PrintingForLess.com

Andrew S. Field

Satisfied

TSR (Current Employee)

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

ProsSome of the best people I've met work here. I find the work very rewarding, I enjoy the flexibility in my job and the freadom to make decisions without having to consult with a manager.

ConsYes, upper management has some flaws, but no one or no company is perfect. Benefits could be a little better, a high deductible insurance isn't a perfect fit for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us upto date on whats happening, no one likes the unknow. Reward those who excel with opportunity and listen to the advise from the floor.

Like working for "The Firm"... they just want to mold you into what they want.

Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time

ProsOnly work here if you like mental anguish and long hours. Better set your clock by their clock, because god forbid you're at your desk 30 seconds late or have to use the bathroom. They expect you to work long hours.

ConsLots of turnover swept under the rug, management doesn't listen, overkill on training, rude trainers. This company says they want people who have something extra to bring to the table, but really they want spineless people they can mold into their idea of what works. They have small conference rooms jokingly called "crying rooms" because employees are often so upset in meetings that they break into tears. They play favorites with recent college grads but if you are over-qualified or have more experience they try to break you down. Someone literally said to me (and then tried to backpedal) that they like to "break you down to build you back up." TONS of turnover, they don't want you to know about that, but on my first day at least four independent people told me about poor management and tons of turnover. They are constantly advertising for more help because they can't keep people, but will try to tell you they are "growing." Middle management is awful. There is a group of people who have been there for many years and they think they run the company and walk around like their crap doesn't smell. Only work here if you are super desperate. It was so bad I left without another job lined up. My sanity was more important. The other thing I found very interesting was how much they encouraged dating within the company. Many people were dating or married, and then you would hear stories about how so-and-so was getting a divorce (from a non-employee). They suck up so much of your time and want you to spend all of your time with other employees that outside relationships start to break down.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire people with experience, actually use their experience, listen to them, draw on it. If you aren't willing to listen, keep hiring the college grads you can mold.

Frustrating Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PrintingForLess.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy Co-workers were great to work with. Some of them truly felt like family and I would go out of my way to help them just like they would for me.

ConsThe Wind blows 358 days out of the year.

Compensation is lack luster.

Senior management has issues identifying bad middle managers. Middle management has created a fairly negative environment due to poor communication styles and has credibility issues due to a lack of knowledge and/or experience. Many pressmen expressed issues with their manager who has been very divisive towards other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that employees have the experience that management has defined for the position you are promoting them to. If they do not, ensure they get that experience before taking said position. It hurts the department and sets that person up for failure.

So-So Company.

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

ProsMost of the people are great to work with and very smart. The company is in a beautiful location and offers on-sight daycare to families with young children.

ConsThey specifically hire people that have come from "not so great" working environments to make PFL seem great. Management wrings you for all you are worth and then tells you it's not good enough. This tends to cause a low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make so many reactive decisions. Think long term. The company is in a position that it could go either way. Dig deaper to find out the real reasons that people leave. While claiming to be a transparent company, it is very apparent that isn't the case. Be honest and up front.

driven to profit

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

Prosthey provide a relaxed and informal work environment

ConsI guess like any company they will drop you without hesitation if it benefits the bottom line and or you don't completely buy into managements plans even though they talk a good game about being accountable and wanting feedback.

Advice to Senior Managementpay people based on their productivity not on what they made at their last job or what you think they might be willing to work for.

Progressive, Rewarding, and Challenging

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

ProsMontana. Dogs. PrintingForLess provides a very rewarding work environment for those who are self driven and willing to make work towards the bigger picture. PFL also provides lots of professional development activities, and invests heavily in their employee’s success.

ConsPFL is not the place for you to work if you just want to be a cog in the machine and work from 9 to 5.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of negative and low perfomance employees faster.

Employee let go

Technical Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at PrintingForLess.com

ProsOk, I went to work for PFL because the place is in Montana (the windiest spot in Montana), they allowed people to bring their dogs to work, and on the surface the people seemed pleasant.

ConsWhat I found out later is that it is incredibly windy in Livingston (100+ mph winds... no kidding), if you wanted to bring your dog to work you had to be juried in by management (somewhat political process), and the people doing the work there are nice people. Management however is not.

So my story is that I was one of those let go in 2009 due to what they call downsizing. What I found incredibly strange is that a week before letting me go they gave me and 160 other employees company carhart jackets (cost $10,000). Spend 10 grand on jackets then let 15 employees go. How about save the money and keep the people. My history with the company was perfect. What's more is how immediate the news was delivered. I had a management team memeber come to my desk, then bring me to one of the ir conference rooms. The management tema memeber read from a sheet of paper what they were doing then I was escorted to my desk, not allowed to retrieve personal information on the computer I used and then escorted out of the building. I was treated like I committed a crime.

Now I know this type of lay off procedure is common for sterile coporations. The sad news is that this company preaches that it is not what they call a sterile corporation or a big sucky company. Well from the looks of this experience it sure looks like you are a sucky company.

So far to date more than 25 people have been let go in the last 2 years.

Fast forward several months and they are hiring people again. One would think they would call back those let go. Sorry folks, not one has been called back.

I guess my lesson learned is that regardless of where you work you really can't trust what they tell you when they hire you. You have to go in do your job and go home. Don't go to work for these guys expecting to receive any praise or rewards. If you have to work for them, do so for the money, because if something goes wrong management will be the last to accept accountability and the first to assign blame on those busting their butts for them.

Looking back, I do miss those that I worked with. I really do not miss the constant verbal abuse from management.

Good luck and God bless to those still there.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit using the phrase that you are not a sucky company. Sooner or later your employees discover that you are.

Great place to work. Would highly recommend!

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

ProsPFL invests in and cares about its people. Great place to work hard and enjoy going to work! Tough interviews to ensure only the best and the brightest are hired.

ConsSome may see it as a small organization, but it i growing and PFL is currently investing in its growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should continue to put a high emphasis on growing to ensure engagement and opportunities for its people, especially at higher levels.

The more things change

Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at PrintingForLess.com

ProsScenery surrounding PFLs location is beautiful, no traffic on the drive to work, and the people doing the real work are great.

ConsManagement and workers are completely disconnected. It is a total grind working here and without a sense of doing any good. We all go to work, work our tails off processing files, taking orders, selling and the company's value continues to decline. The valuation of the company has slipped from close to $3.00 per share to less than 1.37 per share and it continues to drop. The only solution that management offers is work harder. The concept of working smarter totally escapes this place. They have no idea how to get things done. Projects seem to languish indefinitely and there is absolutely no accountability on the behalf of management while there is no tolerance for anything less below them.

I realize the job market is tough. If you consider this place for employment be aware that their approach to business has nothing to do with their published values.

Also read the comment under the “Progressive, Rewarding, and Challenging” review about employees leaving without having another job (I think it is the one titled may 2010 update). I believe the action of these employees speaks louder than any words ever will.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt looks like the end of the road for this management team. Their attempts to turn the business are completely in vein. Sell or find someone that has the experience to advance the business where you cannot.

Worked for PrintingForLess.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PrintingForLess.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PrintingForLess.com CEO Andrew S. Field. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by PrintingForLess.com employees.