Priority Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Priority Health President & CEO Michael P. Freed

Michael P. Freed

Change afoot in this industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

Pros--Management is attentive to customer and market needs, and are driving change for the better.
    --Highly motivated middle-and-senior--management team.
    --Part of an integrated health system, so ample opportunities for promotion and career development.

Cons--Organizational culture has a split personality between "the old" and "the new". Some deep seated conservatism (resistance to change) among longer-term rank and file employees. They want desperately to do things the same way they have always done them. In fairness, this dynamic is not unique to Priority Health.
    --Highly capable and nimble individual contributors among the rank and file need to be recognized and promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stick to the customer service basics that led to current success, and continue to anticipate and respond nimbly to market transformation. Focus on reaching as many members as possible by creating virtual member communities.

State of Change

ProsWork/life balance is great in Provider Network Services. Time off is great.

ConsTeam coordination is lacking. Leadership knows not what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to be upped immensely. A supervisor or manager should be able to do what we do, maybe not as well or as quickly, but a general understanding and ability to answer questions would be good.

If you like call center then work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are very in to technology and training. You must be good with call center rules. This means you are on the phone all day and you must move fast.

ConsNot very good at new ideas. The old way of doing things is what is rewarded.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Struggling to Adapt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsPeople generally believe in the value proposition of the company and intentions are good. This firm is competitively positioned to grow in the marketplace if it makes the right investments and bets.

ConsThe company is deeply steeped in a West Michigan, conservative culture that can be alienating. This discourages different perspectives. Focus is on short term financial gain at the cost of building lifetime client relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the Affordable Care Act.

Negative culture, don't trust employees, high turnover

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, health incentives and technology. On site gym and cafe.

ConsCompany is very big into title and seniority. If you are not part of management you are a peon. Current staff not welcoming to new staff. Was unable to use my skill set and was bored the majority of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to use the skills they were hired for. Too many layers and approvals to get job done in a timely fashion.

Strong company overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsWork life balance is great and scheduling is flexible
    Compensation overall is at or above industry standard
    Comfortable work environment

ConsThe company is slow on innovative thinking but there is an effort to be more dynamic and improve this. Spectrum partnership should improve some of this as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new thinking. There are many long term leaders who need to challenge old ideals as the company and industry are changing quickly.

Diverse opportunities midst ever changing leadership structure

IT Professional (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsKnowledgeable staff in various departments
    Some opportunity to influence processes
    Investigation of new products
    Flexible work environment and schedule
    Good offerings of health benefits

ConsLack of accountability in IT leadership and staff
    Missing goals and vision for IT department and within the company
    No conscious effort for employee career or personal development
    Tried to fit the worker to the job rather than leveraging the knowledge of long term employees to benefit the company

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage the knowledge and experience of the employees to make changes and improvements
    Trust in the ability of employees, but hold the appropriate people and leaders accountable for completion of work

A good company with a few problems

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsPeople at Priority Health - management and staff - are genuinely trying to make health benefits simpler and work better for plan members. Our helpfulness, especially to plan members who have health problems, amazes me.

ConsManagement doesn't seem to trust employees. Everyone is so overworked that it's normal to talk about it being just a matter of time until one of us makes a huge mistake that will cost the company big $$ and us our job. People are working looooong hours without a lot of recognition other than "We know times are tough."

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less of our time filling out job satisfaction surveys and reorganizing.

Priority Health was a pleasant work enviroment.

Medicare Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsPriority Health offers a very diverse workplace.

ConsThe only downside would be is that it was a far drive away from where I lived.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what your doing because this was one of the best employers I have ever worked for.

Good people, held back by poor senior management

Management (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsCompensation, good peers, nice working conditions. Lower level employees work hard but not compensated appropriately. Lower level employees actually enjoy work as long as protected from senior management whims.

ConsLack of innovation, tied to the past, firing of people with no concern of consequences. Culture of fear, you never know who is going to be fired next. Talk of possible operating gains while holding salaries flat. Not willing to make changes needed to succeed in current and future environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, before company goes under. Worse positions are senior levels so a real problem. No one willing to tell truth since they will shoot the messenger.

Worked for Priority Health? Contribute to the Community!