contributions.
    Difficult to get another position from some departments although they heavily promote from within.

Promote more from within!

Best Internship program yet!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The program was well-structured, they provided you with a mentor within your team as well as an available leader to help you with anything you needed. I enjoyed the programs that they put on just for interns such as listening to upper level executives speak & professional development seminars. The pay was great too, and they hook you up with housing nearby!

Cons

There isn't a lot of internship to full-time conversion if you aren't in the IT field.

"Great people and work"

Former Intern - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. everyone was really friendly and good at their jobs. I was given a lot of responsibility and feedback on my work.

Cons

It took them 6 weeks to get my security clearance set up. That's fine for full time employees, but not for an intern who is only there for 12.

Work on the on boarding process

Principal Financial Group Photos