Prison Health Services

Prison Health Services Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Hallworth

Good place to work just no retirement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

ProsGood pay
    Ok benefits
    Ok management

ConsNo type of retirement benefits offered

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who do the job every day not the HSA who pretends to know

Nano Management

Medical Provider (Current Employee)
    Lansing, MI

ProsPHS allows front line medical providers to work 40 hrs as a four day work week. Salary meets the average for the state. A dedicated health care staff provide compassionate, high quality care to an often tough population to serve. The good stuff ends there.

ConsPrison Health Service's function is to provide quality health care to prisoners while saving the bankrupt state of Michigan some money, not a small task. The medical professionals providing the onsite care are well educated, competent and sensitive to cost issues. PHS Regional Medical Directors (RMD) screen specialty referrals. The process to obtain a specialist visit for an inmate is time consuming, cumbersome, and fraught with barriers set up by the RMD's. To appeal a denied referral one must spend hours, this is no exaggeration, on the phone with the RMD's. This has led to poor outcomes and some critical incidents for the patients.

The RMD's additionally will make changes to patient's medical management (prescriptions) during these unfortunate phone calls. Medical providers are mandated to implement these changes or justify their use of medications. The RMD's provide these directives without the benefit of seeing the EMR or patient record of any kind. Disturbing is the only word that comes to mind. Also results in poor health outcomes.

PHS has very poor time off benefits. The first 2 days of sick time is taken from an employee's "vacation time". Employees get 12 days of vacation/year. Eight hours of this is required to be kept in a "reserve bank" for a sick day. One does accumulate "sick time" but it cannot be used unless you are off longer than 3 days. Once you are out longer than 3 days, you are encouraged to file for FMLA. Essentially, one gets 11 days a year total for sick and vacation.

If you are a medical professional with a brain and integrity, I recommend avoiding this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour medical providers are a well educated, critically thinking, compassionate group of professionals. We are sensitive to the current economic conditions, and understand that some services need to be rationed. If any one of us is pushing a specialty referral, it is most likely in the best interests of the patient. In my short experience of 4 months with PHS, I believe that there have been several hospitalizations that could have been avoided by listening to, instead of debating, your front line staff.

Some great people, but not very many good managers.

ProsFamily friendly. A lot of good people in the field and in middle management. Reasonable compensation and benefits package compared to industry. Interesting work. Makes a difference to people.

ConsA great place to be a VP or executive, but the VPs themselves aren't that great. Not a good place to be promoted from within. Compensation and bonus plan below VP level grossly out-of-whack with executive compenstion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the rest of us as if we were as valuable as your VPs. We're the ones on the front lines who execute on a daily basis.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changing -ve behaviour into +ve

Psychologist (Current Employee)
    Nellore (India)

ProsMaking People suffering from Psychological Problems into Healthy by counseling and behavioural modification theraphy. By training Vocationally they become productive in the Society.

ConsThis Department serves the Public in a way that it can gives a type of confidence in it. and to the inmates also can lead their life by themself after getting relised from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of scope is there in this department for advice management. We can able to advice the prisoners in such a way that they are respected by the people.

Worked for Prison Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prison Health Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prison Health Services CEO Rich Hallworth. All reviews posted anonymously by Prison Health Services employees.