Principal Financial Group Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • Great work life balance as very less work pressure (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress) (in 7 reviews)

1. Great Company - Good Organization

Current Employee - Video Editor & Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Video Editor & Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA

Pros

- Good communication within specific teams - Knowledgable professionals - Competitive incentives

Cons

- I've had some technical issues accessing remote servers and software. This is not completely on their end, or one sided. My supervisor has made leaps and bounds to improve remote protocols for contract workers. I have already seen an improvement.

Advice to Management

Great staff, caring, understanding and knowledgable!

2. Great Branch Management Staff

Former Employee - Investment Advisor Representative in Cassville, GA
    Former Employee - Investment Advisor Representative in Cassville, GA

I worked at Principal Financial Group (More than a year)

Pros

The Principal Financial Group has a great management staff.

Cons

You must provide your own leads. Good Luck!

3. Good place to work and develop. Moving up is tough

Current Employee - Financial Advisor/Senior Retirement Planning Counselor in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Principal Financial Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great. I'm not micromanaged, but cant say that's true for everyone. My boss leaves me alone because I am productive and do what needs to be done. Pay is okay, but could be better. Great people, great values. I feel like they care about me as a person

Cons

Minor promotions early in my career were easy, but once I arrived at a mid career point, the opportunities were minimal. Its much easier to move up if you are willing to move anywhere, or if you stay in the home office in Des Moines. If you are not in Des Moines, its easy to feel like you are almost completely on your own.

Advice to Management

when you ask for feedback from employees, do something with it. I cant tell you how many times my group has been asked for feedback only to have upper management go in a direction completely different than what our group suggested, or just disregard requests and move on with no explanation.

5. Good company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Company cares about community.

Cons

Advancement is slow moving

6. Great Company to Start With

Pros

Benefits are great, flexibility is a bonus, work-life balance is awesome, office structure flows well, sales conference

Cons

Poor management, disconnect between home office and satellite offices, communication needs to improve between all levels of company

Advice to Management

There needs to be more open and honest communication to help the offices run smoother

7. Great experience

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern in Des Moines, IA

Pros

They know how to treat their interns well.

Cons

Low intern compensation compared to other IT companies

Everyone Is A Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being one of Central Iowa's largest employers, working for Principal gave me a sense of accomplishment - that I was good enough to work for an organization that had been around as long as they have been.

Cons

They've addressed it since I was there, but working in Corporate One at the time was a dour affair. No amenities and a generally depressing environment. Aside from that, Principal is a big ship to steer and they don't make a move without countess meetings. I would characterize the culture as risk-averse and not very innovative. They're very focused on trying to keep everything on an even keel. But they've no qualms about putting profit before people.

Advice to Management

Principal has a bad habit of promoting people into management positions as a means of retaining talent. Not everyone is well-suited to management. Try cultivating a culture of inclusion with lower-ranking staff. You'll get more buy-in from them.

9. Great place to work

Pros

Great place to work. Strong culture.

Cons

Flight availability at local airport.

10. Great Benefits, poor pay

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time

Pros

The benefits offered were great, the Prenatal and Pregnancy benefits were great and had a limit on out of pocket maximum that were better than the just normal health care benefits. Not sure if its still around but was great when we were having kids

Cons

The pay was not great, I was located in a remote office was was getting paid less compared to counterparts that worked in Des Moines that would get paid more because of living cost was greater. Also didn't like the environment that the checkers on our work would essentially be the ones in control of us getting a raise or not. We were also limited on how many people in the department that were able to get raises due to budget limitations and it was very cutthroat.

Advice to Management

Review lower employee feedback and morale as that is why I left.

11. Take inbound calls

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Grand Island, NE

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best benefits in town. Work in a nice office environment with the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

There is little room for advancement based on this location. If you are will to re-locate the opportunities are higher Required overtime and sometimes you cannot get the time off you requested.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff

RSS Feed </> Embed