Principal Financial Group
www.principal.com Des Moines, IA 5000+ Employees

Principal Financial Group Reviews in Iowa

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong work life balance.

Intern (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsFlexed hours. New workspace. Good compensation.

ConsDisconnected hr from other departments.

Principal is a good place to work.

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsThe pay is good, the benefits are great, the work place is nice and comfortable. They are in the process of renovating buildings so the environment is great.

ConsThe managers in the department that I work in are kept very busy and they can be difficult to find when you need them because of frequent meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Great internship experience

Intern - Principal Global Investors (Former Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsGained a lot of knowledge and was able to meaning contribute to the team. Also had a good work/life balance.

ConsPay for interns was not outstanding and they provided only modest help with finding housing for interns relocating from out of state.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved working at this company, great values and dedicated workers

Financial Accountant Intern (Former Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsThe Principal is like a family, everyone is on the same team and tries to help out one another. Most supervisors want to help their subordinates grow and progress in their careers. Also, great place to enjoy fun company events.

ConsMost everything that I saw was great, I really cannot think much of the cons of this particular company, other than to request for educational benefits if seeking to attend college while working.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say, I always promote educational opportunities to your employees.

Encouraging atmosphere

Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsThe people are wonderful. Everyone on my team was always willing to help you out!

ConsThy pay (for a contract) was not as competitive as I had hoped (but still good).

Fantastic company, people, management!

Vice President of Sales (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsThe Principal Financial Group is a great company. Very well regarded in investment management globally and retirement services in the US and globally. Award winning company in IT, employer for women, diversity, innovation.

ConsOpportunity to do challenging work here. fast paced.

Great flexibility and culture

Des Moines, IA

ProsFlexibility in schedule, where we work, how work gets done. Flexibility is not only offered, but also encouraged! Co-workers, benefits and pay are great. Ethics/doing the right thing is a focus of this company. Love that we have PTO since it's so much easier to manage.

ConsParking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate openly with employees. Much appreciated!

Great career balance and competitive total compensation

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsThe Principal is a force in the community of Des Moines which provides a lot of advantages to the employees. Individual managers have a lot of discretion on HR policies within their team which creates a very comfortable environment with a great work life balance.

ConsWhile base salaries may be slightly below national averages you will see for similar positions, the total compensation package and overall benefits definitely make up for it.

Company touts values that are not seen in the day to day culture

IT Applications Analyst Senior (Former Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsGood to place to work for women in IT. They ensure a high percentage of women leadership. Total compensation package is good.

ConsIntegrity of upper management and leaders in departments is suspect. Career advancement and Salary is too dependent on cronyism and favorites. Low performance is tolerated and hard work is not necessarily rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest. Practice what you preach.

Good company

IT Applications Associate - Lead (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsFlexible schedule, talented work force, work-life balance, very good culture.

ConsHard to get noticed. Work place politic. Not a lot of opportunities within the company. Compensation is fair but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. The company needs to adapt and innovate to stay ahead of the competition.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Principal Financial Group reviews and ratings in Iowa — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Principal Financial Group CEO Larry D. Zimpleman. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by Principal Financial Group employees.