Principal Marketing

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Excellent opportunity!

ProsThe skill sets you learn are not just extremely effective within this company, but can be applied to all aspects of life or future business opportunities. If you have a great attitude and work ethic you will be successful and grow at a rapid pace. You have the opportunity to travel all over the country and network with so many successful people. Co-workers and the office environment are extremely positive!

ConsRetail hours and you’re on your feet all day. If you are not mentally strong and don’t have some insoles, this may not be the best fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t be afraid to have critical conversations with an employee within his or her first week(s). It may help filter out those not mentally tough enough for this career path.

A fantastic opportunity for the right person.

Training Manager (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsYou have the opportunity to determine your growth and the pace at which you progress through the business. Hard work and the right attitude are rewarded with opportunities to travel, further develop your skill set as a business person, and have the opportunity to take on more responsibilities within the business. You will build a solid foundation for interacting with people in a business environment, and the skills you learn are transferable to any position in the business world.

ConsRetail schedule forces you to really work on time management, and it's a challenge until you get into the swing of the business. There are times where you may lose sight of the big picture if you're not careful, because it requires a big picture thinker for sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and be more selective in the interview process to weed out those who may not be mentally strong enough to handle the business.

For the love of God, don't work here

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsThey teach you the techniques to push their products.
    The people were nice.

ConsVery Deceptive. They pay 8.25 an hour/commission and you stand in a Sam's Club pushing various products. You are forced to attend a cult-like meeting every morning in a full suit, for which you are NOT PAID. Then you drive to a Sam's location or wait 4 hours to start a shift at a given Sam's Club. You will work 12 hours a day at this company, 6 days a week, and 4 or 5 of those hours in a day aren't paid for. You will not have a life working here, it is a very soul-sucking experience.

I quit after 3 weeks of training/employment, with 1 day in the actual field. I was sent a paycheck of $35. This is a TOTAL SCAM, be sure to watch out for anything related to Principal Marketing or Smart Circle (their parent company).

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better pay and a benefits package to employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wow.

Event Manager (Current Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsIf you're good at selling you may get to travel to a few cities/ states. The majority of people are nice and you get to network at some events.

ConsPay- They state that it is 'hourly or commission whatever is higher'. Let's just clarify this, what they don't tell you is if you work with someone, you're splitting that commission. So, more than likely you're getting hourly, AND paying for your gas to travel to various Sams Clubs. Thus, really you're the working poor, pathetically shuffling Smart Circle's ( look it up- it's the parent company to all of these multi-level 'marketing' firms spread though out the US) products in YOUR vehicle to bring to all of the 'clubs' .

Hours- Dear God, there's a post somewhere in here that states you could make more at McDonald's, well it's true, except perhaps during Christmas, perhaps then people will want to buy all of the stuff that Innovage (another Smart Circle Company ) sells. Oh wait, you'll be the person selling it because even though the post you read probably states marketing, what you're really doing is selling stuff. All-day-long at $20,$30,$50 an item. Of which you only get a percentage after the owner and Sams Club takes their cut, and you split it with Joe-Schmo who didn't sell anything. Do the math, you're not going to make a lot even if you do work their ridiculous hours of going to morning meetings, then to work your shift and finally 'breaking down your day' with your leader or your 'crew'. You won't have a life outside of work. The average individual pushing for management is working 6 days a week for 11+ hours and every other week they may get a day off. Oh, did I mention, you won't get any benefits with this position, because you won't.

The Lies- Smart Circle should really be taken to the BBB, however they're not affiliated, which isn't surprising considering they're so shady. Look up the term multi-level marketing and what you have is an exact replica of what Principal Marketing is doing. You're expected to recruit people in order to advance and move up to 'own your own business in 6 or so months' what they don't mention is even though you're working extremely hard, where as in a pyramid scheme you get paid off of what you're people make, that won't happen here. You make nothing, and on top of it you probably won't become a manager. Which is ok, because trust me, there are better opportunities out there. Unfortunately, the cult-mentality that runs rampant throughout this place doesn't think so. According to them, you'll be 'one of the herd'. What a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop falsifying information in your 1,000 job posts that you have online, and be direct with people when answering their questions in interviews.

A real marketing firm isn't taking interviews EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It's called turnover, and for every other company out there, it's a negative thing, so you might want to evaluate your 'principals'.

Best Opportunity Available

Event Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThis is for the individual who is looking for a career, not just another job. I have been with the company for eight months, and I have learned more about myself both personally and professionally than I ever could have imagined. I have developed a skill set that can be translated into every aspect of my life and career. I have learned to represent and promote a range of clients directly to the end consumer, manage teams of people and balance that with personal time, as well as have the opportunity to travel to several other markets and demographics to effectively create brand awareness for various clients. I have found this position to be an exceptional career choice for myself because I love working with and meeting new people. I'm also attracted to the quick growth and development within the company, and could not imagine sitting complacently behind a desk every day.

ConsThis company is not for the individual who is looking for a 9-5 job for the next forty years. Things move very quickly and change day to day. Anyone who is not flexible, or not excited about a fast-paced environment would not be a good fit. In addition, there is no micro-management structure, so this wouldn't be the right place for someone looking to punch a clock and be given a to-do list every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to be more selective in the interview process. This career path isn't for everyone, and that's ok. Some people are better suited for an office-type roll!

Stay away from PM

ProsPeople were nice enough. You learn some valuable skills for your career.

Cons-Crappy Pay.
    -An environment that embraces phoney enthusiasm.
    - You have to stand around a Sam's Club, pushing crappy products.
    - High School like cliques are formed with the top sales people and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling snake oil

Worst place I ever worked

Entry Level Marketing (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsYou'll be excited cause you think you have a job. They don't make you come back into the office at night.

ConsStanding in SAMS club for hours selling knives or rubbing peoples wrists with handcream. You only make $30 of what you sell - try doing that math when you're selling @20 plastic lamps. You'll work til 8 pm, spend an hour counting the crap you didn't sell and then have to call your "leader" to break down the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business. This company is a sham.

Experience of a life time

Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsYou grain a valuable skill set that can be applied to any career in the future in a short amount of time. I worked there for a year and learned to manage people, conduct interviews and gained confidence in my self which proved to be invaluable when searching for my current career in international business. Their morning meetings were positive and started my day with a postive note, something I miss at my new job. The people were inviting and encouraging every step of the way.

ConsMy feet hurt for the first week but nothing some good insoles couldn't take care of and to be honest I was on my feet more huffing it to my classes in college.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut people lose, some people just don't have a good work ethic or the student mentality for a challenging job, nor the accountability, I know the program is designed to help people gain a valuable skill set and offer a great opportunity but some people just don't have what it takes.

It's not for everyone.

Entry Level Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunity if you want to start your own marketing business and need to gain a lot of know how and experience quickly. Staff is pretty friendly and outgoing. Office environment is fun and upbeat. You gain a lot of product knowledge and overall business knowledge.

ConsLong work hours which are not always worth the pay. A lot of traveling and the gas compensation is minimal. Based on performance, so if you aren't good at selling, you probably won't make it far with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a bigger return for the effort put in. It might work out so in the long run, but only for a few people who want to specifically own a marketing business. For the rest it's not really anything but an opportunity for some experience in the field.

HORRIBLE WASTE OF TIME.

Sales (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

Pros* Positive morning meetings
    But its just about how you can see a positive view of how to make more sales.

*They teach you the tricks to make people buy the products you will be selling

Cons*They will turn you in to a cookie cut android to repeat and repeat the same lines for 6 to 8 hrs
    *You will be working on your feet all day
    *After working here for 1 month you will be done with all the growth you can in this company
    *You are force to go to an early morning meeting then go to your home and work at 2pm
    *After you leave work, they will keep calling you during your free time
    *their pay is 8.25 and hour OR Commission of 18% but its divided between the whole people working that booth
    WARNING:
    they will pay 8.25 and hour or commission they said like 100$ a day but with the commissions are just so low you will be working your day off to make that amount so is extremely hard.
    *You will feel that is a very sad environment for people to work I kite honestly felt it was the worst place I have work at I saw a guy who is in his 30 he was married and had a kid all I felt for him was sadness how can he make any $ for his wife and kids.
    This job is for teenagers not University Grad. I felt sad for a lot of people there.
    *Its a very humiliated job for people
    they will take your whole day!!!
    Normal day example:
    Tuesday go to meeting 8am! get up at 6am to get ready because they force you to use a full suit to the meeting or full Business professional for women.
    Meeting starts at 8am finish by 9:15 - 9:30 am then either A or B option

Option A:
    Go Change clothing to normal clothes wear so you can sell in Sam Costco etc. Soaps, Flat hair irons and give sample of food. start working from 10 till 4-8pm

After you leave you have to talk to 3 people on the phone to see how the sales went.

Option B:
    After meeting go home 3hrs the go start work 2pm till night. and get up early next day to go to a force meeting! its ridiculous!!!!!
    and of course they call after once you are at home.

Personally I have never felt like I felt in this job before, just so sad and angry after work

8.25$ AN HOUR AND THEY EXPECT YOU TO SHOW EVERY MORNING IN NICE SUITS...
    Very ridiculous

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employers more money like 12$ hour you are expecting them to show in suits give them enough so they can afford them.

Worked for Principal Marketing? Contribute to the Community!