Prism Microwave

Updated August 6, 2014

3.3

Juha Mort
1 Rating

An outstanding learning opportunity an unconstrained environment

Current Employee - Test/Software Engineer  in  Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Test/Software Engineer in Coppell, TX

Pros

The learning and growth opportunities given to me at Prism Microwave over the last year and half of my employment have been extremely gratifying. I came on board as a junior Software Engineer. That position, in many companies, translates into being constrained to working on maintaining legacy applications, quality analysis, and adding small features to existing applications. Rather than piling my plate with dull tasks that would have offered me little growth, my bosses at Prism Microwave placed me in charge of large-scale applications and interesting projects from the very beginning. They believed in my capability, and gave me ample time to complete these projects.

The work environment is very relaxed. When I need to take time off, I'm often allowed to make up my time rather than having to take a PTO day. Building trust is imperative - since I've proven that I'm a hard worker, my boss trusts that I will make up my time when I say I will. The company often has BBQs during the day - always a fun experience and a nice break from the work day. Also, the environment is very friendly. Being a small company, the employees are mostly very close; we often go to lunch as a group as well as do happy hours after work.

Cons

Being a small company, employees are often expected to do long sprints on their own. Fellow engineers are usually happy to help when they can. However, they themselves are often busy. While this works well for people who are self-motivated and are good at figuring things out on their own, it might not work well for people who need or want a team-centric environment.

Continue doing company BBQs.

Zero micro-managing with the freedom to design and innovate without jumping through hoops

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Once you've gained the trust of management you have the freedom to design how you want to design. This means you have to be a self-motivated, hard worker. If you've shown you can do a good job and worked long hours during a very busy time, management has absolutely no problem giving you an extra day off. I've worked long hours before and put in my vacation requests only to see my supervisor not even hand it in so they don't go on my record. When the company is doing well I've gotten very lucrative bonuses, and when the company is struggling they still gave what they could. In the 6 years I have been here I've moved up the ladder consistently. As a young engineer the senior engineers are very knowledgeable and have no qualms trying to teach you everything they know. It is a very friendly work environment and consider most coworkers as part of my family.

Cons

People that need to have their hand held at all times will not do well here. Management doesn't try to tell you how to design and you shouldn't be telling them how to manage. It is a small business so sometimes you may have to help out production or with another project that isn't yours, but management always notices this and you will be compensated.

Keep your open door policy as you always have, and there shouldn't be any spineless individuals going to anonymous review websites to voice their opinions.

Poorly managed, unsuccessful company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

freedom, lax environment, can drink beer at lunch (that's actually not a good thing b/c ppl get drunk, then come back from lunch... but, whatever)

Cons

Poor oversight, poor management. Business is ran based on extreme paranoia of competition - to the point that the coo opted to withhold marketing products on our website for fear that their competitors will then know what products they are developing. Lots of incompetent engineers with poor work ethic, particularly the senior engineers. Management has a poor understanding of business. No chance to move up.

Take better care of your employees. Even small things like company bbq (not just the once-a-year on you do), small bonuses, could go a long ways. Also, reward employees for addt'l work with a small bonus or an extra day off. Also, don't like to your employee candidates - for example, don't tell them they'll have an opportunity to travel when they won't.

Prism Microwave Response

Aug 15, 2014SVP and GM, US Operations

Dear Engineer,

While there is reason to doubt that you are actually who you claim to be, these sorts of comments are taken very seriously by Prism Microwave Management. If you are indeed an
    ... More

Worked for Prism Microwave? Contribute to the Community!