Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
234 reviews filtered by
3.9
Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

The team in San Diego is amazing. The Managing Director, Gary Lu, puts his advisors first and would do anything to help us with support. Having been with several other companies, Principal is the best out there. Great environment, awesome leadership and the best support in the industry!

Cons

It seems like the majority of the support comes out of the Irvine office, but the seniority and team to work with is in San Diego.

Advice to Management

The management team is awesome. Gary and Jeff are true professionals who dedicate so much time and resources for their advisors. Principal was rated one of the top companies to work for and I can definitely see why.

2. Open, fair and honest

Current Employee - Communicator in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Communicator in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ethical company, lives its values; great leadership (the Presidents and CEO are so accessible and genuine); financially strong; numerous opportunities; making an investment in Des Moines campus to really improve the workplace. Also, #63 on recent Forbes list of 500 best employers. That's HUGE!

Cons

As with any company with longevity in a market, some of the more tenured employees are slow to let go of the way things used to be

Advice to Management

I know it goes against Midwest values - but brag more.

3. Principal

Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service in Grand Island, NE

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

good working environment
    good benefits
    access to gym
    lots of events
    flexible schedule
    good teamwork
    good environment
    laid back

Cons

I don't have very many cons other than you can be scheduled different hours everyday, if that's something you are willing to work with then it wouldn't be a problem. other than that I would say just the usual office hours you work, by the time you get out everything else is also closed so I have to ask for time off for dr. appointments and stuff like that

Advice to Management

I think everything is fine, I have had one disagreement and it is if you have something to talk to me about that is bothering anyone talk to me about it in private and not in front of other co-workers because that's how rumors and speculations start often.

5. client services representative

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time

Pros

Decent salary, super benefits, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

It's all about making their almost unobtainable "numbers"

Advice to Management

Get back to making sure that the customers needs are met

6. Went looking for a job and found a career/passion.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Mount Pleasant, SC

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is amazing, the support staff is almost and less and their expertise in the field has made my job so much easier. I have found when I don't feel comfortable talking about a product we offer that I can very quickly find someone who is an expert to guide me. If you work hard they are very good about rewarding you for your efforts and promotions come very quickly.

Cons

The office is still small, and the previous director was retiring so we have had to start fresh with the local office

Advice to Management

A larger marketing budget would help us grow our footprint in Charleston.

7. A company founded in Iowa values with international vision.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Great work life balance, pushed to excel but in a healthy manner, great benefits, the food around the work was great, friendly and down to earth management and coworkers, active in the community.

Cons

Pay is not comparable to other companies in the industry. They have a lot of outlets to communicate what you think should change in the company, but sometimes it feels as if they don't listen.

Advice to Management

If the management wants to continue expanding, they need to keep their down to earth and friendly vibe, but recognize that ultimately what will attract top talent is a competitive pay. They need to look at the pay of their employees. Maybe also make climbing the career ladder a bit clearer.

8. Excellent pay, benefits and work life balance at Principal. I'm proud to call Principal Financial Group my employer.

Current Employee - Director in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Director in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership, work life balance, autonomy, development, pay and benefits

Cons

Normal large company red tape.

9. Working as an IT Intern

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Many opportunities to meet full-time employees. Many intern events, both for networking and for play.

Cons

Interns are not given the ability to work from home, and have some less flexibility in their schedule than full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with the program. Felt like a full employee for most of the internship, and enjoyed being a part of the company.

10. Solid Company with good reputation. I have worked for the company for many years and have learned a great deal while gr

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, they do encourage career growth and community involvement. They also offer wellness facilities on cite and promote the use of that.

Cons

Culture has definitely changed since going public. I understand we need to be accountable to share holders now but we also need to be accountable to our customers (customers are still #1) and it seems like we are sacrificing customer service at times to cut corners.

Advice to Management

Keeping good employees on board and promoting and paying them well might be better than continually hiring and training new employees.

11. Great Company

Former Intern - IT Applications Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Former Intern - IT Applications Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Principal is a great company that I enjoyed working for.
    They have great benefits and above average pay for the state.
    The corporate management seem to really care about their company.

Cons

Don't spend a lot on training.

Principal Financial Group Photos