ProBuild

Be The First To
Add Photos

ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank

Robert Marchbank

Pros:
  • "The compensation and benefits offered here are extremely generous"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Flexibility for a work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Raises are given to upper management but not to the hard working employees that accomplish everything"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The best talent is leaving and and new good talent doesn't stick around for long"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

so good and so bad

Outside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCan be very rewarding in sales, if you are able to land a big account or two. Some locations have great people and teams.

ConsThin margin line ensures we will always hire the cheapest person available and provide the bare minimum training to do the job, resulting in headaches when unqualified people make bad decisions. Then they get fired or quit and we hire... the cheapest person available, and provide minimal training to them...
Sales should spend more time politicking with management to pick up accounts rather than prospecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better GM's. I worked for the same fantastic GM twice, would follow him in a heartbeat if he left. Ive had 4 really bad, not qualified GMs as well, all are gone, did more damage than good.

Suffering through change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat goals and the need to change

ConsSome Director level personal resist process change and restrict much needed process improvements

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and promote process and quality improvement change

Company Structure Needs Work

Payroll Tax Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at ProBuild full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are always openings for various positions if you would like to try different departments out.

ConsOffice politics are prevalent here and filter down from VP's and directors. Raises are given to upper management but not to the hard working employees that accomplish everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees better and compensate them for their ability and knowledge

Assembly line work expectations and low compensation with a means-to-an-end mentality toward employees.

Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company's goals of creating a consistent buying experience for home builders at their retail locations is much needed.

ConsThe company tends to take the short view, rather than investing in their employees by making them feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication efforts and show appreciation for employee contributions to the company's goals to improve retention rates.

I enjoyed the time that I was employeed at this company

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Lakewood, NJ

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis company has a lot of pros but the strenght actually comes from the employees at each location and they are the glue to this company.

ConsNone that I would like to mention

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Things are slowly getting better with the addition of Marchbank and Karen Catton

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat group of core employees - - Rob Marchbank seem to understand what needs to be. done. There have been some morale boosting efforts Some changes on the horizon that should make things better at corporate and in the field .Some management is awesome although still top heavy.

ConsThere isn't enough communication -in some instances not enough help for what needs to be one and rarely is appreciation really shown from management . Have heard managers and supervisors talk about their bonus while in over 5 years there has been less than a 2% raise for hourly. Some management is never there and others are over worked to the point you hate to bother them with day to day issues and questions. It is still very political within the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to review job descriptions and compensation in some areas as well as workloads . Some supervisors and managers need to be re-trained on how to deal with employees and learn to lead by example rather than intimidation. The communications with the field and corporate could be better as it could be better even within corporate to departments and some department down to employees.

Never out of contract

Denver, CO

I have been working at ProBuild as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSome nice people to work with

ConsLack of culture, no mobility, too many contract employees. Company doesn't invest in its people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a direction and stick with it

Almost a great place to work, but...

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than a year

ProsFor me, the good news about ProBuild was my immediate supervisor, it is great to work for someone who actually listens to her employees. They also pay pretty well, and my department at least had reasonable work-life balance

ConsThe company has been in disarray, and is currently going through a "Business Process Re-engineering" that should have been done years ago. So currently, they don't know what their processes are going to be, what software they need to support them, or what employees they need to support the software. That resulted in quite a few people, myself included, being laid off. Now, over 3 months later, I hear that there still is very little direction being given, at least within IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet through your BPR project and decide what you need to support those processes. Keep the touchy-feely psycho-babble to a minimum, at least in IT, where the new CIO has brought in a lot of it.

Frustrating

Outside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA Central offiice, large company

ConsToo large and segmented. The POS system is frustrating

My experience at Probuild has been a struggle in many ways but the company finally seems to be on the right track.

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBroad range of knowledge from current employees.

ConsConstant leadership turnover has hindered progress

Worked for ProBuild? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ProBuild reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by ProBuild employees.