Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • work life balance, collaborative work culture, approachable leadership, good salaries (in 38 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 11 reviews)

• could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Give your friends the promotion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages.

ConsThis could have simply been my department, but mistakes were never forgotten, no matter how large or small. Promotions and job recommendations were given to friendlies instead of the most qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with experience in managing people!

Great company to work for.

ProsGreat values and business ethics

ConsNot a whole lot of work life balance

Great career balance and competitive total compensation

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsThe Principal is a force in the community of Des Moines which provides a lot of advantages to the employees. Individual managers have a lot of discretion on HR policies within their team which creates a very comfortable environment with a great work life balance.

ConsWhile base salaries may be slightly below national averages you will see for similar positions, the total compensation package and overall benefits definitely make up for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great training and great products

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat company, great training and great products

Cons100% commission after training period

Not for "go getters"

ProsIT Specific: Some parts of the company are surely "OK". However, you may spend 20 years trying to find that area that fits you. It is nice being downtown with access to the skywalks. Generally, nobody tries to micromanage you.

ConsIT Specific: If you can do lots of things, don't bother here. They want people to be "siloed" and focus on your one tiny piece. Then you can fight the layers upon layers of nonsense to get any little thing done. There are so many redundant groups full of way too many people. The company is not nimble, and they have meetings upon meetings over discussing how things should be done.

Company touts values that are not seen in the day to day culture

IT Applications Analyst Senior (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsGood to place to work for women in IT. They ensure a high percentage of women leadership. Total compensation package is good.

ConsIntegrity of upper management and leaders in departments is suspect. Career advancement and Salary is too dependent on cronyism and favorites. Low performance is tolerated and hard work is not necessarily rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest. Practice what you preach.

NEVER AGAIN

Individual Investor Specialist II (Former Employee) Grand Island, NE

ProsThe pay was competitive for the area.

ConsIt was hard to be recognized as a valuable employee. When you're one among hundreds of call center reps you just become a small person in a big crowd. It never felt like management actually cared about you as an employee - only your call handling time, soft sale numbers, and pitches for other products mattered. There was no support for our teams during the largest recession in recent history. We dealt with unhappy customers, folks losing their jobs, trying to cash out their retirement plans just to make ends meet..it was depressing and management couldn't or wouldn't recognize the effort the ee's went through.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're more than machines. Treat us with respect and dignity.

Caring local folks goals which quickly became unbelievable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFreedom within job to excel, great home office staff.

Consdoubling already high goals each year was crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at who the sales managers are and how they treat their people.

They support success and invest in your training

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPrincipal Financial Group is a great insurance and investments company. They have a good corporate culture and everyone - from support staff to underwriting, lead generation, marketing, and division leads - will go out of their way to help you become a success. The benefits are very good and the opportunities are almost endless.

ConsIf you are entering the financial services market for the first time, as a sales representative, then you may become one of many who enter the field and decide to move on. It takes a special person to survive and thrive in a commission's only position. Few do. It doesn't matter what your college degree was, or what your career path has been, if you can understand and explain the product, understand what the clients/prospects are looking for, ask for and get the sale, and provide fabulous customer service, you can make it. There are those who are mega-successes who once were teachers, actors/stuntmen, etc. And there are those with business degrees who don't know how to sell or maintain relationships with clients. It all depends on the individual. It's just a high turnover industry.

And by the way, I stayed for only 18 months before I knew I wasn't meant for a Financial Services Representative (sales) position. But that doesn't negate how good of a company Principal Financial Group is.

Good company

IT Applications Associate - Lead (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsFlexible schedule, talented work force, work-life balance, very good culture.

ConsHard to get noticed. Work place politic. Not a lot of opportunities within the company. Compensation is fair but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. The company needs to adapt and innovate to stay ahead of the competition.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!