Priority Health

Priority Health President & CEO Michael P. Freed
Michael P. Freed

Intern at Priority

I have been working at Priority Health

Pros

Great company culture. There are lots of company wide events, some especially for interns. People are very friendly and willing to lend a helping hand when you need it.

Cons

Lots of change in health care, and smaller companies like Priority are feeling the effects more than bigger ones. Could be o.k. in the long run, but seems stressful and uncertain as of now.

It amazes me that they keep the lights on.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Priority Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the area (W. Michigan). People in my departed were good to work with. Good work/life balance, unless you want to move up.

Cons

Benefits are weak, high deductible health plan and low match on 403b. The amount of incompetence is astounding. Management is a joke and there is little opportunity to move up unless you really play 'the game.'

Since I have been here there are been several mind-blowing decisions made that seem as though the people above me literally decided to pick the worst solution.

My advice to Spectrum management is to clean house at PH.

Excellent Business and Partner with Spectrum Health System

Current Employee - Support Services Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Support Services Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Priority Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

excellent company with great benefits and great customer focus

Cons

Some upper management difficult and "old school" thinking

Untapped talent

I worked at Priority Health full-time

Pros

Good salaries and benefits
    A mission employees support
    There are opportunities to take initiative - if you're nimble and brave enough to try. The cost of a misstep, however, is incredibly high

Cons

Lots of untapped talent - employees are hired for skills that they are then not allowed to use.
    A lot of talking about wanting to hear from employees - but leaders generally don't listen and those who speak up with differing views are often punished.
    Too many egos; not enough focus on doing the best work and making the best business decisions no matter where where or who they come from.
    Lack of flexibility in scheduling - at least in the department I worked in (that wasn't the case company-wide).
    Once you're hired, your odds of advancing are slim. They tend to "re-structure" and bring in new people who are then promoted above those with experience - low morale and frustration results.

Hire managers/leaders for skill; not whether they can talk a good game. Less talk; more productive action.
    Have an outside company investigate the high turnover rate in some departments (Hint: It's not bad employees; there are some poor leaders - there are some good ones too)
    Don't stereotype people - when you do that, you put them in a box and lose out on a tremendous amount of innovation that could be amazing for the business.

Leaders Do Not Hold Employees Accountable

Former Employee - Human Resources in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Priority Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of decent and sincere individuals who are trying to bring about positive change. President Mike Freed vision is solid and clearly articulated, unfortunately PH's overall leadership is not equipped to execute properly.

Cons

Leaders are not held accountable when they do not meet expectations and of course this leads to so many employees not being held accountable too. Morale low in the majority departments yet not all. Ostrich head-in-the-sand method of leadership.

A senior leader needs to convince Mike Freed (PH's President) that an objective assessment should take place of the entire company's operations. Promise that if Mr. did, he would discover the NEED for an overhaul at all levels. All they have to go is evaluate the high turnover.

It was great! and I hope it is still the same way when I was there and fun to work with co-workers.

Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Office Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Priority Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company and all the staff was wonderful to work for and very knowledgeable. There was always postings for other departments where you can apply for the internal posting and was able to be promoted to another position and the training was very outstanding.

Cons

while I was at Priority Health there was no cons per say, I mean there was times you did not agree with others about the procedures of doing the job, but it the issues were solved by all parties involved.

Training, compensation and work life balance no complaints

Priority Health is a great work environment with competitive pay and a friendly work environment

Current Employee - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Priority Health as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's a Michigan company that cares about its employees and its customers. This company isn't just about making money and increasing efficiency - you feel like you are really getting to help people and help Michigan. The intern pay is very good. They are very relaxed and let you be flexible with hours.

Cons

There is a lot of paperwork and fine print in this industry. Sometimes the work gets boring, but the quality of the interactions in the office makes up for it. They don't do any fun events outside of work (getting drinks or having a summer barbecue).

Put more effort into making sure employees are motivated and see the big picture. Social events are important to bring people together and lighten the mood.

Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Priority Health (less than an year)

Pros

Work at home opportunities, they hold orientation in Grand Rapids and pay for your stay.

Cons

The people that work there aren't welcoming or friendly.

Grow up.

State of Change

I have been working at Priority Health

Pros

Work/life balance is great in Provider Network Services. Time off is great.

Cons

Team coordination is lacking. Leadership knows not what we do.

Communication needs to be upped immensely. A supervisor or manager should be able to do what we do, maybe not as well or as quickly, but a general understanding and ability to answer questions would be good.

Struggling to Adapt

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Priority Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People generally believe in the value proposition of the company and intentions are good. This firm is competitively positioned to grow in the marketplace if it makes the right investments and bets.

Cons

The company is deeply steeped in a West Michigan, conservative culture that can be alienating. This discourages different perspectives. Focus is on short term financial gain at the cost of building lifetime client relationships.

Embrace the Affordable Care Act.