ProAssurance Reviews

W. Stancil (Stan) Starnes

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, and they don't micro-manage

Cons

Some guidelines are not exactly clear.

2. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Intern in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Great experience fun and challenging

Cons

sometimes fun and interesting. Better communication

Excellent.

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. I can’t speak for all salaries, but mine is about 25% more than most of my friends/peers with comparable education and in similar fields. I’m sure it varies widely by department and function, though. Benefits are solid. Vacation time is very good. The company makes a point to emphasize employee development and strives to promote internally (Cliché, but true). Stock is doing well and you can get options very quickly. Senior leadership seems hyper-competent and has direction. The customer sincerely comes first so you can go home feeling good about yourself. A national leader.

Cons

Admittedly, professional liability insurance and risk management consulting isn’t the sexiest field, but it can be interesting as you learn the nuances of it and all the details that play into your job function. Yes, some idiots slip into every company, but they’re few and far between here, and they don’t make it very far. It is a multi-billion dollar corporation, so some things can move somewhat bureaucratically, but relatively better than other corporations I’ve worked with. ProAss can be a bit conservative and slow to adopt new solutions and ways to solve problems, so it will be interesting to see how it affects them in the future, but I’m very happy here.

Advice to Management

Embrace more change and try to reduce some of the bureaucracy to make the company more reactive to new situations.

A good company, good benefits, positive culture, but light on salary & advancement

Former Employee - Senior Risk Management Consultant in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Risk Management Consultant in Birmingham, AL

I worked at ProAssurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Positive culture. Supportive environment. Good stability. Strong senior leadership.

Cons

Lower than average salaries paid. Difficult to advance, advancement decisions not based on merit.

I was allowed to be a professional and treated as such.

Current Employee - Claims
    Current Employee - Claims

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company culture is one of success and teamwork. Since we work with professional individuals as clients (physicians, dentists, podiatrists, and attorneys), we are encourages to ensure they are treated fairly. Salaries are extremely competitive with generous benefits. Management is connected to the overall sentiment of the employees and seek to know how improvements can be made.

Cons

Training beyond industry needs is nonexistent. When I started, I came from the insurance industry but from a different genre than what ProAssurance offers. I asked if any designations/additional training is necessary. I was told that I did not need this type of training because I would be trained on the job. Unfortunately, I struggled during my second and third years as I had reached the extent of my knowledge. The only training I received was negative reviews coupled with constant reminders that needed to do better but no information on how to do it.. Fast forward several years after doing it my way, and being promoted, I read manuals for industry training. The information in these manuals was EXACTLY what I needed back then! That was a lesson for me. I must be persistent when I know I can benefit from a specific training.

Advice to Management

Increase the amount of educational benefit.

7. It was a good experience.

Pros

The company has excellent bonuses.

Cons

The insurance benefits are not that good; compared to other companies.

8. Fairly treated

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management of the company treats its employees well. The benefits were good and salary competitive.

Cons

If you are working outside of the home office, it can be challenging to keep up with the ongoing changes. They have their formula for managing the insureds and do not deviate from that plan.

Advice to Management

Establish more ways for employees to contribute feedback for growth of organization. The company is very profitable but needs to find ways to grow organically, not just through acquisitions.

9. Loved the job, very satisfying work.

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work - life balance was great! Benefits were awesome!

Cons

Office culture, to many favorites, some employees took advantage of PTO. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Office culture and leadership needs to be addressed, to much drama, employees and management took advantage of lunch hours.

10. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanaway, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanaway, WA

I worked at ProAssurance (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and a good corporate atmosphere make this a good company to work for. They strive to treat customers and employees fairly.

Cons

Your best bet to work well with this company is to work in corporate in Birmingham. Remote offices tend to get a little less attention and the treated fairly motto sometimes misses the mark.

Advice to Management

Get a better handle on career advancement in ALL departments. Bets way to lose good talent is to not have a career path for them.

11. Mixed-Feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The company had great benefits especially for a smaller-sized company....Great time off as well as 401(k) and insurance.

Cons

I do feel that there are extreme communication issues from top to bottom that could be prevented. Most people were only promoted because of "lip-service".

RSS Feed </> Embed