ProBuild

Be The First To
Add Photos

ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank

Robert Marchbank

Pros:
  • "The compensation and benefits offered here are extremely generous"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Flexibility for a work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Raises are given to upper management but not to the hard working employees that accomplish everything"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The best talent is leaving and and new good talent doesn't stick around for long"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's ok, but the future is uncertain.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive compensation. You work for a large company that has a lot of buying power and has obtained a big presence in the market.

ConsIt's a very large corporate structure, and with that comes a definite bureaucracy. It can be very difficult to know who is responsible for certain functions. It can be very easy to be passed off to another person or department when it's perceived that your problem is not their job.

They didn't really seem to know what they were doing.

Inside Sales for ProBuild (Current Employee)
Yorkville, IL

I have been working at ProBuild full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA large, nationwide company with lots of opportunities. They have an established presence in most major markets. Owned by Fidelity.

ConsThey did not seem to have any type of plan on how to expand into different markets. When merging all their acquisitions into one entity, instead of taking the best of each company and combining that, they used whatever the largest existing company did.

Company Unsure of Direction

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people in a changing environment. The company has tremendous potential. They want to change the building materials industry and have the mass to do it.

ConsConstantly changing leadership. Strategy and tactics from the parent company Fidelity don't mesh with the industry and local ProBuild leadership is not able to say "No". They don't understand how to implement change. They play with concepts such as "Green" but don't live or believe it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a course that makes sense for the industry. Build the passion. Inspire the field to join in.

The best company i've ever worked for...

Field Improvement Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than a year

ProsUnder the new CEO, positive changes have been made to run the organization more efficiently and effectively.

ConsThe downturn in the housing market makes work more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. Without them, you don't have a job.

Great job except for constant fear of being laid off

IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent and knowledgable people, great team

ConsNo solid direction and very little concrete guidance from managment

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management need to create a plan and stick to it

Accounts Payable Associate

Accounts Payable (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat boss and yearly reviews with end of year bonus.

ConsA lot of work and not enough employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore appreciation

revolving door

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than 10 years

Prosif you are looking for an entry level position without a chance for a raise in over 3 years. its the place for you

ConsAt one time the company was growing and taking care of the people who made it happen. but since the switch over to Denver corporate its been a steady downhill roll. the names and faces chance so often at the top you have to wonder when Marchbank will leave either on his own or from being shown the door. Running a business based upon an ERP implimentation was the craziest thing i have ever seen. I am surprised Fidelity hasn't pulled the plug by now and the way things have been changing. i would expect the sell off within a year or so.

Advice to Senior Managementits time to get away from transparent pricing, cut overhead at the corporate level and get back to what made the legacy locations profitable. take care of the people who made it happen.

needs solid direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for less than a year

ProsPays well but that is a reflection of upper management not knowing the actual market value

ConsNeeds more solid management and direction. Recently centralized functions just to lay off the recent hires.

Trim Puller Lead Man

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at ProBuild full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe compensation and benefits offered here are extremely generous.

ConsTo much reactive, unproductive change. ProBuild is quickly evolving into a company that has a revolving door; people leaving as quickly as they come because of mismanagement and lack of care for employees. What was once a company that exhibited care and concern for its workforce is now one that could care less. The best talent is leaving and and new good talent doesn't stick around for long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut manager employees that care about the employees that work in the warehouse and appreaciate their efforts and skills

Will This Company Turn A Profit ?

Field Improvement Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at ProBuild full-time for less than a year

ProsGood employees are the biggest asset of this company. Good ideas by a few knowledgeable people. A company that has deep reserves and a parent company committed to helping this company succeed.

ConsToo many VP's for a company of this size.. The company is very top heavy and there is a division between the Corporate personnel and the field locations. The people at the corporate office can't see the field through the trees. The field feels like it is US vs THEM. There is no commitment to improve and change things. Too much turnover of good employees. Some employees have called it a revolving door employment agency because they bring people in, keep them for a short period of time, let them go, then try to hire them back after they've made changes. Some people have been back and forth several times. people just seem to come and go after a short stay. The company spends the time to hire quality knowledgeable employees, only to let them go. They do this, yet they keep the ones that are incompetent or can't do their jobs. the only reason they are there is because of WHO THEY KNOW, NOT WHAT THEY KNOW. These are the people that are of no value to the company and should be disposed of instead of talented people.There is NO SECURITY or STABILITY. after all, 4 CEO's in 3 yrs! Talk about turnover!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your house in order before Fidelity has had enough of pouring money into a bottomless pit. Get rid of the dead weight in the corporate office. Thin down the number of VP's and delegate more authority to the competent people that you have. Make better utilization of the extremely talented personnel pool that you employ. Communicate better with the field and help to erase the US vs THEM stigma that the field employees have. Lets face it, the fat is at the corporate office because the locations are trimmed to the bone. As far as wages, this is not the time to take ADVANTAGE of the economy and not pay employees what they are worth. Management personnel are getting pretty well compared to the field. If it was me, that's where I'd be doing the first trimming to bring this company to profitability.

Worked for ProBuild? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ProBuild reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by ProBuild employees.