ProBuild

Be The First To
Add Photos

ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank

Robert Marchbank

Pros
  • The compensation and benefits offered here are extremely generous (in 3 reviews)

• Flexibility for a work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not take the time to learn who their employees are (in 4 reviews)

• Strategy and tactics from the parent company Fidelity don't mesh with the industry and local ProBuild leadership is not able to say "No" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Things are slowly getting better with the addition of Marchbank and Karen Catton

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat group of core employees - - Rob Marchbank seem to understand what needs to be. done. There have been some morale boosting efforts Some changes on the horizon that should make things better at corporate and in the field .Some management is awesome although still top heavy.

ConsThere isn't enough communication -in some instances not enough help for what needs to be one and rarely is appreciation really shown from management . Have heard managers and supervisors talk about their bonus while in over 5 years there has been less than a 2% raise for hourly. Some management is never there and others are over worked to the point you hate to bother them with day to day issues and questions. It is still very political within the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to review job descriptions and compensation in some areas as well as workloads . Some supervisors and managers need to be re-trained on how to deal with employees and learn to lead by example rather than intimidation. The communications with the field and corporate could be better as it could be better even within corporate to departments and some department down to employees.

Never out of contract

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSome nice people to work with

ConsLack of culture, no mobility, too many contract employees. Company doesn't invest in its people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a direction and stick with it

Frustrating

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)

ProsA Central offiice, large company

ConsToo large and segmented. The POS system is frustrating

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Almost a great place to work, but...

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFor me, the good news about ProBuild was my immediate supervisor, it is great to work for someone who actually listens to her employees. They also pay pretty well, and my department at least had reasonable work-life balance

ConsThe company has been in disarray, and is currently going through a "Business Process Re-engineering" that should have been done years ago. So currently, they don't know what their processes are going to be, what software they need to support them, or what employees they need to support the software. That resulted in quite a few people, myself included, being laid off. Now, over 3 months later, I hear that there still is very little direction being given, at least within IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet through your BPR project and decide what you need to support those processes. Keep the touchy-feely psycho-babble to a minimum, at least in IT, where the new CIO has brought in a lot of it.

My experience at Probuild has been a struggle in many ways but the company finally seems to be on the right track.

ProsBroad range of knowledge from current employees.

ConsConstant leadership turnover has hindered progress

Eye opening

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLow stress, encourage friendships, good hours

ConsThey do not acknowledge hard work, experience, dedication and knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention

Design

ProsHuge investment in technology and continue to match 401 k

ConsMid-level / Lower level management seems disconnected with front line staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey front line employees for direct feedback.Compile information and make corrections as needed

A 23 year career derailed

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe company exposed us to a wide view of the building industry with a vision to transform the way building materials are distributed.

ConsThe national view and methods to sell large builders hurt the local relationships and heart of the relationships with custom builders and remodelers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to local management. They are in the market and know the local buyers. The relationships built over long periods of time are being torn apart.

Outside Sales

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation plan is very attractive, for those with a mind to produce good profits for the company.

ConsCommunication, at least on the local level is lacking. Training programs could be established, and a culture of sharing information, and best practices would be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Reduce overlap of sales areas, it's hard enough, without competing with other branches.

Good Place to work

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGood staff and management. Flexible schedule.

ConsChange in commission schedule makes it hard to justify selling volume builders

Worked for ProBuild? Contribute to the Community!