ProBuild

Updated November 9, 2014
3.1

ProBuild CEO Robert Marchbank
Robert Marchbank

Pros
  • The compensation and benefits offered here are extremely generous (in 3 reviews)

• Flexibility for a work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not take the time to learn who their employees are (in 4 reviews)

• The best talent is leaving and and new good talent doesn't stick around for long (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Over 10 years of painful, regretful remorse

Former Employee - CDL/A Driver
    Former Employee - CDL/A Driver

I worked at ProBuild full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I'm not sure if I can find anything positive to say about my experiences at Pro-build. Perhaps being laid off at the height of the economic down turn was the best thing I ever experienced there. This action afforded me the opportunity to find an employer that puts value on its workforce.

Cons

Management tends to reward complainers,so as not to have to"hear it" and pass unpleasant tasks onto people who just get it done, regardless. This practice is common, and as you can expect, causes animosity, and loss of morale in the ranks.

"Corporate" should take a look at what is happening right under their noses. Local managers tell you what you want to hear, but you continue to lose valuable talent. There is a reason qualified people are leaving in record numbers, employees called back never return, and customer base is shrinking,Take a moment and really check this out, won't you?

My experience with ProBuild was good.

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lakeville, MN

I worked at ProBuild full-time

Pros

They have decent benefits and treat people with respect while also providing some upward mobility. This company is always expanding, providing opportunities if someone is willing to travel.

Cons

The worst part about ProBuild is that they take every location and treat them all the same, regardless of where it is and what it is producing. IT is very helpful, and HR is worthless.

If I were to speak directly to upper management I would suggest that they listen to the suggestions of each location and try to help them solve a problem.Instead of forcing their solution, which is typically not even close to the target.

Awful Corporation

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at ProBuild full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are adequate.
    Bonuses based on overall sales of store

Cons

Overwork employees, understaff stores. Won't approve of hiring help. Employees are very under appreciated. No raise for anyone in years.

rear view mirror

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ProBuild full-time

Pros

Operators are very experienced in their markets and will drive future success in the company's performance.

Cons

Executive leadership has changed 5 times in 6 years with as many directional shifts in the company's direction. The corporate atmosphere is poor and key executives don't exemplify the very culture they state is so important - one that cares about their people.

Be aware of how much damage some executives are doing to the moral of employees and the integrity of your vendor relationships.

horrible, bunch of under qualified employees

I worked at ProBuild as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

the manager was nice, the recruiter I worked with was nice, nice building...

Cons

too much politics. it seems like people who work there are all under qualified and only got the job because they knew someone in the company. the people who are smarter and more hardworker are the ones who get bullied and are out of clicks... oh, and it seems like I was working for Facebook because everyone is on their Facebook all day! I was offered a full-time employee but I turned it down due to the employees!

hire smart, hard-working people! stop with hiring bunch of under qualified employees who want to bully the smarter employees. what a pathetic company.

Very dissapointed employee of 14 yrs

Current Employee - Lumberyard in Lakeview, OR
    Current Employee - Lumberyard in Lakeview, OR

I have been working at ProBuild full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I honestly can not think of any since probuild took over what used to be lumbermans 5 yrs ago

Cons

No raises in 5 yrs since it became probuild,no more bonuses, unprofessional manager, no incentives at all anymore,like employee of the quarter,perfect attendance,ect. I have worked for what use to be lumbermans and is not probuild for almost 14 yrs and in the last 5 yrs since probuild took over i have watched alot of changes take place that have diminished the employees self esteem. I have not called in sick in 5 yrs and work out in the yard have since day one and am only making a lousy 11.70 an hr with no raise for the last 5 yrs. I would like someone to justify this to me.

Constant change, no training, poor leadership

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at ProBuild full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here gives you experience on what NOT to do as a department manager/director. If you like change, they have plenty of it with very little employee retention.

Cons

Low pay. Management is too busy covering their tails to help develop the skills/training of their subordinates. Management (supervisor, manager, director) positions are typically held less than 18 months per person.

Train and develop your staff. Develop a department action plan and instead of scrapping it and starting fresh every four months, work out the kinks and move forward.

Misfit

Former Employee - Component Tech in Milton, FL
    Former Employee - Component Tech in Milton, FL

I worked at ProBuild full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They do keep a lot of work due to large sale force.

Cons

Abundance of dissension among employees. If you are an employee for this company you need to watch your back because you may find yourself becoming someones scapegoat. If you are an outsider you may be judged the moment you walk through the door. They also take advantage of hardworking employees, continually working them into the ground.

Better manage the talents of employees and coordinate them appropriately. For a company that is so large you would think they would have the resources to better train employees that may have limited experience in a particular position.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Loadbuilder in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Loadbuilder in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at ProBuild full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good group of employees, respectful work atmosphere, all in all a good place to work.

Cons

Hourly pay could be higher

In need of vision, but opportunities exist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ProBuild (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of things to accomplish yet - so plenty of interesting work to do
    -housing industry will come roaring back some day
    -good CEO in place finally after a couple years of leadership turmoil

Cons

-mission, vision and corporate direction still being formed. Therefore no collective vision for everyone to work towards
    -IT operations can be painful to work with
    -lack of standard processes in the field drives inefficiencies

Define the goals and vision for the company and align all activities to those goals