Pro Chem, Inc.

Updated July 10, 2014
Updated July 10, 2014
3.8

Warren Alifeld

Wonderful opportunity and earning potential for those who are willing to work hard and keep a positive attitude

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can sell than this can be the job for you. Pro Chem is an ethical solid company that provides a full line of maintenance related chemicals to all sorts of industries. Many of the reps have been there 10 and 20 years. It is a family owned company and they work hard to provide a supportive and fun environment for their employees.

For the most part your goal is to build relationships with people who purchase maintenance chemicals. They are typically a relaxed bunch. This is not a stuffy sales job. While you are expected to be professional you can also expect to have fun.

Once established the job is an opportunity for you to set your own schedule and income.

Cons

Building a territory takes planning and hard work
    Learning curve- Huge product line - it takes a while to become an expert

Unprofessional Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing from my experience with Pro Chem is that I have learned to research a company before working for them! I am a very dedicated and hard worker that had a successful sales career with my previous company. This company has made several sales representatives mad and this is why I am posting now. The other positive posts are clearly because the company recruited current employees to write for them. Please do your research before accepting a position.

Cons

I was hired in with the company with the understanding that I would receive an account list after six months. I was also told that the previous sales representative left to pursue pharmaceutical sales and that I would have the entire territory.They also will tell you that they will help you. This was all lies! The previous representative was fired after 15 years on Christmas Eve. There is no management team/help in place for each territory. They will give you a rookie coach. If you are lucky, you will have one that will help, I didn't. In fact she told me that she hated coaching! My territory was cherry picked by five other sales representatives. Some didn't even live in my state and upper management could care less. I drove 800-1000 miles a week to find left over scraps.
    The other thing that is bad about the company is there are no training guidelines in place. It differs between the office, coaches and management. This makes the company look bad to customers. I had to do research on my own to be effective at my job. I believe that this is because they want women to flirt with customers and do other unprofessional things to get orders. This has been my experience with the other representative in my area. The company doesn't care that someone behaves this way. They only care about money. If you don't believe me ask other competitors in your area. Pro Chem is know to hire women between 25-35. They will use them until they get about 50 and push them out the door.
    My advice to anyone considering going with this company is to run! I just found out about this website and it would have definitely made a difference for me.

My advice to management is to have a structured training program. This means that you need to do something other than read out of the catalog. I would also suggest that when you hire someone with an outstanding sales background to trust them with the account list. That is what normal companies do and that is why I left. Stop telling potential employees that you are a Christian, family company. FYI...that is the furthest thing from the truth.

ProChem, Inc. gives you the opportunity and the tools- you provide the ambition and drive.

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In my experience with ProChem, the company has bent over backwards to support me in achieving my goals and building a long term career. They have provided me with technical product knowledge, effective sales strategy, prospecting support staff, bonus incentives, and a supportive infrastructure of fellow account executives eager to help me succeed. I really could not ask for anything more!
    Furthermore, I appreciate working for a company who values the customer and seeks to provide a superior product through excellent and ethical service. I have been encouraged to build long lasting customer relationships by meeting customer needs with honesty, integrity, and reliability. Knowing all of this about ProChem makes it easy for me to ask a prospect for their business!

Cons

Building a viable territory is hard work, and it takes time. You must continue to plan and prospect for at least a full year in order to realize the fruits of your labor. But if you are willing to invest in organizing, planning, and implementing as instructed you WILL succeed!

Continue to put the customer first and invest in your rookies!

At Pro Chem, our people make the difference!

Current Employee - President/Founder in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - President/Founder in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After reviewing the comments of a few disgruntled employees on this site, I feel that it is important to announce to the world the type of company we continue to strive to be.

As founder and President, I am proud to say we have attempted to develop a culture of integrity and unlimited growth potential. We are not about a one-time sale, but rather about earning the trust of our customers through becoming a preferred vendor. Today, we are proud that 23,000 customers rely on us for their maintenance product needs.

We realize that not everyone who joins us can or will flourish in our business model, where the more success one achieves the more rewards and recognition they receive.

The only single policy we are committed to is following “The Golden Rule.” It’s how we treat all our customers, all our associates, and all our vendors. If those few negative postings were descriptive of whom we are we would never have been able to post a solid growth record for the past 45 years.

At Pro Chem, our people make the difference. It was that way when we began in 1969, and it is that way today!

Cons

I have no cons to share.

Endless opportunity! Love my job and my company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility for family and business!

Cons

At this time I have no cons. Pro Chem is not perfect but it comes pretty close for me!

Never Worked for Such a Great Company!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love this company! When I got my mail today, when I arrived home from work, I found one of the nicest letters that I have ever received .
     I was not expecting this letter and I was so excited and proud of myself for once in a long time, as it contained such kind words.
    I have NEVER worked for such a great company that treats their employees with so much respect and appreciation.
    And then I find out I am receiving a $500.00 bonus check, that I did't expect, WOW!
     I am more than smiling right now! If this is not more motivation, then I don't know what else would be!

The President, and Vice President are two of the most kind and generous men I have ever met.
    It is a pleasure to work for them and this exceptional company. I look forward to working many years with Pro Chem.

Cons

At this time I can't think of anything negative to say!

A great company with wonderful supportive people

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc.

Pros

Pro Chem is a great place to get sales experience without a college degree. I started this job with the intention of getting outside sales experience but now I think I'll stay with the company. Pro Chem has offered me a "career" instead of a job and the possibility to earn a really good income without a degree. I also have the freedom to make my own schedule! The company employes great people! Management actually cares about it's employees! The support staff is very friendly. It is also a debt free company so I feel very secure that my job isn't going anywhere. What more could I ask for??

Cons

First year is very tough......If you make it through it's worth it!!!

Stop changing things so often

No degree required, money is great if you can make it work for you.

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Pro Chem, Inc.

Pros

Once established, you only hear from management if your numbers excel or go drastically down.
    You are your own boss, away from an office, you don't have to report in.
    Money is great if you can get yourself established.
    Your customers are what make it all worth it. Relationship building is a must.
    Repeat business (in my experiance an individual product may be repurchased 1-3 times a year)
    Easy to show/ demo products.
    You don't have to be the world's greatest salesperson for this to work for you.
    No weekend work, unless you are in your home office doing paperwork/ organizing. (Weekend work becomes less needed when you are established.)
    Products are of decent quality, you can be proud of the product line.

Cons

I've read the review above me and had to write this to help everyone put this job in perspective.
    This company I believe is going through growing pains and has not found its Management Identity yet. The company keeps trying new styles, however, the owner of the company doesn't wish to put the money into management. He believes in seeing a direct result immediately (increased sales). Hiring outside the company doesn't produce these results and there is no "promote from within" structure established. I think this is because they are afraid to promote these sales reps and potentially lose the business that rep had established. From what I have seen, if positions such as these were made available, the person would soon be let go. Many people who believed in the company tried to step up and make it a better place especially in training (where the company still struggles). These people are no longer with us. They have also tried to hire District Managers, these have also been let go. I don't really know who my manager is, but since I'm established it's ok with me. For someone coming in it could be really frustrating.

Getting started is very difficult. The company has said they are moving away from "Quick to Hire, Quick to Fire" to a "Slow to Hire, Slow to Fire". I really have my doubts. Results are of prime importance to the company. Best time to get hired in is maybe November or so. The company doesn't expect a wizbang up job from the Rookies in the slower months (Nov & Dec). It would be a great time to get out and warm up potential buyers for the new year. Also, many municipal fiscal budgets (majority of the companies business) have turned in October and customers have money to spend again.

I was almost fired when I came to the company. What saved me? I spoke with the previous rep in the territory and got the customer account list for the area. This is not provided for you until you "prove yourself" in the territory. Absolutely absurd! The company needs to believe in the people they are hiring and give them every opportunity for them to succeed. Instead because there is so much turnover, they stumble you. Asking questions at the office results in attitude until you are producing. Attitude of "Why am I wasting my time on this person".

Also, I want it to be known, I have never had to compromise my principles to make sales at this company, as the previous review indicated. If I did, I would not be here for more than 5 years. I am a highly moral person and my customers respect that. The office never has and never will ask me to do anything immoral or questionable, EVER!

And yes, you pretty much have to pay for everything. The company started up a Business Expense Account to help you earn the money to do this. However, this really only benefits the established and flourishing reps, since the money to the account is earned based on your monthly performance. Since it has started, I've only missed out on my BEA one month. But again, very frustrating for someone new to get established and buy promotional items to warm the customers up with. I believe these promo items are more important in the start than later on. The amount to earn this account money keeps going up, and I do believe it to be unreasonable.

To all who are going to give it a shot, I say good luck, work hard, stay determined and don't push the customers for sales. That approach never works. Make a lifelong friendship with them and it can work for you.

Put the utmost confidence in the people you hire. They want the job to work for them as much as you do. Give them the account list (if there is one), not a partial list or no list.
    Support the new people as much as possible, more free samples, catalogs and promotional items. This company is established well enough to do that. If you have doubts about the person, don't hire them! Search for the right person, then support from the inside, support from the outside, support with knowledge, support with marketing items and supplies. It is worth it for the long term and growth of the company.
    You almost lost me. ;)

Misleading of position, unprofessional

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pro Chem, Inc.

Pros

Great for someone who is an agressive/cold/immediate closer sales person who is not looking for longterm relationships.

Cons

I will start by stating that I have never rated any other companies before but felt that others should know what they are getting into. I looked at this site prior to taking a position with ProChem and only saw one positive review. I want people to know that it is not all positive and that they should have more information to make an informed decision on taking a position with the company.

ProChem on the outside appears to be a family-friendly company. The appearance is a facade. Without going on a tangent, I will state facts only. First, the sales goals upon hire are unrealistic. The base salary is not good, but when you are hired, you are told that the sales goals are very realistic and are uncapped so you believe that the base salary is not anything you have to worry about. The sales commissions are indeed uncapped, however they are not tangible goals. Also, you are expected to pay for your own sales tools such as catalogs, paperwork, samples, etc. There is no sick/vacation time. If you are sick or want to take a vacation, you are going with no pay. The insurance package is also not great as you pay a great deal from your paycheck but I have been accustomed to not having to pay out for insurance so this could have been the issue.

Once hired I was able to gain an understanding of what exactly goes on within the company. Not only are the upper management extremely unprofessional, they hire family members to lead the company. This leads to incompetent leadership. ProChem is misleading towards the angle of sales approach. Their approach is aggressive and cold. If you are not selling, you are told that you will be fired, however, inappropriate training leads to this result so unless one is an agressive/cold salesperson, you are set up for failure. Being from the sales field for 10 years, I know that building relationships, excellent customer service, and soft sales that lead to longterm success and more sales over time. This may be great for someone who is not friendly and does not care about the customers.

Another large issue is not knowing who you are reporting to. It is unclear as to who your management is and can change often without you knowing. There are staff members who are in a position to be supportive of you and are not. Instead, they are derogatory and unprofessional and while training, take you to do their own personal errands rather than show you the ropes. There are some emoloyees who have been with the company for more than 10 years and honestly, it was made apparent to me that I would not be comfortable lowering my standards to be one of those employees. The success of many has nothing to do with their sales skills.

I would recommend as a potential employee, do your homework and dig deep. It sounds like a great job on the outside and a great company who will stand by you when you need support, however, this is not the case. I was not successful as I was not informed of the requirements of me and exactly the population I would call upon. Note, your beliefs of going to companies to score huge accounts/sales are not what this company wants. They want more than 20 stops in a day and for you to have immediate sales.

Be honest about expectations and the reality of the position. Be sure to tell potential employees what is expected of them as far as stops and sales go.
    Hire experienced trainers that have this type of sales experience, not family members who have not actually done this job.