PrintingForLess.com

2.7
Andrew S. Field

1. TSR

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, progressive workplace, on thr job training.

Cons

Constantly changing shifts, lack of movement, unapproachable upper management.

2. Highly dysfunctional

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time

Pros

Beautiful location, and seemingly laid back environment.

Cons

The place is like a frat party. They hire kids straight out of college who have no idea what they are doing so that they can be easily molded into the cult like culture. Management is playing at being leaders and are the most dysfunctional and incompetent group of people I have ever seen. Success seems to come to those who have the most leadership books on their desk, regardless of whether they have ever read them. Horrible business decisions are made constantly and if anyone attempts to question them, they are literally shunned. Making life miserable for those who don't fit so that they will finally quit is the norm. When they recruit, (which they constantly do because they can't retain anyone who isn't a conformist machine), they lie about expectations and then make it impossible to meet them once they have changed. I would be surprised if these guys haven't been sued.

Advice to Management

Stop with the gimmickry, (Friday alcohol days, bringing dogs to work, your sports culture), and take a few employee development classes for heaven's sake. Stop getting your management knowledge from synopsis books and start learning how to actually manage people and engage them. Management for Dummies is not a legitimate textbook for managers. You guys are in way over your heads.

3. Leaves much to be desired.

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Livingston, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Livingston, MT

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In Livingston, Montana. Provide a lot of training. Can bring your dog to work.

Cons

Poor Middle Managers. Very challenging job for the pay.

5. Fast-paced, Intense, Great benefits and training. Great entry level job for younger person

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Livingston, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Livingston, MT

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and entry level training. Daycare on-site. Nice Facility and Beautiful area! Fun people and environment. If you stick around long enough you WILL advance your position (not necessarily your pay)

Cons

High Turnover! High volume of work. Must be fast-paced and multitask oriented or you will fail. Upper management makes rash decisions. People are promoted (in title only) often, but without any input to that decision.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover by rewarding/compensating good employees. Review employee performance prior to making conclusions or promoting them.

6. Nearly 10 years at PFL, and overall a great career and learning experience

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic, talented people across the company
    Very technical, systems based measurements in place, and robust CRM system as well as one of the best training programs in the Valley

Cons

At times, micromanaging can occur from upper mgmt.
    Career growth can be challenging; more lateral movements can be expected

Like working for "The Firm"... they just want to mold you into what they want.

Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time

Pros

Only work here if you like mental anguish and long hours. Better set your clock by their clock, because god forbid you're at your desk 30 seconds late or have to use the bathroom. They expect you to work long hours.

Cons

Lots of turnover swept under the rug, management doesn't listen, overkill on training, rude trainers. This company says they want people who have something extra to bring to the table, but really they want spineless people they can mold into their idea of what works. They have small conference rooms jokingly called "crying rooms" because employees are often so upset in meetings that they break into tears. They play favorites with recent college grads but if you are over-qualified or have more experience they try to break you down. Someone literally said to me (and then tried to backpedal) that they like to "break you down to build you back up." TONS of turnover, they don't want you to know about that, but on my first day at least four independent people told me about poor management and tons of turnover. They are constantly advertising for more help because they can't keep people, but will try to tell you they are "growing." Middle management is awful. There is a group of people who have been there for many years and they think they run the company and walk around like their crap doesn't smell. Only work here if you are super desperate. It was so bad I left without another job lined up. My sanity was more important. The other thing I found very interesting was how much they encouraged dating within the company. Many people were dating or married, and then you would hear stories about how so-and-so was getting a divorce (from a non-employee). They suck up so much of your time and want you to spend all of your time with other employees that outside relationships start to break down.

Advice to Management

If you hire people with experience, actually use their experience, listen to them, draw on it. If you aren't willing to listen, keep hiring the college grads you can mold.

8. Frustrating Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, MT

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Co-workers were great to work with. Some of them truly felt like family and I would go out of my way to help them just like they would for me.

Cons

The Wind blows 358 days out of the year.

Compensation is lack luster.

Senior management has issues identifying bad middle managers. Middle management has created a fairly negative environment due to poor communication styles and has credibility issues due to a lack of knowledge and/or experience. Many pressmen expressed issues with their manager who has been very divisive towards other departments.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees have the experience that management has defined for the position you are promoting them to. If they do not, ensure they get that experience before taking said position. It hurts the department and sets that person up for failure.

Satisfied

Current Employee - TSR in Livingston, MT
    Current Employee - TSR in Livingston, MT

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

Pros

Some of the best people I've met work here. I find the work very rewarding, I enjoy the flexibility in my job and the freadom to make decisions without having to consult with a manager.

Cons

Yes, upper management has some flaws, but no one or no company is perfect. Benefits could be a little better, a high deductible insurance isn't a perfect fit for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep us upto date on whats happening, no one likes the unknow. Reward those who excel with opportunity and listen to the advise from the floor.

So-So Company.

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with and very smart. The company is in a beautiful location and offers on-sight daycare to families with young children.

Cons

They specifically hire people that have come from "not so great" working environments to make PFL seem great. Management wrings you for all you are worth and then tells you it's not good enough. This tends to cause a low morale.

Advice to Management

Don't make so many reactive decisions. Think long term. The company is in a position that it could go either way. Dig deaper to find out the real reasons that people leave. While claiming to be a transparent company, it is very apparent that isn't the case. Be honest and up front.

driven to profit

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

Pros

they provide a relaxed and informal work environment

Cons

I guess like any company they will drop you without hesitation if it benefits the bottom line and or you don't completely buy into managements plans even though they talk a good game about being accountable and wanting feedback.

Advice to Management

pay people based on their productivity not on what they made at their last job or what you think they might be willing to work for.

RSS Feed </> Embed