Principal Financial Group Reviews

Reset

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

The team in San Diego is amazing. The Managing Director, Gary Lu, puts his advisors first and would do anything to help us with support. Having been with several other companies, Principal is the best out there. Great environment, awesome leadership and the best support in the industry!

Cons

It seems like the majority of the support comes out of the Irvine office, but the seniority and team to work with is in San Diego.

Advice to Management

The management team is awesome. Gary and Jeff are true professionals who dedicate so much time and resources for their advisors. Principal was rated one of the top companies to work for and I can definitely see why.

Open, fair and honest

Current Employee - Communicator in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Communicator in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ethical company, lives its values; great leadership (the Presidents and CEO are so accessible and genuine); financially strong; numerous opportunities; making an investment in Des Moines campus to really improve the workplace. Also, #63 on recent Forbes list of 500 best employers. That's HUGE!

Cons

As with any company with longevity in a market, some of the more tenured employees are slow to let go of the way things used to be

Advice to Management

I know it goes against Midwest values - but brag more.

3. Principal

Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Corporate Customer Service in Grand Island, NE

Pros

good working environment good benefits access to gym lots of events flexible schedule good teamwork good environment laid back

Cons

I don't have very many cons other than you can be scheduled different hours everyday, if that's something you are willing to work with then it wouldn't be a problem. other than that I would say just the usual office hours you work, by the time you get out everything else is also closed so I have to ask for time off for dr. appointments and stuff like that

Advice to Management

I think everything is fine, I have had one disagreement and it is if you have something to talk to me about that is bothering anyone talk to me about it in private and not in front of other co-workers because that's how rumors and speculations start often.

5. Went looking for a job and found a career/passion.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Mount Pleasant, SC

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is amazing, the support staff is almost and less and their expertise in the field has made my job so much easier. I have found when I don't feel comfortable talking about a product we offer that I can very quickly find someone who is an expert to guide me. If you work hard they are very good about rewarding you for your efforts and promotions come very quickly.

Cons

The office is still small, and the previous director was retiring so we have had to start fresh with the local office

Advice to Management

A larger marketing budget would help us grow our footprint in Charleston.

6. Excellent pay, benefits and work life balance at Principal. I'm proud to call Principal Financial Group my employer.

Current Employee - Director in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Director in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership, work life balance, autonomy, development, pay and benefits

Cons

Normal large company red tape.

7. Solid Company with good reputation. I have worked for the company for many years and have learned a great deal while gr

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, they do encourage career growth and community involvement. They also offer wellness facilities on cite and promote the use of that.

Cons

Culture has definitely changed since going public. I understand we need to be accountable to share holders now but we also need to be accountable to our customers (customers are still #1) and it seems like we are sacrificing customer service at times to cut corners.

Advice to Management

Keeping good employees on board and promoting and paying them well might be better than continually hiring and training new employees.

8. Good company with fun people

Current Intern - Applications Developer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - Applications Developer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, decent pay, flexible hours

Cons

Unfulfilling work that is typically pretty boring

Good, then great...then horrible. Everything changed for the worse. Goodbye quality customer service.

Current Employee - Pension Call Centers in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Pension Call Centers in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Okay benefits. Not as good as competition.

Cons

Middle management no longer puts the customer first. Customers call fir help and get rushed off the phone. Instead of an eclectic group of financial professionals we morphed into unprofessional poorly educated call center employees. Hello Pune' call center. It's coming soon. Just a manner of time. .

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what lower middle management is doing. As a group they're untruthful and not trustworthy. Most of the quality employees have already left or looking to.

10. Real Estate Global Investors Internship

Pros

Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. Good working environment and decent entry level pay.

Cons

Really large company hard to move up ladder to get promoted. In Des Moines and okay pay.

Great benefits.

Current Employee - Investment Analyst
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst

Pros

Upper management is strong. Ethics are truly in place at that level

Cons

Mid level management is terrible. Most micro manage instead of working as a team to meet goals. Many good jobs have been moved to Pune India and more to follow because they'll work for $2.00 an hour. Very high turnover stateside.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to look into what middle management is doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed